Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Jack Eichel is an amazing talent. But, it’s incredibly obvious too see that Rasmus Dahlin is just a special special hockey player. He does things in a game that current franchise defenders in the game today can’t do. He’s going to be so good. The gap between Dahlin and the rest of that draft class was rightfully deserved.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If Rasmus never moved to D at 14 he still would have been the number one pick as a forward.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If Rasmus never moved to D at 14 he still would have been the number one pick as a forward.

Most definitely. I would expect he would have been at center, and would have been the best two way Center prospect since Barkov, with an even higher offensive ceiling.

The nutso thing about Dahlin in comparison to Eichel, who is our only player of his ilk since LaFontaine, is how much more physical growth Dahlin has to give.

Kid has easily twenty pounds to add without hurting his athleticism and my god, let him put in another couple summers of shooting practice, and he has no material weaknesses.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

BUFFALO, N.Y. — It was inevitable Rasmus Dahlin was going to play a lot of minutes at a time in the NHL. What’s most striking is how quickly the Sabres rookie earned them regularly.

After playing 20 or more minutes in a game four times in his first 18 games, including his NHL debut, Dahlin has played 20+ minutes in 11 of the past 12 games and has averaged 23:02 over that span. Dahlin’s time to shine has arrived and, while that’s not much of a surprise considering his talent and ability, it’s been a learning process for him.

“I didn’t really come in with expectations. I didn’t know how it should go,” Dahlin said. “Of course everyone wants to play a lot of minutes, but now when I play I feel comfortable with a lot of minutes. It feels, of course, better. I feel more comfortable out there.”

It’s well known that the 18-year-old defensive phenomenon had to adjust to playing both in the NHL and on the smaller ice surface in North America. But for any defensive prospect taken that high in the draft, the more anticipated progression is when the reins will loosen — and the rest will follow.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
I'm surprised no one mentioned the goal he handed to Luff. All he had to do is play the man but he tried to get cute with his stick and it ended up in the back of Sabres net.

He *is* an amazing talent, but he still has so much to learn.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm surprised no one mentioned the goal he handed to Luff. All he had to do is play the man but he tried to get cute with his stick and it ended up in the back of Sabres net.

The issue for me is more that he didn't play baseball growing up. He should have jumped up and grabbed the puck with his left hand before Luff could have legally hit it with his stick.

Taking the body in that situation is tough as it is interference if he hits Luff before Luff touches the puck.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I remember last year a guy ranking Svechnikov above Dahlin, that guys opinion should never be taken seriously again. The gap between the two is probably bigger then the gap between McDavid and Eichel

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking on that play at all. I can see a case for not wanting to get called for a glove pass, but he was just going to get called for playing the puck with a high stick anyway so I can't see the logic in not catching the puck. If Hutton was in net he would have come out and caught it himself.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking on that play at all. I can see a case for not wanting to get called for a glove pass, but he was just going to get called for playing the puck with a high stick anyway so I can't see the logic in not catching the puck. If Hutton was in net he would have come out and caught it himself.

A hand pass wasn't really a concern since that is legal in the defensive zone.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

The issue for me is more that he didn't play baseball growing up. He should have jumped up and grabbed the puck with his left hand before Luff could have legally hit it with his stick.

Taking the body in that situation is tough as it is interference if he hits Luff before Luff touches the puck.

I didn't have an issue with that play. If the roles are reversed and a Sabre deflects a high lob pass at full speed then goes in and dekes for a nice backhand goal, everyone goes bananas and no one gives a thought about the defenseman on the other team. Sure Dahlin could have played it differently, but that play from the LA kid deserves a hat tip more than anything else.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’m surprised there aren’t more videos of that insane no-look setup that Eichel fanned on.

Dahlin had everyone on the ice tricked into thinking he was gonna shoot that puck...Eichel included, unfortunately. (Looked to me like Jack was scrambling to react to a pass he wasn't anticipating.)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Dahlin had everyone on the ice tricked into thinking he was gonna shoot that puck...Eichel included, unfortunately. (Looked to me like Jack was scrambling to react to a pass he wasn't anticipating.)
Now that he knows to expect it, I predict they'll cash in five of those no-look passes over the rest of the season. Rasmus is a weapon on that right side.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It’s a rare unusual play in general, not much to really talk about and it came up in the game thread.

As Jim Bob’s replay shows, it looks like a couple Sabres, Dahlin included thought it hit the Jumbotron.

I doubt it will be a continuous issue.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Now that he knows to expect it, I predict they'll cash in five of those no-look passes over the rest of the season. Rasmus is a weapon on that right side.

Ya, as soon as Jack understands that Dahlin is not a rookie with the puck on his stick, lots of easy points could come.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It’s a rare unusual play in general, not much to really talk about and it came up in the game thread.

As Jim Bob’s replay shows, it looks like a couple Sabres, Dahlin included thought it hit the Jumbotron.

I doubt it will be a continuous issue.

I think they were hoping it was played with a high stick.

Reactions: GellMann
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->