Rank the Canadian teams going forward

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Leafs have D coming in their system and its funny that nobody ever seems to mention it, two 1st round pick defenders in Liljegren(2017) and Sandin(2018) who looked fantastic together during the pre-season, Sandin IMO will be the next to graduate and will really improve the Leafs blue line.

I take if you're a Habs fan, like it or not Leafs are in a much better position than mtl for long term sustained success. Montreal is still laughable at C.

Liljegren is nothing special, Montreal's 3rd-rounder from the same draft is outperforming him in the AHL. Plus the Leafs are going to lose Gardiner to FA this summer. So if Sandin can come in and produce at a 40-50 point pace then maybe the Leafs can tread water on the backend. Really impressive!

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
So a lot of people seem to think, now that Calgary has performed, our outlook has either not changed or gotten worse? ok hfboards

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
it's such a vague statement, good right now, or good in the near future ?

if we are talking right now:

1. Toronto
2. Jets
3. Montreal
4. Calgary ( riding on Gaudreau and their random goalie is too scary for me)
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

But, let's ranked the teams prediction for in 3 years ranking

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Edmonton
5. Jets
6. Calgary
7. Ottawa
This list is funny and lacks common sense all at the same time. You have Montreal ahead of Calgary right now. Montreal didn't make the playoffs. Wow. I wish there was an emoji with a dunce cap.

Calgary is riding Gaudreau and the ninth best GAA in the league? They also had 5, above or near, ppg per players. They have contracts in place for everyone of importance for four more years. Plus they have 4 dmen under 22 with NHL experience. So yes, them falling to 6th in 3 years shows a complete lack of knowledge for the team.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Liljegren is nothing special, Montreal's 3rd-rounder from the same draft is outperforming him in the AHL. Plus the Leafs are going to lose Gardiner to FA this summer. So if Sandin can come in and produce at a 40-50 point pace then maybe the Leafs can tread water on the backend. Really impressive!

Lol this is so rich coming from a Habs fan, where do you even get off though? like really? Leafs are in the playoffs for the third straight year and our core is still quite young and going to mature and improve as they become more established veteran players. Montreal is set for years of 9th and 10th place finishes..I mean how can't they be when you look at their underwhelming C depth, especially in a division that has a handful of teams with strong C. Florida even has better C when you consider Barkov is better than any C Montreal has had in decades.

Shaw, 27 = 4th liner.
Domi, 24 = 2nd line centre max.
Danault, 26 = 2nd line centre max.
Weal, 26 = 3rd line centre max.
Kotkaniemi, 18, potential to be #1 centre, but not a franchise elite talent.

If this is what Montreal expects to build a contender around..I've got some bad news for you lol, compare this to the Leafs at C.

Tavares, 28 = Franchise #1 C
Matthews, 21 = Franchise #1 C
Kadri, 28, = 2nd/3rd line centre.
Nylander, 22 = 1st/2nd line centre.

There is no GM in this league who would take Montreal's C over Toronto's and that's a fact, Montreal also lacks high end game changing talent up front like a Marner for example, Monteal currently has no player on its team or in its system that is even close to coming anywhere close to 90-100 points while the Leafs have 3 of them.

Say what you want about the Leafs D but I still take it over Montreal. 3 of MTL's core defenders are already north of 30.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Now:
Toronto
Winnipeg/Calgary
Montreal
Edmonton/Vancouver
Ottawa

3-5 years from now:
Edmonton (I'm biased, of course, but I have my reasons too)
Toronto
Winnipeg
Vancouver/Calgary
Montreal
Ottawa

Edit: So, my reasons: 3-5 years from now, I think it is very possible that Edmonton's defence is better than Toronto's. I'm thinking Klefbom-Bouchard, Nurse-Larsson, Jones-Bear or something like that. Edmonton is actually quite deep on defence prospects. Tavares and Kadri will both be in their early 30s, and could keep going, but could also potentially slow down. Honestly Vancouver and Calgary could challenge Winnipeg for that spot, all three teams seem to have solid futures.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The Flames have old guys Mike Smith(36) Frolik(30)and Stone(28 not really old), who will likely won't be part of the team going forward.

****, by saying "old guys", it makes me feel old, I want my youth back:(
Every team has old guys who won't be in the fold moving forward, I don't see your point.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The only thing Calgary has going against them is Giordano getting older.

Winnipeg, however, has Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Little all in that fall off zone. Toronto has major cap issues. Even if every player on Montreal and Ottawa develops to their potential will they have the depth that Calgary has now? And Edmonton....has the McDavid effect, but not much else.

Not sure there's much to rationalize Calgary, who is destroying the field now, falling so far down so many of these lists in the next 2 years.

Reactions: Sensators

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Lol this is so rich coming from a Habs fan, where do you even get off though? like really? Leafs are in the playoffs for the third straight year and our core is still quite young and going to mature and improve as they become more established veteran players. Montreal is set for years of 9th and 10th place finishes..I mean how can't they be when you look at their underwhelming C depth, especially in a division that has a handful of teams with strong C. Florida even has better C when you consider Barkov is better than any C Montreal has had in decades.

Shaw, 27 = 4th liner.
Domi, 24 = 2nd line centre max.
Danault, 26 = 2nd line centre max.
Weal, 26 = 3rd line centre max.
Kotkaniemi, 18, potential to be #1 centre, but not a franchise elite talent.

If this is what Montreal expects to build a contender around..I've got some bad news for you lol, compare this to the Leafs at C.

Tavares, 28 = Franchise #1 C
Matthews, 21 = Franchise #1 C
Kadri, 28, = 2nd/3rd line centre.
Nylander, 22 = 1st/2nd line centre.

There is no GM in this league who would take Montreal's C over Toronto's and that's a fact, Montreal also lacks high end game changing talent up front like a Marner for example, Monteal currently has no player on its team or in its system that is even close to coming anywhere close to 90-100 points while the Leafs have 3 of them.

Say what you want about the Leafs D but I still take it over Montreal. 3 of MTL's core defenders are already north of 30.

What I find funny when reading a post like that is that you would think that those awesome and mighty Leafs should be at the top of the league.... yet they finished 4 points in front of the mediocre Habs. Attitude! would say Marc Bergevin I guess.... :D

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This list is funny and lacks common sense all at the same time. You have Montreal ahead of Calgary right now. Montreal didn't make the playoffs. Wow. I wish there was an emoji with a dunce cap.

Calgary is riding Gaudreau and the ninth best GAA in the league? They also had 5, above or near, ppg per players. They have contracts in place for everyone of importance for four more years. Plus they have 4 dmen under 22 with NHL experience. So yes, them falling to 6th in 3 years shows a complete lack of knowledge for the team.

The post you quoted is from January but yeah, it was just as dumb then as it is now

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
What I find funny when reading a post like that is that you would think that those awesome and mighty Leafs should be at the top of the league.... yet they finished 4 points in front of the mediocre Habs. Attitude! would say Marc Bergevin I guess.... :D

The only thing funny here is that when you make that argument you only devalue the season of your 96 point Canadiens, they had a good season for sure but they aren't built for success down the middle long term, I think if you put bias aside you'd agree with me deep down.

There are 31 teams in the NHL, this season just 9 of those teams had 100 points or more, the Leafs were one of them. You Habs fans have literally been driven to the point that your only supposed insult against us is that we're a top 10 team. Lolz.

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The only thing funny here is that when you make that argument you only devalue the season of your 96 point Canadiens, there are 31 teams in the NHL, this season just 9 of those teams had 100 points or more, the Leafs were one of them. You Habs fans have literally been driven to the point that your only supposed insult against us is that we're a top 10 team. Lolz.

Deep down, you know you are not happy with their results ;)

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Deep down, you know you are not happy with their results ;)

Based on what though? lol I'm thrilled with the Leafs season. We maintained top 5 position for 95% of the season and ended up finishing 7th overall in a 31 team league...while being the 3rd highest scoring team...i'm genuinely confused by this comment of yours lol, can you clarify why I'd be "not happy" with this season's results? :laugh::huh:

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
it's such a vague statement, good right now, or good in the near future ?

if we are talking right now:

1. Toronto
2. Jets
3. Montreal
4. Calgary ( riding on Gaudreau and their random goalie is too scary for me)
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

But, let's ranked the teams prediction for in 3 years ranking

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
4. Edmonton
5. Jets
6. Calgary

7. Ottawa

Wow. If this holds true your either super lucky or a hockey management genious and absolutely understand The finer workings on a level I cant even Begin to comprehend

How IIsee it: Jets and Calgary have very good young cores with some of their players being on great contracts. I cant see those teams not staying on top.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Calgary~ Goaltending and an aging Gio need to be addressed soon. Looks like they can consistently make playoffs barring injuries.

Winnipeg ~ Internal cap issues, Laine contract (waiver fodder), and some 30 year olds with big contracts. Questionable goaltending needing addressed. Window is going to close in a few years max. Built to win now and built for the playoff grind. One of my favorites in the next couple years to win it all.

Toronto ~ Bad D with meh D prospects and almost 200 million locked up with 3 players, 2 who have yet to crack 80 points. Baby butt soft with Babcock wearing out his welcome. Gotta see what Dubas does in free agency but his RFA signings with leverage on his side doesn’t seem too promising. Built for playoffs and a lot of early exits but there is some room to maneuver in the future.

Montreal~ Got some big contracts with pretty bad center depth. Team is overly dependent on Price to steal some games. D is not that impressive.

Vancouver- Got a nice core coming through the ranks but they are very small and one gets tossed around easily. D looks pretty shoddy with a very undersized Hughes looking like the only promising prospect. The team has yet to prove it can develop depth or acquire depth without overpaying

Ottawa ~ Eugene and the arena are going to keep them bottom feeding until a miracle happens.

Oilers~ Up against the cap and bottom feeding. Can’t develop depth or defensemen and no one wants to willingly move to Edm in free agency without getting paid. Horribly managed to boot. By far the worst Canadian team with a pretty bleak future.

Last edited:

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Next year:
Calgary
Winnipeg
Montreal
Toronto

Edmonton
Vancouver
Ottawa

3 Years: