Ranking Teams Prospects

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
All due respect, they don't make up for Sanheim and Patrick graduating, and you have to be a pretty biased fan to put Hart in the same tier as Dahlin.

Not really. It's more bias to not recognize goalies..and that's fine as is is a debatable position. But if you do actually value goalies then...Carter Hart owns his position by a landslide

MAF went 1st overall and won 3 Stanley Cups. Again, comes down to if you actually value goalies

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Not really. It's more bias to not recognize goalies..and that's fine as is is a debatable position. But if you do actually value goalies then...Carter Hart owns his position by a landslide

MAF went 1st overall and won 3 Stanley Cups. Again, comes down to if you actually value goalies

There's no consensus on the better goalie, Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov and Demko being in the same tier as Hart.

On D you have Dahlin, then Heiskanen, than the rest.

I'm not the one who said you should not consider goalies, I'm saying no GM in the entire league would take Hart before Dahlin, or even before Petterson, Heiskanen, Svechnikov, Necas and the list goes on and on.

I am a Pens fan and I love MAF. But to be completely honest a third round draft pick won one of those 3 cups, and another was split.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks man. I knew you would finally agree.

Watching Petterrson ragdolled all over the ice at the IIHF this year like he was playing soccer must have knocked you back to reality

Watching him flail like that...now that was hahahahah funny
hahahaha good one

it's amazing how you can make someone so mad just by typing the same 3 words over and over again ;)

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
There's no consensus on the better goalie, Shestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov and Demko being in the same tier as Hart.

On D you have Dahlin, then Heiskanen, than the rest.

I'm not the one who said you should not consider goalies, I'm saying no GM in the entire league would take Hart before Dahlin, or even before Petterson, Heiskanen, Svechnikov, Necas and the list goes on and on.

I am a Pens fan and I love MAF. But to be completely honest a third round draft pick won one of those 3 cups, and another was split.

Hart is changing history right now with his accolades. However, as you pointed out, no GM would take a goalie over said players. That is the unfortunate NHL system we live in, and goalies will always get undervalued. However, Hart is running away with it. Atleast admit that?

Keep in mind, 95% of the a time a team wins the SC the goalie is not given unanimous credit. 85% a decent or good team is bad in the reg season or playoffs, the goalie takes a massive blame

See the irony how ppl rate goalies in the draft system?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
hahahaha good one

it's amazing how you can make someone so mad just by typing the same 3 words over and over again ;)

Is that response in the troll playbook?:laugh:

I'm only mad that I had to witness Pettersson reacting like Jello every time he got touched in a semi- physica tournament with 50% NHL quality. I really and truly wanted to draft this "something" this year, yet I ended up witnessing 10 ply puck skills. Ella couldn't take bump for s**t. Of course I am angry. Now I have to redraft

Last edited:
Reactions: Garthinater

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Hart is changing history right now with his accolades. However, as you pointed out, no GM would take a goalie over said players. That is the unfortunate NHL system we live in, and goalies will always get undervalued. However, Hart is running away with it. Atleast admit that?

Keep in mind, 95% of the a time a team wins the SC the goalie is not given unanimous credit. 85% a decent or good team is bad in the reg season or playoffs, the goalie takes a massive blame

Hart is changing CHL history, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The other 4 goalies I mentionned are playing in much more competitive leagues.

Remember Scott Wedgewood was projected as NJ's replacement of Brodeur when he had completed his CHL career?

I have nothing against the guy and I wish him the best, but I don't think anyone outside of Philly would agree that he's on the same tier as Dahlin, Petterson or Heiskanen.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think top 3 are without a doubt
Buffalo
Carolina
Vancouver

Then we get into the real opinions
I'm going with
Isles (Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hosang)
Detroit (Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno)
Habs (Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Juulsen)
As 3-6

*I'm aware there may be some Homerism in my post.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Is that response in the troll playbook?:laugh:

I'm only mad that I had to witness Pettersson reacting like Jello every time he got touched in a semi- physica tournament with 50% NHL quality. I really and truly wanted to draft this "something" this year, yet I ended up witnessing 10 ply puck skills. Ella couldn't take bump for s**t. Of course I am angry. Now I have to redraft
Hahahaha good one

Careful! Your jealousy is showing :sarcasm:

Reactions: lawrence

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Oh ffs Flyers fans, you have a great pool too. Carter Hart may very well be the number one goalie prospect outside the NHL, but there hasn’t been an ‘elite’ goalie prospect since Carey Price. Best in class vs best in 10 years are not comparable. And Dahlin’s been praised as best D draft prospect since Potvin, which would make it 45 years, but I digress.
Tiers:
Dahlin

Pettersson
Heiskanen
Mittelstadt
Svechnikov
Necas
Borgstrom

Hart
20 or so other players, a few of which might be Flyers.

As far as teams go:

The top tier is certainly Buffalo (until about February using old HF prospect rules), Vancouver, Carolina, Philadelphia

Next is Islanders, Ottawa, Rangers, Panthers, Blackhawks, and Probably the Lightning because their prospects are always better than everyone expects. Flames might be in here too.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Oh ffs Flyer fan, you have a great pool too. Carter Hart may very well be the number one goalie prospect outside the NHL, but there hasn’t been an ‘elite’ goalie prospect since Carey Price. Best in class vs best in 10 years are not comparable. And Dahlin’s been praised as best D draft prospect since Potvin, which would make it 45 years, but I digress.
Tiers:
Dahlin

Pettersson
Heiskanen
Mittelstadt
Svechnikov
Necas
Borgstrom

Hart
20 or so other players, a few of which might be Flyers.

As far as teams go:

The top tier is certainly Buffalo (until about February using old HF prospect rules), Vancouver, Carolina, Philadelphia

Next is Islanders, Ottawa, Rangers, Panthers, Blackhawks, and Probably the Lightning because their prospects are always better than everyone expects. Flames might be in here too.

Fixed

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

The reason people undervalue goalie prospects is because goalies involve more uncertainty than players at any other positions, and it's not rare to see them take several years before becoming impactful.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hahahaha good one

Careful! Your jealousy is showing :sarcasm:

2018-19 Organizational Prospects Rankings

Philly still #1.

Van at #4:(

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sasso09

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

This was the base points for each team. In addition, we included roster players 21-years-old and under on the NHL roster as bonus players. For example, Auston Matthews and Connor McDavid provided 10 bonus points. The other criteria was we included other notable prospects beyond the top 10. So teams like Pittsburgh and Washington that have poor depth did not receive an bonus points for depth, but teams such as Philadelphia and Arizona etc. did.
The rankings were created prior to the 2018 NHL Entry Draft and therefore do not include players drafted in Dallas. So to re-iterate – the data was gathered throughout June, though we did update player moves where we could.

So the ranking doesn't include players drafted this year, and does include (arbitrarily) players 21 and under on the NHL roster.
Also of note, Arizona (2nd OA) has a prospect pool so deep that they were able to trade their 8th overall prospect for a 6th round future pick and a 24 yo AHL caliber D man.

I want to like Dobber, and they are certainly putting more effort into prospects, but their analysis of the Sabres' top 10 is ludicrous. They have Ullmark, Olofsson and Davidsson behind Bailey, Baptiste, O'Regan and UPL, which nearly 100% of people who follow the Sabres closely would disagree with.

Thumbs down.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Islanders fan here

The islanders imho have a nice pool of prospects but not a top 5 one

Blue Chips - Wahlstrom (RW), Dobson (D), Bellows (LW), Sorokin (G)

Enigmatic projects (high potential but less certain to reach it) - Ho Sang (F), Devon Toews (D), Bode Wilde (D), Ruslan Ishakov (F), Linus Soderstrom (G), Jakob Skarek (G)

Toews (aged 24) and Ho Sang (age 22) expected to push for roster spots this year. Other guys can rise and fall on this list dependent on their performances

Defensive Depth (guys we drafted who will be largely in the AHL developing) - Robin Salo, Parker Wotherspoon, the other Sebastian Aho, David Quenneville, Mitch Vande Sompel, Kyle Burroughs

Aho has NHL experience already and is an intriguing young player. Nothing especially exciting in this category

Forward Depth (grinders, late round flyers and bottom 6) - just a few guys I like, every team has players like this: Durandeau, Koivula, Blade Jenkins, Jacob Pivonka

Dead in the water - Michael Dal Colle. Yikes. Talk about a flop. Dude is just coasting through his ELC and into the ECHL if he doesn’t change his ways

To be honest I am happier as an islander fan going forwad even with Tavares gone (not because he is gone mind you) because the islanders really needed new people in charge of hockey decisions - too many high picks, too many busts and bad trades

It is one thing to suck, the islanders previous suckage got us alarmingly little to show for our misfortunes

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I think top 3 are without a doubt
Buffalo
Carolina
Vancouver

Then we get into the real opinions
I'm going with
Isles (Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hosang)
Detroit (Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno)
Habs (Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Juulsen)
As 3-6

*I'm aware there may be some Homerism in my post.
If your counting next years draft, yeah montreal are top 6 with hughes lol

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
A lot of % and stats being thrown around with very little substance to back it-

Oh..I forgot I was on HFBOARDS, continue on gentlemen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a Pens fan, you have to question any ranking that puts real long shots like Dea and Miletic over Bellerive, who didn't even make the top 10 but should probably be #2 or #3 on the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad