Speculation: Ranking the RFA Signings

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ranking the best to worst RFA signings

McAvoy - 3 x 4.9 (7.3 in final year of deal)

Connor - 7 x 7.14 (length makes this real good - final year 7 mill)

Point 3 x 6.75 (final year 9 mill)

Rantanen 6 x 9.25 (have to consider the quality of the player - might have been best RFA)

Laine 2 x 6.15 (final year 7.5)

Boeser 3 x 5 . 8 (final year 7.5)

Meier 4 x 6 (final year 10 mill - that's a little steep)

Thachuk 3 x 7

Marner 6 x 10.893

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
1) Aho - 5x8.5m (good length and price even though this wasnt Carolinas offer to him figured he should be included considering he accepted this offer and was an RFA)

2) Connor - 7 x 7.1m (if he progresses this could be #1 if we look back in a couple years)

3) McAvoy - 3 x 4.9m (Last year 7.3m good value now and a reasonable starting point for negotiating in 3 years)

4) Rantanen 6 x 9.25m (locked up long term at a fair value)

5) Point 3 x 6.75m (Last year 9m good value now and reasonable starting point for later)

6) Laine 2 x 6.15m (Last year 7.5m good contract not a fan of the length though, but good for him betting on himself)

7) Boeser 3 x 5.8m (Last year 7.5m i like him as a player, but i think he still has some proving to do in order to live up to the rest of this RFA class and looking for similar money isnt warranted as of yet)

8) Tkachuk 3 x 7m (Last year 9m he drives his own line and still produced near the top of the league last season i can live with the aav just wished the 3rd year was closer to 8m in terms of the starting point for his next contract)

9) Meier 4 x 6m (I love this current contract, but 10m in his final year and that is the starting point for his next contract which is more than both Point and Tkachuk so this one is a hit now and a gamble later)

10) Marner 6 x 10.893 (good price and length...)

I look at Aho and compare him to Marner and even though Aho didnt care about getting top dollar i really dont see a 2.35m difference between the two both can play center or wing and both are some of the best young players in the league. I dont know what Toronto is going to do with Mathews, Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Andersen taking up 50.5m thats only 4 of your top 6 forwards and 1 of your top 4 dmen and guys like Barrie, Muzzin, Ceci looking for probable raises next season (expecially Barrie 2.75m cap hit).

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Point
Aho
Rantanen
McAvoy
Boeser
Connor
Meier
Laine
Thachuk
Marner

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Actually all are pretty close (except for the Leafs).....I like Aho and McAvoy the best. At lower end Deangelo signing at 925,000 for a cap stapped team was really the only contract the Rangers had.

The Leafs with the highest paid management team somehow paid:
Nylander 7m when Larkin had signed for 6.1.:thumbd:
Matthews for 11.643 X 5 when Eichel at 10m X 8 was about. a comparable. :thumbd:
Aho and Marner had identical last two seasons in stats and value....8.5m X 5 compared to 10.9 X 6:thumbd:

So now the Leafs will be forced to go with a 21 man roster or trade a good forward in order to gain cap space. Not a winning thought just because the Leafs thought it was wise to set the precedent of signing their RFAs to UFA contracts.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The Leafs overpaid to make sure they didn’t have a repeat of the Nylander situation. The Marner deal is by far the worst and be outlier.

I also like Tkachuk but think his bridge deal with the Flames is an overpayment when looking at bridge deals like Point, Boeser and Meier.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Well my delusional friend, you have no significant contracts coming off the books for next year, you can't dress a 23 man roster, cant add anything at the deadline without moving a roster player out, and your entire defense minus Reilly and sandin has to resigned next year with only the cap raising to be able to afford them unless dubas can convince them to take pay cuts or a pay freeze in the coming years which his track record doesnt suggest, you have no 1st rd pick this year because you didnt have enough cap space to sign you players this year... it's in shambles
All that needs to be said is they traded for a player on LTIR so they could have false cap space to over pay their players.

Reactions: Fairview

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Well my delusional friend, you have no significant contracts coming off the books for next year, you can't dress a 23 man roster, cant add anything at the deadline without moving a roster player out, and your entire defense minus Reilly and sandin has to resigned next year with only the cap raising to be able to afford them unless dubas can convince them to take pay cuts or a pay freeze in the coming years which his track record doesnt suggest, you have no 1st rd pick this year because you didnt have enough cap space to sign you players this year... it's in shambles
Calm down there my friend. Let me explain this to you nice and slowly. Significant contracts coming off: Ceci, Muzzin, Barrie (all 3's salary this year will go into Barrie's extention) Clarkson/Horton (ltir). Dermott will be bridged as his usage will be limited this year, plus his injury to start the year. So the only real loss will be Muzzin, assuming Barrie re-signs, which we have no idea about yet. But we will have the space. I dont see Ceci amounting to much. Sandin should make the team this year and will have an increased role the upcoming season. After that, smooth sailing. Far from "shambles"

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ranking the best to worst RFA signings

McAvoy - 3 x 4.9 (7.3 in final year of deal)

Connor - 7 x 7.14 (length makes this real good - final year 7 mill)

Point 3 x 6.75 (final year 9 mill)

Rantanen 6 x 9.25 (have to consider the quality of the player - might have been best RFA)

Laine 2 x 6.15 (final year 7.5)

Boeser 3 x 5 . 8 (final year 7.5)

Meier 4 x 6 (final year 10 mill - that's a little steep)

Thachuk 3 x 7

Marner 6 x 10.893

Tough to compare the deals that bought UFA years to those that didn’t.

Bridge deals
1. McAvoy
2. Point
3. Laine/Boeser/Tkachuk
6. Meier (hate this one)

Long term:
1. Aho
2. Connor
3. Rantanen
4. Marner

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Meier should be at almost the very top. Getting a top line elite possession player at a 6M cap hit is insane.
The three scenarios:

1) you get him for 4 x 6M (6M AAV) and sign him to long extension during the final year
2) you get him for 4 x 6M (6M AAV) and don't qualify him for 10M after it, he goes UFA
3) you qualify him for 10M and get him effectively for 5 x 6.8M AAV, he goes UFA (or gets extended in the spring)

Reactions: theblackadder

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Calm down there my friend. Let me explain this to you nice and slowly. Significant contracts coming off: Ceci, Muzzin, Barrie (all 3's salary this year will go into Barrie's extention) Clarkson/Horton (ltir). Dermott will be bridged as his usage will be limited this year, plus his injury to start the year. So the only real loss will be Muzzin, assuming Barrie re-signs, which we have no idea about yet. But we will have the space. I dont see Ceci amounting to much. Sandin should make the team this year and will have an increased role the upcoming season. After that, smooth sailing. Far from "shambles"

I understand that clarkson and Horton will be on the LTIR, the only guy you may not bring back is ceci, who says Barrie wants to play in Toronto with that media and his type of play, his buddy bissonnette already said that situation isnt a good fit, but hes goi g to cost 8 mill per, which with his hit now 2.75 blus ceci's 4 doesnt equal 8... so now you have to lose muzzin or Barrie, which hurts the team, dermott may be injured but hes still going to want money and knows he can get it from dubas... Torontos cup window is this season, after that it is shrinking quick, they dont have the ELC co tracts to come in and make a huge difference outside of sandin, and they arent getting and 1st rd picks replenishing the system for the last 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad