Speculation: Ranking the RFA Signings

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
in 4 years a good # of players on this list will be making more than marner.
in the 5th year timo meier will make 10 million MINIMUM.

And in 5 years, Marner will only have one season left before he either bolts the Leafs or makes a ton more...

The Sharks save a whole lot more than that for 4 years

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So he's the second worst contract this summer based on nothing besides you not liking him. Seems Reasonable.

What more do you want, exactly? Is this not a subjective ranking or are you expecting to find every poster explaining their spreadsheets and analytics to flesh out their decisions? OP asked for our opinion and I gave it, don't whine to me when it doesn't match yours. If you want objective analysis, we have some very intelligent posters here who will provide it when they see fit, or you can do the research yourself and form your own opinion.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You were the one who brought up Detroit and now according to you, I'm the one who's putting the focus on Detroit, that's awesome dude. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

You said that Detroit won as many playoff series as the Leafs over the last 5 years and then said "that's as current of an example as you're gonna get." as if that was somehow relevant. Go back and re-read your posts if your memory is that bad, sheesh.

Enormous reading comprehension failure once again, I never said any such thing. But what the oddsmakers say is certainly a better predictor of what this season will bring then your idiotic "my really bad team has won as many playoff series as your really good team" argument, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.

What's pathetic is ... well, pretty much every one of your posts I've responded to. Bring up Detroit and then claiming I did is perhaps at the top of the list.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We were well off the subject of Detroit for quite awhile, you only went back to it once your point about odds failed miserably.

Secondly, I didn’t bring up Detroit, that was Crazy Monkey, and you know that because you liked the post.

Finally, you want to talk reading comprehension, let’s talk reading comprehension. I never said Detroit has as good a chance to be successful as Toronto this year, I said that despite Detroit sucking and Toronto having their best year, they still win the same amount of playoff series.

Keep grasping at those straws though. Your Leafs brethren are behind you. :thumbu:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The leaf's best competition window was the last 3 years when the core were on their ELCs. They could have extended it by not overpaying their core and use that RFA year advantage. Now that they are overpaid (by your own admission), that window of cup competition has not been extended. Maybe the leafs still make the playoffs (not guaranteed either since 82 game seasons require depth), but there is literally no room to go for it in any year. The leafs are like the post cup blackhawks.

I remember hearing this about Washington, Pittsburgh, LA etc.

Good players win championships. Going out of your way to try to make them feel hopeless is a sad exercise.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
What more do you want, exactly? Is this not a subjective ranking or are you expecting to find every poster explaining their spreadsheets and analytics to flesh out their decisions? OP asked for our opinion and I gave it, don't whine to me when it doesn't match yours. If you want objective analysis, we have some very intelligent posters here who will provide it when they see fit, or you can do the research yourself and form your own opinion.

Okay here's my research. McAvoy is 21 years old, Just led the Eastern Conference champs in there run to game 7 of the cup finals in ice time as there #1 defense-man and is signed for less than 5 million dollars.

How on earth is that the second worst contract signed this summer.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
And in 5 years, Marner will only have one season left before he either bolts the Leafs or makes a ton more...

The Sharks save a whole lot more than that for 4 years

Are you to going talk money or term?
Good for the Sharks (who you don't give a damn about)

In those 5 yrs how many of his class are going to their teams, asking for more?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Followed by 9 pages of leafs fans arguing this same point over and over again and talking about how they are garunteed to make the playoffs and have a top 10 defense and goalie and the best offense in the league.
No, followed by a bunch of anti-Leaf individuals baiting Leaf fans by making ridiculous claims.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
every single comparable here is wrong

2) Matthews vs Eichel? Seriously. Eichel hasnt hit 30g yet, Matthews hasnt not hit 30. Matthews 40g as a rookie then ppg+ years 2 and 3...eichel didnt hit ppg until his 4th year. Matthews has led the leafs to the playoffs all 3 seasons, jack is 0 for 4. this is an awful comparable. Matthews is easily worth 1.6 more than Jack

Eichel was 11th in PPG in second season befire he signed his contract. Matthews was 22th. Difference was 1.6 mln +3 more years so easily 3mln+

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We were well off the subject of Detroit for quite awhile, you only went back to it once your point about odds failed miserably.

Secondly, I didn’t bring up Detroit, that was Crazy Monkey, and you know that because you liked the post.

Finally, you want to talk reading comprehension, let’s talk reading comprehension. I never said Detroit has as good a chance to be successful as Toronto this year, I said that despite Detroit sucking and Toronto having their best year, they still win the same amount of playoff series.

Keep grasping at those straws though. Your Leafs brethren are behind you. :thumbu:

You brought up Detroit in response to one of my posts, then you claimed I was the one focusing on Detroit and now you're still going on about... Detroit.

And the bolded part has zero to do with anything (though you do seem to be fixated on this irrelevant fact). Maybe you should go to the Detroit board and brag, you're just making a fool of yourself here.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What happens with the gap when considering line mates?
The gap in linemates is not as big as people make it out to be, especially when considering the full ELC. For some reason, people have convinced themselves that Aho plays with a bunch of scrubs.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Marner is getting all kinds of hate for getting 10.89. Kid had 94pts last year. Toews has been making 10.5 since forever and just set a career high with 81 pts in his 12th season! Only one 70pt season before that. Marner gets 100+ this year. top 5ish in league scoring

Are you trying to say Toews is not getting a lot of hate on this forum?:)

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
just realized that if byfuglien doesn't retire, then the jets will already be over the cap next year (before the cap increase) and will have 6 roster spots to fill

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You brought up Detroit in response to one of my posts, then you claimed I was the one focusing on Detroit and now you're still going on about... Detroit.

And the bolded part has zero to do with anything (though you do seem to be fixated on this irrelevant fact). Maybe you should go to the Detroit board and brag, you're just making a fool of yourself here.

Imagine claiming somebody else made themselves a fool after suggesting that betting odds implicate future success, and then getting schooled on how miserably wrong those odds were last year.

Do keep going. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Imagine claiming somebody else made themselves a fool after suggesting that betting odds implicate future success, and then getting schooled on how miserably wrong those odds were last year.

Do keep going. :laugh:

Imagine someone using the word "implicate" when he clearly has no idea what the word means.

You also apparently have no idea what betting odds are. Let's start with this - the favourites don't always win - please tell me you understand that much about the way things work.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marner is getting all kinds of hate for getting 10.89. Kid had 94pts last year. Toews has been making 10.5 since forever and just set a career high with 81 pts in his 12th season! Only one 70pt season before that. Marner gets 100+ this year. top 5ish in league scoring

Toews on his RFA contract sold one fewer UFA year at 20% less than Marner. Despite Toews being a far better player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
just realized that if byfuglien doesn't retire, then the jets will already be over the cap next year (before the cap increase) and will have 6 roster spots to fill
Capfriendly numbers for next season include Buff's AAV. They have 6.235m to fill 5/6 spots.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We saw a 12th place team that overachieved (yet amazingly still had a negative goal differential) drop down after complete locker room dysfunction and selling off all of their good players.

We saw Cup Champs that overachieved and already were barely making the playoffs drop 5 points and barely miss the playoffs after unexpectedly losing their 2nd best D for nothing.

Meanwhile, you're suggesting that the 7th best team in the league 2 years in a row with sustainable underlying metrics and an improved roster at every position that already had a down year in most ways last year and is young and improving and entering their prime is going to suddenly drop out of the playoffs for no reason.

If anything, you're just showing how random the playoffs are, and how useless what round you got to is.

I expect to see you going into Tampa threads and telling them how they shouldn't get ahead of themselves or expect playoffs.

LOL. The lightening finished 28 points more than the leafs. That's the difference between the leafs and one of the worst teams in the NHL. The leafs finished with only 100 points last season, that is 4 more points than Montreal who missed. Guess what, dropping 5 points means they miss the playoffs!

Being "7th" means NOTHING. The point gaps are TINY and the tide changes quickly in the NHL.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Defense matters and Toews was one of the very best defensive centers in the league. Marner’s defensive game is underrated but he’s still roughly average among wingers in that aspect.

Yes defence matters. And that makes Toews a "far better player" than Marner. Sure thing.

Come on guys, if you're going to try be funny, do try harder at least.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Okay here's my research. McAvoy is 21 years old, Just led the Eastern Conference champs in there run to game 7 of the cup finals in ice time as there #1 defense-man and is signed for less than 5 million dollars.

How on earth is that the second worst contract signed this summer.

Nice research. Still think it's the 2nd worse. You act like being the 2nd worse on this list is a bad thing. These are all star players or in McAvoy's case, someone who might be that quality one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad