Speculation: Ranking the RFA Signings

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Marner is the only player who got a substantial overpayment. The Matthews contract is fine, so is the Nylander contract and Johnsson/Kapanen ended up costing less than people thought so overall, not so bad.

When people like you talk as if everyone got grossly overpaid, I can only guess that either:

1) You really don't know what you're talking about

OR

2) You have an agenda

Yes I am upset that Dubas paid Marner so much, no question about it. I look at the big picture though and I see that the Kapanen/Johnsson contracts were good so made up for a good chunk of it right there plus I love the personnel moves he made so overall, he gets maybe a B+ or so for what he did this summer. Maybe A-, our situation as the beginning of the off-season was tough and it was clear that faced enormous challenges. I think Dubas is a very smart guy who is off to a pretty good start and he will also improve as time goes on.

If you told me at the beginning of the off season what our roster would for opening night and that it only cost us a 1st round pick to get there, I'd say wow, that's amazing if you can pull that off.

Wait, so you’re actually happy with the Austin Matthews contract? For real?

Completely unnecessary to give him a UFA style contract value and you only secured him for five years. What was the point of that? It was another ridiculous contract and yeah, not surprised that Marner asked for the moon if you’re throwing around money like that.

You’re a Leaf fan and if you’re happy with how this all turned out, I don’t know what to say. I would be pissed. In a salary cap world, the team needs to fight for value and I don’t think you did that very well with your stars.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Completely unnecessary to give him a UFA style contract value and you only secured him for five years. What was the point of that? It was another ridiculous contract and yeah, not surprised that Marner asked for the moon if you’re throwing around money like that.

You’re a Leaf fan and if you’re happy with how this all turned out, I don’t know what to say. I would be pissed. In a salary cap world, the team needs to fight for value and I don’t think you did that very well with your stars.

He's not the only one! Only the haters have something negative to say, typically how it goes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's not bad, perhaps a slight overpayment but definitely not a gross overpayment as you called it.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It's not bad, perhaps a slight overpayment but definitely not a gross overpayment as you called it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree, especially since it was only a 5 year deal.

Anyways, good luck. I do want the Leafs to do well even though I am a Jets fan.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We’ll have to agree to disagree, especially since it was only a 5 year deal.

Anyways, good luck. I do want the Leafs to do well even though I am a Jets fan.

No sweat. We can agree it was an overpayment and "gross" is a subjective term so whatever, not everyone will ever agree on anything so no big deal. I'm not big on crunching the numbers but I've seen the arguments put forth by others and I'd say it's something like this, Matthews&Nylander overpaid by 500K each and Marner overpaid by 1M. Nylanders contract with hindsight already looks like it might end up just fine, hopefully the same happens to the others.

Anyhow, that's a total of 2M, Marleau alone was overpaid by that much (just to offer some perspective here), there are no other bad contracts on the team (maybe Ceci, maybe not though we'll see) so overall, we look to be in good shape. Certainly we're far from "cap hell" where some are saying we're buried.

Good luck to you as well. I've always hoped the Jets do well, I always have time for a fan base that loves hockey as much as you guys do!

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If you have something new to say then say it. Otherwise I think we're done here.

We've been done for a page now, right about the time that you couldn't figure out how the word "Implicate" applied to your post and then deflected once you got taken to school.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We've been done for a page now, right about the time that you couldn't figure out how the word "Implicate" applied to your post and then deflected once you got taken to school.

Then why are you still posting? You don't understand what implicate means, OK. But "done", words don't get much simpler than that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Then you must be completely baffled by this:

Nah, I just know the petty folk who need to have the last word because they feel it somehow signals their victory.

In summary, you argued that the Leafs's first round woes aren't a current problem, and when it was pointed out that there's no more current example to disprove this, you ran away from that argument. Then you suggested that betting odds implicated the Leafs would be very successful, even though last year the Top 5 teams in betting odds all bailed out in the first round. So when that argument failed, you foolishly tried to argue over the definition of implicated. When that definition got posted, you bailed on that argument. And now, you're claiming to be "Done" while arguing the definition of done, all because you want to have the last word.

For someone so good at quitting on every failed argument he's had, you sure are bad at just quitting replying altogether.

Like I said a long time ago, you're a winner in the hearts of your Toronto brethren. Not so much with the rest of the logical hockey world. But hey, if having the last word makes you feel better about yourself, have at it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Which is equally wrong.

This is such a lazy analysis and faulty way of evaluating the quality of teams. By your logic, if playoffs matter so much, then clearly Leafs were better than Tampa, who had 3 less playoff wins.

Leafs were 7th in the league, and they have been for 2 years straight. They were 4th in ROW and goal differential. They have since improved from that already elite level, and are one of the best teams in the league, which is why they have the 2nd best odds to win the cup.

Please take your biased anti-Leaf narrative elsewhere.

The leafs DID NOT have the 7th best season in the league last year. You cannot convince me they did unless you can justify to me rationally that they had a better season than a team that finished with 1 less point in the regular season but made it 2 rounds further (Hurricanes).

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The leafs DID NOT have the 7th best season in the league last year. You cannot convince me they did unless you can justify to me rationally that they had a better season than a team that finished with 1 less point in the regular season but made it 2 rounds further.
Higher than the leafs.
So basically you just make up the rules as you go? :laugh:

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->