Rank the Canadian teams going forward

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Can't say till offseason.
Toronto and Winnipeg have the best rosters but they both have a couple big contracts to sign this off season which could entirely change the makeup of of both teams. Edmonton still needs a GM and a coach so based on the coach and those moves Edmonton could either be a bottom feeder again or a legit playoff team.
Calgary is a question mark too. They tend to have a high year and then a low year and then a high year.
Ottawa will be bad for a while.
Montreal will be middle of the pack as long as Price stays healthy.
Vancouver imo is 1-2 years away from being a GOOD playoff team. As long as Hughes keeps developing strong and Petterssons rookie season isn't a one off (it won't be)

Much to much that can change in the offseason. Toronto, Winnipeg and Edmonton have the strongest cores so they have the best shots at the moment but contracts and depth decide the rest.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames are 1-8 in their last 2 post-seasons. They are well below the Leafs and Jets. To say Toronto's window is closing is short-sighted and quite comical. Their core is just coming out of their entry-level deals and haven't even reached their prime yet. And I'm no leafs fan, at all. They're only getting started

Canucks and Oilers have the best raw talent out of all the Canadian teams imo, I'm predicting they will begin to blossom next year, turn the page and make the playoffs. Calgary wasn't even close to making the playoffs in 2018, and then won the entire conference the very next year. Tampa did the same thing in 2018. Any team can instantly become a contender the next year, parity is at an all time high in the NHL

My List (next 5 years):
Leafs
Oilers/Canucks
Flames/Jets
Habs
Sens

The Flames have also been to the second round with most of this core; something Toronto hasn't done.Using playoff wins from the first round is probably the worst way of going about it?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1. Winnipeg
2. Toronto
3. Calgary
----------
4. Montreal
----------
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

Every Canadian team has a good young core here, so the teams that are better now should remain better for the foreseeable future.

The bottom 3 really need to get their ownership/management issues sorted out. I mean as a Canuck fan we're basically burning through our young guys ELC years with nothing to show for it, and if Benning remains in charge through the summer it's highly likely we're looking at big UFA contracts to 2nd tier guys like Ferland and Myers. Pettersson/Horvat/Boeser/Hughes is a great young core which outside observers latch onto, the problem is the highly overpaid supporting cast around them.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The fact that you didn't include Wheeler in this is a little silly(I know he doesn't fit your young narrative but back to back 90 point seasons man). I also wouldn't call Matthews a top 10 center, probably top 20
He'll be 33 by the time the season starts, of course I didnt include him

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
How are people putting Jets above Leafs. The Leaf are superior. They went 7 games against Bruins. Jets couldn't make it to 7. They collapsed. As soon as they lost game 1, I knew they were done. And now they will be losing Trouba.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How are people putting Jets above Leafs. The Leaf are superior. They went 7 games against Bruins. Jets couldn't make it to 7. They collapsed. As soon as they lost game 1, I knew they were done. And now they will be losing Trouba.

I'd say that's pretty simple really. the cup is a hard thing to win, ask Wheeler, he'll tell ya. But that Winnipeg core won a couple rounds last year and has shown they can be successful in the playoffs and they are still growing. Until Toronto does the same, they are a tier below.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

as for saying they were done after game 1 and you knew it....a lot of people "knew" Toronto was done back in February when it was evident they were playing Boston

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Probably because the Jets made the conference finals last year and the leafs haven't been to the second round since 2004.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Can't argue with much here. But dont tear just us down, you guys blew it too lol

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Leafs are about to lose some talent also........they are soon in cap doom. The Leafs D will be pretty bad next year, unless Me-lander and Kadri get traded for D?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I'd say that's pretty simple really. the cup is a hard thing to win, ask Wheeler, he'll tell ya. But that Winnipeg core won a couple rounds last year and has shown they can be successful in the playoffs and they are still growing. Until Toronto does the same, they are a tier below.
How do we know last year wasn't a fluke? They regressed this year. Maybe these are the real Jets. Their goalie can't win big games, their coach is mediocre. And they will lose a #1D. Last year is looking like their peak.

Sure the Leafs are losing Gardiner but thats arguably a good thing.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Since the Leafs window is considered closed, they're probably last. Teams on the upswing like Ottawa should be ranked ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad