Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota
Great so we got a Ekbld-lite with acne problems. :sarcasm:

I love the comparison with Ekblad. Mostly because I think Ekblad's early success was to a large degree dependent on him developing physically before his peers. Ekbad's was incredibly young his rookie year, but if you looked at pictures you'd never guess. Dahlin plays mature, but he has so much potential left from basic physical development. Acne including.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d like to see a breakdown of Dahlin’s usage in comparison. I remember how Ekblad was sheltered with an overwhelming amount of offensive zone starts when comparing him to Ristolainen at the time. They were like polar opposites which was why I was always impressed at the numbers Risto managed to get

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Dahlin if he plays the entire season will possibly take over 2nd place for points by an 18 year old dman. Ekblad actually only scored 29 points as an 18 year old (29 in the first 50, turned 19 then scored 10 in the last 32)

Season is not even half over and he is already in the top 10 for points by 18 year old dmen. And he did not get going offensively until a month or so into the season.

Dahlin is absolutely a generational player. There has not been a dman this good offensively as an 18 year old in 35 years. Add the entire package and Dahlin will be a guy who plays 27 minutes a night and scores 65+ points year in and year out.

I think 12 x 8 is looking very likely for him. Who would have thunk 5 years ago that at Xmas 2018 we would own not only a superstar 100 point two way center but a generational soon to be best dman in the entire league.

The scary thing is there is an astronomical jump for high end dman from their first year or two until they hit 20, 21 and year 2-3. Doughty, Karlsson etc... if Dahlin ends up a 45 point 21 minute a night dman at 18 even as soon as next year he may have a top 10 Norris type season.
I think they will not pay anyone more than Eichel.
Maybe if the % of the cap is not higher than Eichels when he signs whatever the cap will be in 3 years

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I hope I never lose interest in finding new music. Music and hockey are like the two things that mainly bring me joy nowadays. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have Death Grips and Arial Pink in my life.

Ariel Pink is RnR hall of fame-level good imo. Literally the best artist making music today...so cool to learn there’s a fellow fan on here!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I found it.

Ekblad started over 61% of his time in the Ozone as a rookie. Dahlin starts less than half.
There's really no comparison. Ekblad was a man child getting heavey o-zone starts while Dahlin is still a slender frame getting more d-zone starts. This doesn't take into account that Dahlin still may end up with 5+ points on Ekblad by the end of the season.

Reactions: Fearnot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
And that's not to take anything away from Ekblad who had one of the finest rookie seasons a young d has ever had. It's more to score the point that Dahlin is special.

I mean if our powerplay ever gets going look out.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
There's really no comparison. Ekblad was a man child getting heavey o-zone starts while Dahlin is still a slender frame getting more d-zone starts. This doesn't take into account that Dahlin still may end up with 5+ points on Ekblad by the end of the season.
Considering he’s 7 points up on him right now, that seems safe.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Agree on all this. Particularly the physical development and style of play.

Dahlin has the least impressive physique, in terms of maturity of any 1st overall pick, other than Ryan Nugent Hopkins, since who? Sedin?

And he still just plays like a star already. When he puts on 15-20 lbs over the next year or so... the peak for him is just impossible to know.

Would anyone be surprised for him at age 20-21, to be one of the best open ice hitters in the league, who scores 55 points a year and is shutdown in his own end?

Or at the same age he is focused on transition offense, doesn’t waste energy and potential injury on big hits and cheats a touch more offensively and puts up 80 points, while still being an above average defender?

Bobby Orr 2.0 will do whatever he wants.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If scoring continues like it is this season into the future he’s going to be close to a PPG player.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

The plaudits are everywhere for Rasmus Dahlin, like the one that compared him to the Detroit Red Wings legend. From his teammates. From rivals. From the oohs and ahhs that emanate from the KeyBank Center stands. There have been superstar moments for Dahlin in the first half of his rookie season. There have been, well, rookie moments too.

Most games, the Buffalo Sabres' first No. 1 overall draft pick in 31 years has been as good as advertised, quickly establishing that he's going to be a cornerstone of this franchise for many years.

"It's been unreal so far," Dahlin told The Buffalo News on Friday. "We've played really good at times. I've played really good at times. Other times are tougher. But it's been a great start. I couldn't be happier. I'm all settled in with the boys, part of this team. It's been great."

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

The plaudits are everywhere for Rasmus Dahlin, like the one that compared him to the Detroit Red Wings legend. From his teammates. From rivals. From the oohs and ahhs that emanate from the KeyBank Center stands. There have been superstar moments for Dahlin in the first half of his rookie season. There have been, well, rookie moments too.

Most games, the Buffalo Sabres' first No. 1 overall draft pick in 31 years has been as good as advertised, quickly establishing that he's going to be a cornerstone of this franchise for many years.

"It's been unreal so far," Dahlin told The Buffalo News on Friday. "We've played really good at times. I've played really good at times. Other times are tougher. But it's been a great start. I couldn't be happier. I'm all settled in with the boys, part of this team. It's been great."

I assume that we're talking about Larkin here....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I didn't say his name 3 times, so I should be good...

tenor.gif

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think hockey players put THAT much emphasis or importance on individual awards like some fans do?

I tend to think they don’t care all that much about “look at me and what I did” awards. Team awards are most likely coveted more.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Do you think hockey players put THAT much emphasis or importance on individual awards like some fans do?

I tend to think they don’t care all that much about “look at me and what I did” awards. Team awards are most likely coveted more.

I think they do , even if they don’t say it.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Jamie Storr probably read this and just laughed at you while holding his 2 (yes, 2 not 1) All-Rookie Team trophies.

And yes, players do care about awards and recognition just like anyone does in a job

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Just like any group of people, some care more than others.

I knew people who were excellent players who got furious if they didn’t get named player of the game or tournament mvp.

And other players who threw away team trophies that were 2nd place and not first.

Competition and people bring out all shades.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just like any group of people, some care more than others.

I knew people who were excellent players who got furious if they didn’t get named player of the game or tournament mvp.

And other players who threw away team trophies that were 2nd place and not first.

Competition and people bring out all shades.

I’ve been around fans and athletes all my life who don’t put any weight on individual achievement trophies and accolades for team sports.

I find it just odd (from my own personal POV) how some fans say things like “ZOMG so and so better get the [individual back patting trophy] or I’m gonna be so pissed” or “when so and so earns a [individual back patting trophy] that’s when I’ll recognize him as a top 5 so and so in the league”. Just too much weight and emphasis on it.

If Dahlin or any player on the Sabres never get an “individual achievement” trophy, I couldn’t possibly care less. It doesn’t move the needle for me on how I feel about them as a player. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->