Rank the Canadian teams going forward

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
God knows now.
Majority of teams didn't make it.
The three that did might get bounced in the first round of the playoffs regardless.

Dunno.
I think Calgary, Toronto and Winnipeg make up the top 3, with the rest following. But we will see how the summer goes. There's a chance Winnipeg and Toronto go to cap jail.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Too many variables in regular season games
Well if we're looking at post season though the Leafs have won 3 games against a top 2 team in the league and maybe a 4th where as the Jets can't say the same. Not to say the couldn't beat the Leafs but I like our chances.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Well if we're looking at post season though the Leafs have won 3 games against a top 2 team in the league and maybe a 4th where as the Jets can't say the same. Not to say the couldn't beat the Leafs but I like our chances.

The Jets were playing the best team in the nhl since Jan 1

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Fair point I did choose the Blues to go all the way to the finals. Just saying the Leafs are a very good team and speaking in definitives is silly

Leafs are very good. I just think in a playoff series the Jets would beat them. I could easily be wrong too.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Montreal has certainly does not have a stacked prospect pool and has failed to add any top end talent to their system and will struggle to do so considering where they will be picking. Who cares if they have 3 more picks before the Leafs pick, when none of those are top picks which is exactly what they are lacking and is something the Leafs have already have in abundance and can actually afford to trade away picks and prospects based on their deep prospect pool like any legit contending team should be doing. Habs finishing high in the standings based a lot on older players that won't be around or out of their prime by the time the habs will truly be in a win now mode, That's really the worst possible way to rebuild a team and is likely going to put the habs in a cycle of mediocrity for a long time.

The idea that Montreal is old is completely outdated...
Domi:22
Drouin: 23
Gallagher: 26
KK: 18
Tatar: 28
Danault: 26
Shaw: 25
Lehkonen: 23
Byron: 29

That’s just the forwards. Say what you want about their skill, if that’s your argument, then fine, but don’t invent things. The old player who would be considered ‘old’ would be Weber and he is under 35...

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Lol....out
Calgary in 5 games
Winnipeg in 6 games
Toronto in 7 games

Clearly Toronto
Played 7 more games than Ottawa this year

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
With Toronto's window closing, you have to go with

Flames
Jets
Leafs/Montreal
Canucks
Oilers/Sens

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1. Montreal
2. Vancouver

big gap

3. Calgary

Cant see Leafs go forwards with Babcock, nor Jets with Maurice
- both seem more of pretenders rather than contenders,
both teams need drastic changes to truly go forwards,

No one knows Senators fate, same goes for Oilers

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The idea that Montreal is old is completely outdated...
Domi:22
Drouin: 23
Gallagher: 26
KK: 18
Tatar: 28
Danault: 26
Shaw: 25
Lehkonen: 23
Byron: 29

That’s just the forwards. Say what you want about their skill, if that’s your argument, then fine, but don’t invent things. The old player who would be considered ‘old’ would be Weber and he is under 35...
And arguably none of those guys are "core" forwards, so yes Montreal is the oldest because they only have filler players and some older core guys (Weber/Price) left.

EDM: McDavid 22 (best player in the world), Draisaitl 23 (top 10 center), RNH 25 (top 35 center), Nurse 24 (top 60 dman)
TOR: Matthews 21 (top 10 center), Marner 21 (top 10 winger), Nylander 23 (2nd line winger), Rielly 25 (top 15 dman)
WIN: Scheifele 26 (top 10 center), Laine 21 (1st line winger), Connor 22 (1st line winger), Morrissey 24 (top 60 dman)
VAN: Pettersson 20 (top 30 center), Boeser 22 (1st line winger), Horvat 24 (top 40 center), Hughes 19 (?)
CGY: Gaudreau 25 (top 10 winger), Monahan 24 (top 30 center), Tkachuk 21 (1st line winger), Hanifin 22 (top 90 dman)

Look at these cores:

MON: Domi 24 (top 30 center*), Drouin 24 (top 6 winger), KK 18 (?)

*This is his 1st season anywhere near these totals, he could easily go back to being a 50 point guy, so that absolutely comes with an asterisk.
Also you just straight lied about the ages.

The extremely stark difference in the caliber of player being considered a core member is why Montreal doesn't and shouldn't be put up there with the others as having a bright future.

Last edited:
Reactions: McWeber

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
And arguably none of those guys are "core" forwards, so yes Montreal is the oldest because they only have filler players and some older core guys (Weber/Price) left.

EDM: McDavid 22 (best player in the world), Draisaitl 23 (top 10 center), RNH 25 (top 35 center), Nurse 24 (top 60 dman)
TOR: Matthews 21 (top 10 center), Marner 21 (top 10 winger), Nylander 23 (2nd line winger), Rielly 25 (top 15 dman)
WIN: Scheifele 26 (top 10 center), Laine 21 (1st line winger), Connor 22 (1st line winger), Morrissey 24 (top 60 dman)
VAN: Pettersson 20 (top 30 center), Boeser 22 (1st line winger), Horvat 24 (top 40 center), Hughes 19 (?)
CGY: Gaudreau 25 (top 10 winger), Monahan 24 (top 30 center), Tkachuk 21 (1st line winger), Hanifin 22 (top 90 dman)

Look at these cores:

*This is his 1st season anywhere near these totals, he could easily go back to being a 50 point guy, so that absolutely comes with an asterisk.

The extremely stark difference in the caliber of player being considered a core member is why Montreal doesn't and shouldn't be put up there with the others as having a bright future.
That is a hot take from a non-Oiler fan.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay

Look at these cores:

*Chef's kiss* to that cherry picking lmao

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
With Toronto's window closing, you have to go with

Flames
Jets
Leafs/Montreal
Canucks
Oilers/Sens

Flames are 1-8 in their last 2 post-seasons. They are well below the Leafs and Jets. To say Toronto's window is closing is short-sighted and quite comical. Their core is just coming out of their entry-level deals and haven't even reached their prime yet. And I'm no leafs fan, at all. They're only getting started

Canucks and Oilers have the best raw talent out of all the Canadian teams imo, I'm predicting they will begin to blossom next year, turn the page and make the playoffs. Calgary wasn't even close to making the playoffs in 2018, and then won the entire conference the very next year. Tampa did the same thing in 2018. Any team can instantly become a contender the next year, parity is at an all time high in the NHL

My List (next 5 years):
Leafs
Oilers/Canucks
Flames/Jets
Habs
Sens

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Look at these cores:

How is Gallagher not a core player? Back-to-back 30-goal seasons aren't good enough? He was 9th in ESG this year, right up there with guys like McDavid and Draisaitl.

Plus Montreal has better prospects than all the other Canadian teams except for Vancouver. That's a big part of our bright future, and with 10 picks in this year's draft we'll just keep adding more and more depth to our system.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
How is Gallagher not a core player? Back-to-back 30-goal seasons aren't good enough? He was 9th in ESG this year, right up there with guys like McDavid and Draisaitl.

Plus Montreal has better prospects than all the other Canadian teams except for Vancouver. That's a big part of our bright future, and with 10 picks in this year's draft we'll just keep adding more and more depth to our system.

Because of our 24 cups there will be haters until the end of time.... sad..

In the next 3 years, Montreal will be up there. Not next year though.

Next year:

Winnipeg
Calgary
Toronto
Edmonton/Vancouver/Montreal
Ottawa

3-4 years:
Calgary
Montreal
Edmonton/Winnipeg
Toronto
Vancouver
Ottawa (sorry)

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Flames are 1-8 in their last 2 post-seasons. They are well below the Leafs and Jets. To say Toronto's window is closing is short-sighted and quite comical. Their core is just coming out of their entry-level deals and haven't even reached their prime yet. And I'm no leafs fan, at all. They're only getting started

Canucks and Oilers have the best raw talent out of all the Canadian teams imo, I'm predicting they will begin to blossom next year, turn the page and make the playoffs. Calgary wasn't even close to making the playoffs in 2018, and then won the entire conference the very next year. Tampa did the same thing in 2018. Any team can instantly become a contender the next year, parity is at an all time high in the NHL

My List (next 5 years):
Leafs
Oilers/Canucks
Flames/Jets
Habs
Sens

Ya buddy is ridiculous who said leafs window is closing. Total moronic statement. You nailed it right on the head though.

sedulant

Feb 18, 2015
New Jersey

The fact that you didn't include Wheeler in this is a little silly(I know he doesn't fit your young narrative but back to back 90 point seasons man). I also wouldn't call Matthews a top 10 center, probably top 20

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You need an x-factor to win the cup.

I'm a habs fan and fully biased - but I think Carey Price is an x-factor. They need to ice a good enough team around him to win the cup of course - but if that happens I think he can be an x-factor.

Kind of disappointed by all of Calgary/Tor and Jets tbh. I feel they should have made more noise in the playoffs this year - even last year (Tor anyways). I'm not sure they have the necessary x-factor to go all the way. Or at least - i'm questioning it.

Vancouver is intriguing. They still need a good 1-2 years to come together, but i'm curious to see how some of their young guys end up. Lots of potential

McDavid (and even Drai) can obviously be a huge x-factor for Edmonton - but they need to fix some things on the team surrounding those 2 to give them a fighting chance. Penguins in 08/09 made the finals twice largely on the backs of Crosby/Malkin. Chi/LA won 5 cups with great cores, not just 2 players. If and when Edmonton makes a final - i expect it'll be a lot closer to the Pitt model than the Chi or LA model.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Next year:

Jets
Leafs
Flames
Canucks
Montreal
Oil
Sens

I think the Jets get a new coach (hopefully) and they live up to there stacked roster.

3 years:

Leafs
Flames/Canucks
Oil
Jets
Montreal
Sens

Flames have there core locked up for 3 years? or so.. The core should get them into the playoffs no problem, but winning in the playoffs.. questionable. Oil you'd think years from now will have started righted the ship, but that's been trying to happen for a decade and the Canucks by then could be a pretty darn good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad