Average Age:

1. EDM 25.5
2. MTL 25.6
5. WPG 25.8
7. VAN 26.1
12. OTT 26.6
13. TOR 26.8
14. CGY 26.8

*Van's average dropped from 26.3 to 26.1 with Demko replacing Nilsson, the rest of the team rosters are from OCT 11.

The Flames have old guys Mike Smith(36) Frolik(30)and Stone(28 not really old), who will likely won't be part of the team going forward.

f***, by saying "old guys", it makes me feel old, I want my youth back:(

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
When the Leafs actually win a PO's series I'll take you seriously.

Also if the Jets don't lose Scheifele and Wheeler? What then? Do they go on a cup run?

I don't see a chance for a cup unless Laine heats up and plays consistently, which is very doubtful in the play-offs considering his pedigree. But if that happens, then they are a legit contender.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Next 3 years:

1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Vancouver
6. Montreal
7. Ottawa

The Leafs and Jets are staples.

The Flames have some very dangerous weapons and a nice D.

Edmonton will finally do something productive - and they have the best player in the world.

Vancouver will be scary when Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Dahlen and Hughes are gelling.

Montreal will be good but never great. Price and Weber aren't getting any younger and the Habs lack legit star power. Nobody on their roster (or in the system) can touch elite talents like McDavid, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Draisaitl, Laine, Scheifele, Gaudreau, Monahan, Pettersson, etc.

Ottawa has some surprisingly nice chips but knowing them, Stone and Duchene are probably gonzo long-term.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don't see a chance for a cup unless Laine heats up and plays consistently, which is very doubtful in the play-offs considering his pedigree. But if that happens, then they are a legit contender.

Fair enough. Laine is not as important to the Jets success as you think. Truth is Laine is more a liability then a plus for the Jets on most nights. The less he plays except the PP makes the team stronger. I think the Jets can be a cup winner but everything will have to go right for them to do it. Like TB going out before the SC final. Also I think this is the year that the Leafs win a PO series but can they go further then that I don't know.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Fair enough. Laine is not as important to the Jets success as you think. Truth is Laine is more a liability then a plus for the Jets on most nights. The less he plays except the PP makes the team stronger. I think the Jets can be a cup winner but everything will have to go right for them to do it. Like TB going out before the SC final. Also I think this is the year that the Leafs win a PO series but can they go further then that I don't know.

I'm aware of his poor play, believe me. But if the Jets want to make cup run, they need his scoring. Otherwise they are way too reliant on Scheifele and Wheeler. If the Leafs can make a smart move for a good D the should have a fair shot a a deep run or even the Cup.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Rittich will eventually step back too.

What is Calgary going to do when that happens.
Run Mike Smith???

You just keep prayin’ TNT.......keep prayin’!!

One day your dreams may come true.

I sometimes think you and Devonator are the same user......

Two people who clearly have been f***ed over by a Flame in the past.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
There's no measure you can point to that indicates Weber has declined since he joined Montreal. Yes, he's 33 and eventually we'll see something we can point to that says, "See - he's less effective". But since he's been here he's been consistently very good to great.

As to younger players, decline certainly applies if they suffer from certain injuries/conditions. There are countless examples of careers being compromised by late 20s due to major or repeat injuries.

But if we want to discuss this fairly, I'd suggest not using the spectre of future injuries and variable declines until they actually happen. We're just trying to sell worst-case projections, which goes nowhere. Players get injured. Usually they recover. End of story. I said that about Matthews and Petterson, and I say it about Weber.
Good luck with that.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As mentioned earlier, average age means sweet **** all.

Median age is a much better indicator of team youthfulness.

i wouldn't say either mean "SFA". But there are lots of different ways of trying to measure average age.

There is using median or mean. But you can also weight the ages by things like games played, or TOI, or even points. that tries to compensate for things like having a 42 year old backup goalie. Which might skew your average, but truthfully, means nothing.

I think nhlnumbers, which has been mentioned, uses current roster. But i think they might also weight by days on active roster, i can't recall.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good luck with that.

No idea what you're responding to.

I guess it's time for me to acknowledge the flames as a contender. Probably the only other Canadian team I'd accept as a SC winner.

Me too. Hard to argue with facts staring us in the face. I'd consider Winnipeg the other Canadian contender because they had real playoff success last year.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You just keep prayin’ TNT.......keep prayin’!!

One day your dreams may come true.

I sometimes think you and Devonator are the same user......

Two people who clearly have been ****ed over by a Flame in the past.
I’ve been impressed by Rittich and think he’s legit.
As a Jets fan Calgary is a team I’d rather not have to go through as we don’t match up well.
So hope one of your Pacific brethren takes care of that if we are fortunate enough to get to round 3
Cheers

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How is that any different from the pipeline of any other Canadian team outside of Toronto (as if it's not impossible for Andersen to fall apart)?

Winnipeg is relying on a goaltender who is falling apart "this" season.
Montreal is relying on a 31 year old goaltender, I'd hardly call that a pipeline.
Vancouver's pipeline is a whole bunch of magic beans.
Edmonton, yeah let's not even go there.
Ottawa hardly has a pipeline.

Rittich's career quality start percentage of .643 in 42 career starts has earned him more than "don't have a goaltender in the pipeline.". Suggesting otherwise is blatantly false.
Winnipeg's goalie that was 'falling apart' now has a better save percentage than Rittich this season :popcorn:.

Reactions: Saidin

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
not talking "on paper" but I can bet with you that Mtl will have more points or will go further in Series than Calgary.

and please, Calgary has ZERO prospects center depth nor Goalie depth. They trade well, they dont draft well.
They are a bubble team this year, they will fall off.

Calgary drafting is terrible, you do well with D but Winger, center, and Goalie outside the top 10 were not good pick (Gaudreau was a steal)

I too had some juicy bookmarks here

Olé olé olé olé olé

Less points and it would appear they won’t be going further in the playoffs

Reactions: tmurfin

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
If Montreal is one of the worst teams in Canada going forward with their prospect class then the future of hockey in Canada is exceptional.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00