Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade Ethan Werek to Phoenix for Oscar Lindberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Does anyone know if Lindberg is playing in the World Championships? I'm watching Sweden Vs Canada right now and it would be cool if I see Lindberg in the game. I'd like to watch him play. Does anyone know if he's playing?

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Dale Weise is a better physical, bottom-6 prospect than Ethan Werek. The guy put up almost a point per game in the AHL, he's big and physical, and close to making the NHL after making significant progress in his game every season.

But it's much harder for Weise to look good in his first stint in the NHL than for Werek in the minds of people who are fantacizing about a power forward.

That bottom-6 power forward you want will be a tough, hard working guy scoring point per game in the pros while constantly improving.

With statements like this, and that Richards thread you started recently, are you on a mission to prove that you have no idea what you're talking about? I'm struggling to recall a poorer comparison of players around here. Werek is superior to Weise in nearly every way. Weise is a scrub who MIGHT have a future in the NHL. The outlook is a lot better for Werek.

Admittedly I've not seen much of Werek, but whenever I've seen him he have given me very bad wibes.

I mean, you just do not make it these days unless you can skare -- and Werek is not a good skater. He is gifted, he have good size -- but so many guys like that goes to the AHL and struggles to score even 30 pts. I do not mind drafting players like Werek after the 1st round, because before you know it you get them to train right, fix some "flaws" and they skate like Dubinsky and you have a steal on your hands. But Werek just weren't able to improve his strides, was injured a lot et c. Not to mention that he just isn't that talented either. Like he is miles behind someone like Thomas and co.

You don't draft Werek because you expect him to be as talented as Thomas. You draft him because he's a ***** to play against, because he doesn't give up on plays, because he's reliable at both ends of the ice, and because he's smarter than most of his peers. I'm not going to let one season of struggles and injuries wipe away everything he did in the past. He exemplified leadership and smart, two-way play with a physical edge.

Yes, skating is very important in this league. More important than ever. But as we saw with Brian Boyle, skating is not impossible to fix. It's a lot harder to fix brains, but luckily, Werek already has that.

You got the impression early he wasn't going to pan out, and I've basically not seen any positive signs from him since being drafted. It sounds like we got out just in right time.

I can't imagine what you possibly saw that would have given you that impression, since he had a fantastic and stellar season the year we drafted him. But you said it yourself, you've not seen much of him.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
With statements like this, and that Richards thread you started recently, are you on a mission to prove that you have no idea what you're talking about? I'm struggling to recall a poorer comparison of players around here. Werek is superior to Weise in nearly every way. Weise is a scrub who MIGHT have a future in the NHL. The outlook is a lot better for Werek.

You don't draft Werek because you expect him to be as talented as Thomas. You draft him because he's a ***** to play against, because he doesn't give up on plays, because he's reliable at both ends of the ice, and because he's smarter than most of his peers. I'm not going to let one season of struggles and injuries wipe away everything he did in the past. He exemplified leadership and smart, two-way play with a physical edge.

Yes, skating is very important in this league. More important than ever. But as we saw with Brian Boyle, skating is not impossible to fix. It's a lot harder to fix brains, but luckily, Werek already has that.

I can't imagine what you possibly saw that would have given you that impression, since he had a fantastic and stellar season the year we drafted him. But you said it yourself, you've not seen much of him.

I agree with you Sting, I liked Werek a lot and the nonsense of him not progressing is just dumb. Kid was hurt and when he came back and played, played well and showed tremendous heart...he took a couple of dumb penalties that led to his suspension, it was because he cares so much and hates losing.

I think Maloney wasn't very good for us but he has been very good at hosing Sather.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I agree with you Sting, I liked Werek a lot and the nonsense of him not progressing is just dumb. Kid was hurt and when he came back and played, played well and showed tremendous heart...he took a couple of dumb penalties that led to his suspension, it was because he cares so much and hates losing.

I think Maloney wasn't very good for us but he has been very good at hosing Sather.

Yeah, because getting back a kid winning 70 percent of his faceoffs in an adult league is a hose.

Please. Great for Werek, he has heart and grit. Our entire team does. I for one would rather have a person who can win faceoffs and not be paid 7 million dollars, WHILE projecting to be much like Werek in everything except grit.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
To be fair, none of the deals between our two clubs have been that significant.

You forgot? Rozsival for Wolski was CATASTROPHIC, and trading Korpikoski is going to set us back years.

Or at least the people who think the trading between these two teams has been significant like to act like that.

SupersonicMonkey*

I felt Werek progressed nicely. He was steady and consistent in what you going to get from him as a player.

Never expected him to be a top six guy. Buts 3rd-4th line two way center with 20g-20a-40p upside. While being solid on faceoffs and bringing a gritty responsible game.

Its unfortunate that he didn't fit for what ever reason it was.

This Swedish kid looks good. Similar kind of player. Looks to be very good on faceoffs. Gritty. Two way guy with some decent size.

Now, does he get signed? I would assume so, correct?

19 years old, so its a wash in age, and basically the same upside.

Overall, not a bad trade. Lineage there with Jan Erixon. Looks like a similar kind of player too.

Hope we see him in Connecticut in the fall.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
You forgot? Rozsival for Wolski was CATASTROPHIC, and trading Korpikoski is going to set us back years.

Or at least the people who think the trading between these two teams has been significant like to act like that.

Catastrophic? Hardly. We moved an overpaid dman for an overpaid forward because we were hurting for offense...and we saved a little cap room in the process.

And trading Korpikowski isn't going to set us back months, let alone years. He wasn't going to get top 6 minutes on the team and we have no shortage of bottom 6 guys in these parts.

Really much ado about nothing.

ah, i see you were being sarcastic. lol

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Catastrophic? Hardly. We moved an overpaid dman for an overpaid forward because we were hurting for offense...and we saved a little cap room in the process.

And trading Korpikowski isn't going to set us back months, let alone years. He wasn't going to get top 6 minutes on the team and we have no shortage of bottom 6 guys in these parts.

Really much ado about nothing.

ah, i see you were being sarcastic. lol

Dude, do you realize that the Rozsival for Wolski trade saved us a lot of cap. Wolski will most likely be bought out, turning his $3.5 cap hit to $466,000. So that turns Rozsivals cap hit into $466,000. That was a great trade that helped us out a ********

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Dude, do you realize that the Rozsival for Wolski trade saved us a lot of cap. Wolski will most likely be bought out, turning his $3.5 cap hit to $466,000. So that turns Rozsivals cap hit into $466,000. That was a great trade that helped us out a ********

I was arguing that we didn't get taken. That said, on what authority do you have it that Wolski will be bought out???

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
I was arguing that we didn't get taken. That said, on what authority do you have it that Wolski will be bought out???

That is why I said most likely, most people, including Gross and Zipay, etc... think he'll be bought out. He barely did anything for us except score goals in the shootout (I know shootout goals were big for us, but still).

I'm not saying 100% he will be bought out, but speculation is that he most likely will. Sather probably knew this when he traded for him, that is why Sather is a genius when it comes to trades.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009

Lauri had a very good year...a two way player...kinda like the guy we just traded for and what all the experts on this board are craving, maybe we should have held on to him instead of unloading him and getting garbage in return. Sather and Torts seem to let emotions get in the way of evaluating what they have.

We traded Montaya away and now are desperate for goaltending...

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Arthur Staple.

So a Newsday writer says "Rangers Buying Out Wolski Almost Certain To Happen" and we believe him? I'll go ahead and say he's wrong. lol Personally, if we wanted to get rid of him why wouldn't we just trade him and a 6th round pick for a 7th rounder? Certainly that would make more sense than taking a 466k hit this year and a 666k hit the following, no?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
So a Newsday writer says "Rangers Buying Out Wolski Almost Certain To Happen" and we believe him? I'll go ahead and say he's wrong. lol Personally, if we wanted to get rid of him why wouldn't we just trade him and a 6th round pick for a 7th rounder? Certainly that would make more sense than taking a 466k hit this year and a 666k hit the following, no?

I wasn't saying that I personally believe him, but he's a legitimate source to cite in an argument.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

Weise is hardly a scrub. my sources tell me Weise is gonna be a top line winger on the Islanders next season. :naughty: I would not say Werek's outlook is better, but rather Weise's outlook is a lot clearer.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Lauri had a very good year...a two way player...kinda like the guy we just traded for and what all the experts on this board are craving, maybe we should have held on to him instead of unloading him and getting garbage in return. Sather and Torts seem to let emotions get in the way of evaluating what they have.

We traded Montaya away and now are desperate for goaltending...

Lauri did have a good year. Great for him. You know who else had a very good year? Brian Boyle. So did Derek Stepan and Artem Anisimov. Our 3 bottom 9 centers, which is what Lauri is, are good. I'm happy for Korpedo that he's doing well in Phoenix. i liked him. Guess what? Some times trades don't work out, and when it's a bottom 6 player and people act like it's the end of the world it's absolutely ludicrous, considering our strong bottom 6.

And i'm not even going to touch your second point.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
Do you know this man who's name is Henrik Lundqvist? He is from Are, Sweden. You should google him.

wow, really, you guys are so insightful.

Tell me who our backup was at the end of the season...Google him and everyone else in our system and tell me if we don't need depth.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth

Pretty sure someone on this board with knowledge of the player said Korpikoski wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad