Ranking Teams Prospects

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It wasn’t necessarily the number of spots, it was moreso they dropped themselves a tier basically by grabbing him rather than Zadina. Even Hughes and a few others were ahead of him for me. I guess I kinda get it that they needed a center but drafting for position is pretty universally considered a dumb idea.
I didnt have Zadina ahead of Kotka, neither did half of the habs draft board, consensus published by medias are not worth much. Kotkaniemi is the same tier of prospect as Zadina.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Nothing suggest Zadina is on another level from the rest of the group of prospect, consensus doesn't prove anything quality wise.

Then why are you using it to prove a point with “half the habs board wanted him”? I do agree.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like Bostons group better

Ryan Donato
Anders Bjork
Urho Vaakanainen
Trent Frederic
Jack Studnicka
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson
Jakub Lauko
Zach Senyshyn
Jakub Zboril
Jeremy Lauzon
Peter Cehlarik

Winnipeg I said was debatable due to all their recent graduates but I am super high on Vesalainen and Niku.
So, you like these guys better than
Kotkaniemi (Better than Donato)
Juulsen (Im ready to say Vaakanainen might be a bit better but hes young)
Poehling(Better than Frederic)
Oloffson (Better than Studnicka)
Nikita Scherback (Better than Forsbacka)
Jesse Ylonen (Better than Lauko.)
Cam Hillis (Better than Senyshyn)
Victor Mete (Better than Zboril)
Josh Brook (Better than Lauzon)
Cehlarik is better than anyone left, so yeah, sure.

Reactions: Acadien86

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Because most of you seem to shove the opinion of Kotkaniemi as homerism, meanwhile, he was loved universally by our board before the draft.

Not sure you know what the word universally means. Unless of course 100% of Hab fans wanted Kotkaniemi pre draft :dunno:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Not sure you know what the word universally means. Unless of course 100% of Hab fans wanted Kotkaniemi pre draft :dunno:
Canadiens-shock-fans-draft-Jesperi-Kotkaniemi-3rd-overall-Montreal-Video.jpg

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yes, pretty much everyone wanted Kotkaniemi over Zadina, except a few who didn't know much about prospect, funny how it works.

You just said a few posts up that half the board wanted him. Which is it?

I didnt have Zadina ahead of Kotka, neither did half of the habs draft board, consensus published by medias are not worth much. Kotkaniemi is the same tier of prospect as Zadina.

Not trying to gang up on you here, but your argument is all over the place.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kinda like Elias Pettersson, RIGHT ?

Just like Petterson he won't get credit for that explosion until it happens. The rest of the NHL and fanbase does not have to bow to the thoughts of one GM and fanbase, especially one that desperately wanted a C.

Maybe he explodes and successfully becomes a full-time C, maybe he doesn't. Until that happens those of us (I think most NHL draft followers) that saw him more on the Armia/Teravainen tier than the Barkov/Granlund/Laine one will continue to do so

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah, I don't have the numbers worked up, sorry. Make it half, make it the whole board, it's the same thing. Id say that the whole draft crew (About 20 of us, who exchange scouting reports, etc,) wanted Kotkaniemi but one person.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Get used to the flip flopping and the argument being all over the place.

I just checked out the Habs draft thread. Not even 2 pages in and over half are clamoring for Zadina or others.

But Kotkaniemi was universally wanted!!

Reactions: Garthinater

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Just like Petterson he won't get credit for that explosion until it happens. The rest of the NHL and fanbase does not have to bow to the thoughts of one GM and fanbase, especially one that desperately wanted a C.

Maybe he explodes and successfully becomes a full-time C, maybe he doesn't. Until that happens those of us (I think most NHL draft followers) that saw him more on the Armia/Teravainen tier than the Barkov/Granlund/Laine one will continue to do so
So, you're expecting Kotkaniemi to become something around a 3rd liner (Armia) and a 1st liner (TT) ? Thats fair to me. Id like to point out that Kotkaniemi had a much better draft year than Teravainen though.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Perhaps a bit of homerism on my side, but as a Boston fan I wouldn't swap our prospect pool with Montreal's. Kotkaniemi is better than anyone on the B's side, but he's not good enough to make up for the difference in depth, which in my opinion take the Bruins. Plus, you just can't ignore the drafting record of each team.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Idk man we will see. When you say full-time nhlers I’m thinking like at least 5 seasons with 50+ games. Not a guy who comes up and gets a few games here and there but never really sticks in the league. Unfortunately that is what happens to most prospects.

Your definition of full-time NHLer is the same as mine.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Get used to the flip flopping and the argument being all over the place.

I just checked out the Habs draft thread. Not even 2 pages in and over half are clamoring for Zadina or others.

But Kotkaniemi was universally wanted!!
Good, do I need to tag the whole draft crew, they'll come here and support every single one of my points.

Anyhow, Ive been posting left and right and all you do is make bold statements about my integrity, fun.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So, you're expecting Kotkaniemi to become something around a 3rd liner (Armia) and a 1st liner (TT) ? Thats fair to me. Id like to point out that Kotkaniemi had a much better draft year than Teravainen though.
.51 vs. .45 with a comparable U18 and markedly worse playoff is not what I'd call "much better". Also a 1st liner that wasn't an NHL player until D+4 and didn't break past .5ppg until D+6..

That's not what you want out of a top 3 pick. As a prospect follower you should know the value curves and expected outcomes, Kotka seems more like a 6-15 guy than a 3.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps a bit of homerism on my side, but as a Boston fan I wouldn't swap our prospect pool with Montreal's. Kotkaniemi is better than anyone on the B's side, but he's not good enough to make up for the difference in depth, which in my opinion take the Bruins. Plus, you just can't ignore the drafting record of each team.
What about the drafting record though ? Are you implying the Habs are bad here? Because Im not sure you'd be even remotely close to right.

Im pretty sure its 100% homerism on your part, the Bruins prospect pool is deep, like the Habs, but the Habs just have better players in these positions.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Good, do I need to tag the whole draft crew, they'll come here and support every single one of my points.

Yes, please do.

All but 1 wanting Kotkaniemi and the Habs having a top 3 prospect pool and we are done. I promise.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
It wasn’t necessarily the number of spots, it was moreso they dropped themselves a tier basically by grabbing him rather than Zadina. Even Hughes and a few others were ahead of him for me. I guess I kinda get it that they needed a center but drafting for position is pretty universally considered a dumb idea.

Multiple teams skipped Zadina for a reason though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad