Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He kinda did though, the points weren’t there but Heiskanen was downright amazing.

The only objective measure where Heiskanen bested Dahlin this season was team results.

Old school counting stats and analytics all favored Dahlin.

Plus, Dahlin was younger and had the lesser supporting cast.

It's OK for Homers to homer. Just stay at home when you homer.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Dahlin was younger
Heiskanen was never in the league at his age, he wasn't ready like Dahlin was. This is very important.

I also think you have two separate kind of defensive men: The speedy, fast ones, think of players such as Makar, Heiskanen, Hughes. On the other side there are players like Dahlin, who have a very different type structure to their game. He commands it differently, with more poise and calculus. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years Dahlin will be referred to as the General.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He kinda did though, the points weren’t there but Heiskanen was downright amazing.

Teams were less likely to score when Dahlin was on the ice than Miro.

Teams were less likely to have a shot attempt when Dahlin was on the ice than Miro.

Dahlin had a bigger effect on teammates expected scoring than Miro.

Dahlin set up more primary scoring chances than Miro...and almost every other D in the league regardless of age.

Dahlin gets his shots through to the net at a higher rate than Miro...and almost every other D in the league regardless of age.

These aren’t opinions.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Teams were less likely to score when Dahlin was on the ice than Miro.

Teams were less likely to have a shot attempt when Dahlin was on the ice than Miro.

Dahlin had a bigger effect on teammates expected scoring than Miro.

Dahlin set up more primary scoring chances than Miro...and almost every other D in the league regardless of age.

Dahlin gets his shots through to the net at a higher rate than Miro...and almost every other D in the league regardless of age.

These aren’t opinions.

Didn't even touch on his carries from d-zone to o-zone, which also were near the very top of the league (and not just among defensemen), and that's despite not having Heiskanen's straight-line speed.

Reactions: Mortiz

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
You guys don't get it. All the analytics said Dahlin was better but the only thing that matters, the eye test, told me that Heiskanen had the better year. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mattilaus

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You guys don't get it. All the analytics said Dahlin was better but the only thing that matters, the eye test, told me that Heiskanen had the better year. :sarcasm:
And by eye test I mean the 2 games Dahlin played against Dallas this season (funnily enough 2 of his worst performances iirc).

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
It's going to be hysterical reading the blowback if Dahlin ends up winning. It's already quite funny as is since Heiskanen was "snubbed" by the Dahlin selection according to the baseless comments on the main board. These happened to be my top three nominees as well.

Reactions: Mortiz

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Petterson is winning. Dahlin will be hurt in balloting anyway by voters who think like Dallas fans. Dallas is better...so, in spite of all evidence and proof...Miro gets my vote above Dahlin and it hurts Dahlin in the final tally. You know there are a lot of the voting block that is stuck in the past.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are some press types who have already expressed their opinions on it - guys like Friedman and Shannon who were public with their ballots. I don't expect Dahlin to win it at all.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
If Heiskanen fans have beef it should be with Binnington, yeah I know how important he is to the Blues success, but 25 yr olds who play 33 games shouldnt be eligible imo, even if he is a 'rookie'.

Guy was drafted 8 years ago.
He's important to the blues by virtue of being mediocre or better, because that's all they needed. Too many people are acting like Jordan dragged a bad team out of the pits of hell like Hasek and those Sabres teams. In reality, he gave them stability instead of the worst goaltending in the league like they were getting before, which allowed their hockey team, which was an utter defensive machine, to get the results it actually deserved by posting the best defensive metrics of any NHL team by a fair margin down the stretch.

What Dahlin, Heiskanen, and Pettersson had to do for an entire NHL season was way more difficult than what Jordan had to do for 30 games. As a result, their accomplishments are way more noteworthy.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Calder cutoff should be at 23 and Heiskanen should be a finalist. I don't even think goalies should be eligible, I don't trust any of them before they've played at least two full seasons (nevermind one half).

Reactions: Aladyyn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad