Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If we are being honest here, Buffalos defense is still pretty shaky. I’m not sure how Housley and Botterill did it but they have Nelson and Beaulieu playing respectable hockey in their roles. With that said,Dahlin has been Buffalos most consistent ES defenseman posting 53% CF%, which is near elite terroritory. The Sabres have generated more corsi events with him on the ice than any other player, even more than Risto who has averaged more than 3 ESTOI/gm.

Dahlin is 6th on the team in GF/60 and is the best defenseman. He’s third in defenseman (Beaulieu/Nelson) in GA/60, but those two play much lower event hockey than the rest of the top 4.

Yes, Dahlin has some defensive gaffs but he has not only been our most effective defenseman offensively, he’s been solid defensively, and he’s almost assuredly our most consistent 5v5 dman. In the first twenty games or so Dahlin was mostly <20min TOI all situations (5/20). The last five: 23,22 23.5, 23, 24. Hes our number one defenseman right now, even if he’s not getting the toughest matchups.

Steve Smith

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe I’m in the minority. I was at the game, and I thought Bogo and Dahlin together weren’t very good. In terms of reading off each other and knowing what the other is doing etc ... it was very noticeable in the 1st period at least :dunno:

I liked Risto getting less ice time though.

I'm not a fan of that pairing either. Bogosian's slipped after a nice return from injury - he's making unforced errors far too often again that mostly haven't hurt the team because Hutton/Ullmark are regularly bailing him out. However, that can't continue if they're going to let Dahlin roam (which entails some inherent risk) at the same time as they should. It's going to burn them and it should be the vet who raises his play but it will probably continue to be the kid who makes the adjustment.

Coming back around to Dahlin, he's quietly assumed the rookie lead in assists and he's quietly picked up 8 points in this 10-game streak. He's 25 games into his NHL career and he's already making such a difference at both ends of the ice. We saw it last night on the d-zone breakup in OT against Karlsson that he then follows up with a crafty play to get the puck to a dangerous area that allowed Skinner to win it.

Reactions: sabrebuild

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm watching the games. What are you watching?
I am watching Dahlin when he steps on the ice, his positioning, skating, what situations he is used, what plays he makes or prevents, not just staring at the TV.

My only complaint about Dahlin is he would shoot more on the power play. Everyone else misses the net most of the time.

Abraham de Lacy

One thing I like about him is the arrogance. He seems to think he can beat anyone and has this gigantic self-confidence. Here is an example; last year in the SHL he was asked by a reporter:

How do you keep calm under those fast-paced intensive situations? (this was in regards to some spectacular play or other ..) His answer: Well, I try to avoid those situations altogether.

Expert commentators in the studio were laughing. I was laughing .. It was incomprehensible that he did not find it stressful.

That's arrogance. And he did make mistakes that hurt the team but polished it off during the next series of games when they happened. He seemed to develop at a way higher pace than anyone else.

It was like he was downloading the SHL like the Matrix, with NEO waking up and exclaiming "I know kung-fu!" Well, not quite like that but still fast.

He learns quickly and improves everyone around him at the same time. He is going to plateau eventually.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Touching on the Bogo/Dahlin pairing, the one huge massive stark I'm-smacking-myself-in-the-forehead thing I noticed is that Dahlin is an A+ passer and Bogo a D-. Even behind the net, passing from the Thar Be Dragons! corners, Bogo was sailing the puck to Dahlin's skates, while Rasmus can launch a rocket back, off the boards, tape-to-tape.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Maybe it was brought up already, but they finally corrected the score sheet and gave dahlin the assist on Skinner’s game winner.

9 points and +9 during the 10 game win streak.
I kinda foresee him becoming a near Point per Game type of player each year, perhaps topping out around 80 points.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Maybe it was brought up already, but they finally corrected the score sheet and gave dahlin the assist on Skinner’s game winner.

Awesome. He’s starting to not-so-quietly collect points, and it’s only a matter of time until he really breaks out with a 3-4 pt game.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Awesome, Biron said it wouldn't happened. He made an awesome play there and I am happy he got an assist.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I love the Dahlin/Bogo pair specifically because of how much I laugh watching Bogosian throw pucks up the wall to nowhere while behind his own net with time and space after seeing Dahlin hit the right play immediately the last time. It’s. Hysterical.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Today was by far his worst game of the season. Just brutal. Had a nice rush or two but poor pinches, couldn’t control the puck, errant passes.

Nothing to worry about, sure he will figure it out.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
He had some nice moments. His passing through the neutral zone is great. Effortless-looking tape to tape passes.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
He's had some rough games as of late but he's 18 so I don't fault him at all for having them. He's an incredible hockey player

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Dahlin is another interesting candidate. Obviously the Buffalo Sabres are the league’s most surprising story this season, and the fact that they are picking up so many wins with a blueline that was utterly shambolic nine months ago speaks volumes.

Dahlin has been a major calming presence on that blueline – he is third amongst Sabres defencemen in ice time, but when he is on the ice, the Sabres are generating heaps of offence. So much so that Dahlin is actually third amongst all rookies in scoring, despite playing a position that doesn’t lend itself to accumulating big point totals.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hello Mr Dahlin.
It is December and getting dark , can you please light it up in these dark times. Eat your extra D vitamines, you shades of pale person and get going. If you could do that, that would be great. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad