Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade Ethan Werek to Phoenix for Oscar Lindberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No one knows whether Werek would "never become more than a third liner." People never thought Cally would be more than a third liner either.

The people that don't like the trade are going to say he had the upside of a 2nd liner, and the people that do are gonna argue that he was a purely 3rd line prospect. No one knows either way, and we're all gonna have to wait a few years to find out who the winner of this trade is, if there is one at all.

True, but think of it this way:

We basically swapped players with the same upside. The guy we traded wasn't going to be signed anyway (I think that inference is pretty obvious at this point). Whatever the reason for that was, whether it was him or us, it was a reality. This trade is a win, no matter what happens with either player.

GarretJoseph*

3rd/4th line center... great on faceoffs... sounds like Chris Drury's replacement :)

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
True, but think of it this way:

We basically swapped players with the same upside. The guy we traded wasn't going to be signed anyway (I think that inference is pretty obvious at this point). Whatever the reason for that was, whether it was him or us, it was a reality. This trade is a win, no matter what happens with either player.

It's a win either way because he wasn't going to be signed? But if him not being signed is a terrible decision, which IMO it would have been, then how is it a win either way? Could have just signed him and not made the trade. That would have been a win, too.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Son of a *****. Figures. The team makes a draft pick I LOVE and of course they trade him.

I have no problem with Lindberg. He's a solid prospect, and I love Swedes. Werek, however, brings many of the same strengths. Those people that are comparing Lindberg to Drury...what about Werek??? I think the Drury comparison is even stronger with Werek, although he's more physical (which is good).

I thought the Werek pick was FANTASTIC and I think this is a move that will be regretted. Werek is a heart and soul player, he's a leader, he's very good defensively, he can chip in offensively. He had a tough season this year, but that's not a reason to give up on the guy.

Mistake, IMO.

The guy we got is crazy good on faceoffs. Over 60% the past few years, close to 70% this past year. With Stepan, and Anisimov figuring into our long term plans at center it might not be a bad thing to have a guy that can win one in a tight spot.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
I'm actually pretty cool with this trade. Werek seemed redundant in our system. He probably would have made his way into the lineup and been an effective player anyway, but Lindberg interests me. Might just because he's something new, but it's also because I do like Swedish players, and the idea of a Chris Drury type player with youth and a more physical gameplay sounds pretty good. I'm definitely on board to have him around sooner than later.

Just as long as we don't sign him to a $7M/year contract. :sarcasm:

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
The guy we got is crazy good on faceoffs. Over 60% the past few years, close to 70% this past year. With Stepan, and Anisimov figuring into our long term plans at center it might not be a bad thing to have a guy that can win one in a tight spot.

Have you ever seen either of these players play, aside from a couple of World Junior games, if even that? Werek is no slouch in the faceoff department.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Skellefteå fan here. Oscar Lindberg is a very hard working player, he doesn't shy away from physical play, he's got good speed, terrific hands and playmaking abilities and decent shot. Hits pretty well too and works great along the boards. I think though you're in the wrong when he's being described as a defense first third/fourth liner. Oscar is an offensive player and you shouldn't read into his SEL point totals too much as he's produced aptly outside of the SEL (international and J20 totals show this). The reason his SEL numbers are low is because he's been playing on the fourth line though he has subbed as a first and second line center because of team injuries in a few games. His seven points in this years playoffs as a fourth line player is pretty decent and his line was one of our best in the playoffs and often kept the opponents busy in their own end for long periods, Oscar also had a good playoff showing last year. He scored two goals and was the best player in the last game that unfortunately sent our team out of the semis.

Lindberg has had great development this year and some Skellefteå fans even think he's taken a greater step than even Rundblad (a bit overkill in that statement, 50p in 55 games for a 20yr old D in SEL is sick) it was too bad to see him stuck on the fourth line most of the season as many of us had expected him to be maybe a second line center, but for this upcoming season we've shaken of two centers and he'll likely get a bigger role finally as he is more offensively gifted than those he might and should replace. Oh, and he's also a good pick for the shootout.

Overall I don't really see any direct weaknesses in Lindberg's game. Oh, and that hit wasn't a blindside hit, Komisarek didn't have his head up is all.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Have you ever seen either of these players play, aside from a couple of World Junior games, if even that? Werek is no slouch in the faceoff department.

Especially for a team that struggles with faceoffs like we do there's a big difference in a center who "is no slouch" at faceoffs and a center who is a god at faceoffs.

I don't claim to have any independent amateur assessment of either kid, I leave that to the real pros, but I do trust that we made this move for a reason. End of the day this is a multi-million dollar franchise with a ton of scouts who pour over this stuff like it's their job (it is their job) so instead of from the outside freaking out, I think the fan should try to see what the organization saw. I think faceoffs could be a big part of that.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
Skellefteå fan here. Oscar Lindberg is a very hard working player, he doesn't shy away from physical play, he's got good speed, terrific hands and playmaking abilities and decent shot. Hits pretty well too and works great along the boards. I think though you're in the wrong when he's being described as a defense first third/fourth liner. Oscar is an offensive player and you shouldn't read into his SEL point totals too much as he's produced aptly outside of the SEL (international and J20 totals show this). The reason his SEL numbers are low is because he's been playing on the fourth line though he has subbed as a first and second line center because of team injuries in a few games. His seven points in this years playoffs as a fourth line player is pretty decent and his line was one of our best in the playoffs and often kept the opponents busy in their own end for long periods, Oscar also had a good playoff showing last year. He scored two goals and was the best player in the last game that unfortunately sent our team out of the semis.

Lindberg has had great development this year and some Skellefteå fans even think he's taken a greater step than even Rundblad (a bit overkill in that statement, 50p in 55 games for a 20yr old D in SEL is sick) it was too bad to see him stuck on the fourth line most of the season as many of us had expected him to be maybe a second line center, but for this upcoming season we've shaken of two centers and he'll likely get a bigger role finally as he is more offensively gifted than those he might and should replace. Oh, and he's also a good pick for the shootout.

Overall I don't really see any direct weaknesses in Lindberg's game. Oh, and that hit wasn't a blindside hit, Komisarek didn't have his head up is all.

Thanks for chiming it. It's good to hear from someone who's watched the kid extensively.

From your description, he sounds like an excellent prospect, which brings me to my question:
WHY did Phoenix deal him?

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
no. The draft is a crapchute, especially after the 1st round.

Exactly. Some fans have a very hard time dealing with the fact that the draft process has has no certainty. There is no direct link between a relatively high pick and GUARANTEED success. 2 + 2 does not equal 4 in the world of drafting. Get the best scouting staff you can and then deal with luck either making you or breaking you. Hopefully for every Jessiman there is a Lundquist.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for chiming it. It's good to hear from someone who's watched the kid extensively.

From your description, he sounds like an excellent prospect, which brings me to my question:

Still paying us back for Korpikoski. We arent 100% satisfied with Wolski either, so. Next we might ask for OEL.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ

Great Post. Thanks for the Info. Was upset Werek wasnt offered and ELC when you know guys like Tommy Grant will never be more than an AHL player. When players like Sam Klassen and Tysen Dowzek get ELCs and they are ECHL players.

I dont mind giving undrafted players who the organization thinks has upside an ELC but to not give Werek an offer when he was more than a point a game player just doesnt make sense.

Hopefully Oscar Lindburgh becomes the next Henrik Zetterberg

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I wonder if this is simply that the Rangers didn't project Werek to be a center in the NHL and traded him for a player they feel can actually play center at the next level. They both shoot left and we've got plenty of LWs in the system.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Its very possible Maloney LOVES Werek. Or that they may have been trying to sign Lindberg and he has said he wants to stay in the SEL for a couple more seasons. Or they feel they need/want to have more of a power-forward type on their prospect pool.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Maybe I'm wrong but Werek seemed to have injury problems the last couple years. The other concern was he wasn't the fastest skater and his scoring while good had pretty much plateaued his draft year.

Lindberg--another 2nd rounder seems to have good size, a decent amount of aggression and 14 points as a 18 year old in the SEL doesn't seem bad either. The face-off thing looks pretty good as well. Wondering if he's a quicker or faster skater than Werek?

Either team could win this one or maybe they'll both turn out to be equal. Just looking at it from right now I'm okay with the trade.

Don't agree with that assesment at all. I thought he was a very good skater.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe Sather worked out a deal with Werek, we are going to trade u, don't sign with Yotes and we will draft you in the 2nd round again.

I hate to see Werek go...kid from day one said he wanted to be a Ranger. I know nothing of the kid we got but Werek was a favorite of mine.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I'm dissapointed in this one. I liked werek as a prospect and really wanted to see him get the chance to showacase what he can do in camp and the pre-season.

I don't know anythnig about the new prospect but I wish him luck.

NJrocket24

Oct 19, 2005
NJ
Unlike most people, I think the offensive ability is there. It is just a work in progress because of the role he has played in the SEL. In the WJC he was a hard-working player who was making nice passes as well as being a defensive stalwart. I would think Mike Peca would be the better comparison but Drury was the same type of player 5 or so years ago.

Different people see different things in players. I just happen to see offensive ability where others dont. I think if he was playing in any of the canadian junior leagues he would be well above a PPG and playing a TON of minutes as he can play in any situation.

I see him as a 40-50 point player in his prime while playing 18-20 minutes a game and shutting down the other teams best players.
I was REALLY high on him at last years draft. Although I was happy with Thomas.....:laugh:[/QUOTE]

SHINY NEW TOY, already?

For the love of god, stop penciling people into the lineup without due dilligence. PLEASE.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's a win either way because he wasn't going to be signed? But if him not being signed is a terrible decision, which IMO it would have been, then how is it a win either way? Could have just signed him and not made the trade. That would have been a win, too.

How do you know he wanted to sign with us?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I wonder if this is simply that the Rangers didn't project Werek to be a center in the NHL and traded him for a player they feel can actually play center at the next level. They both shoot left and we've got plenty of LWs in the system.

So this Swedish kid going to be at prospects camp?

Is Fasth? Hagelin will be for sure.

I actually think they may be smart to sign RFA's , throw 7 million for 4 yrs at Richards and then just let Grachev and Hagelin battle it out for a LW spot. Keep Wolski and Avery, Dubinsky of coruse and that's your LW depth for this up coming yr

I don't see Kreider being signed till another yr at College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad