Rank the Canadian teams going forward

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So Marner should make between Matthews and Tavares? Can I ask why? In the top 10 in league AAV only Doughty, Price and Kane are not C's. It is well established that C's make top dollar in the league, even if other players are better or more valuable.

And Kane got the exact same contract that Toews did. A little more complicated in Toronto as you have Tavares in the mix as well, but if Marner drives play and is every bit the star for Toronto that Matthews is then he may not be content taking a good bit less because he plays a 'lesser' position.

We'll see when it happens but whatever's going on behind the scene in Toronto the young guys are certainly pushing hard bargains.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
And Kane got the exact same contract that Toews did. A little more complicated in Toronto as you have Tavares in the mix as well, but if Marner drives play and is every bit the star for Toronto that Matthews is then he may not be content taking a good bit less because he plays a 'lesser' position.

We'll see when it happens but whatever's going on behind the scene in Toronto the young guys are certainly pushing hard bargains.

Kane was a better player than Toews at the time. While Marner plays a lesser position that isnt the only reason to expect him to make more. He has marginally better production playing with better line mates and more minutes.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So Marner should make between Matthews and Tavares? Can I ask why? In the top 10 in league AAV only Doughty, Price and Kane are not C's. It is well established that C's make top dollar in the league, even if other players are better or more valuable.

Dont get me wrong, Marner is my favourite player, but as a winger he is not worth Tavares or Matthews money. Now add that JT was a UFA not an RFA and its a knock against Marner. Marner produced well, and yes JT had a career year, but scoring is up and relative to league scoring it is actually less than his 14-15 season. Matthews played through multiple injuries and was centring a line of Johnson and Kapanen, 2 rookies who are middle 6 wingers, while Marner had the benefit of playing with a top 10 C in the league. While Marner "outperformed" Matthews, it was by only 6 points (from what Matthews was on pace for) while playing with significantly better line mates and over a minute more per game. Marner also was a no-show these playoffs after game 1, while Matthews was dominant. You can argue that the opposite was true last year, but for the same reason. The line that was matched against Bergeron&co were invisible.

So yes, Marner is the heart and soul of this team, but he doesnt deserve Tavares or Matthews money. Is it unfair? Yes, but it isnt like hell be getting chump change, and the best player in the world was just recently signed to a comparable deal for the same position.

Also those 2 20 goal scorers wont make much. It is their rookie season, they had the benefit of playing with Auston Matthews for the majority of it and comparables around the league arent making nearly as much. Connor Brown got 2.1 after a similar rookie season. Ondrej Kase got 2.6 starting this season. Bjorkstrand, Vatrano, Wood, Sheary, the list goes on and on.
Try to sell this to Marner and his agent.:laugh::laugh:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Considering they lost to the 3rd overall team in the league, a first round exit isnt a true first round exit. While im not trying to make excuses, it was a tough matchup and it went the distance. If the series plays out 10 times, im sure each side will come out winning 5 times a piece.

Do they need to improve? Yes, but a lot of the improvement can be internal. Another season of growth, proper ice time for their star players, in game adjustments, improvements on the special teams. A lot of their issues were coaching related, not player related. While you think they need to improve their D "big time", it was fine through the series, although it can use an improvement. Game 7 Gardiner wont be a problem next year, aging Hainsey who cannot clear the zone wont be a problem next year. However, with that said, I am not naive and know the loss of Gardiner will be a bigger blow than most people in Leaf nation are predicting.

Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott are 3 solid top 4 guys. Ideally Rosen/Liljegren come in and prove they are worth NHL bottom pairing minutes. Zaitsev, while im higher on than most, likely is a cap casualty so the Leafs will need a bottom pairing and top 4 D going into next season. Who will that be? Im not sure, but I suspect one of Kadri, Nylander, Johnson, Kapanen will be going the other way to make that deal.

I laugh at you take on if the series play out 10 time the that they would split
It seems more than likely the Bruins would win a lot more than 5 since they took the first 2 already

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I’m just going to say the Leafs are way overrated. They’ve got offensive talent but they’re about to be in cap **** similar to the Blackhawks before they’ve even won a round.
Matthews and Marner are both great, with room for improvement. However, I'm not sold on Nylander. Tavares will be 29 before the start of next season. They may also lose depth to cap issues.

All that being said, I hope Leafs fans understand the concept of parity going forward. In the NHL, there are no guarantees. You can call yourself "elite" all you want, but all the top 10 or so teams in each conference are good. If they get hot and want it a little more, you lose.

Reactions: topshelf15

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Its crazy how much respect the Jets seem to ge.

They only managed to win two playofd games and their underlying numbers were terrible fo he most of the year. AND they're probably going to lose Trouba this offseason

Believe me, Jets fans know this. There is some credit given to their WCF appearance, but perhaps too much with this amount of time removed.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If I'm predicting their combined point totals for the next 3 seasons:
-Toronto
-Winnipeg
-Calgary
-Edmonton
-Vancouver
-Montreal
-Ottawa

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Its crazy how much respect the Jets seem to ge.

They only managed to win two playofd games and their underlying numbers were terrible fo he most of the year. AND they're probably going to lose Trouba this offseason
Toronto won 3 and choked yet again
They must be much better amirite?
Calgary won a single game.
Yet Winnipeg is getting too much love?

Reactions: AngryMoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad