Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It appears the Rangers may sign Lindberg

Lindberg is quoted in the article.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article12997294.ab

Translation below

Confirmed last night: Lindberg leaves Phoenix Coyotes
Skellefteå Centre Oscar Lindberg, 19, THIRD during the night Monday against the Phoenix Coyotes at New York Rangers.

In the other direction was another 19-year-old talent, the Canadian Centre Ethan Werek.

On Sunday, the New York Rangers could announce on its website that Oscar Lindberg is ready for the club. It confirmed Glen Sather, president and general manager of Rangers.The opposite direction is Canadian Ethan Werek.

"Found out it just"
Already last summer, was drafted Lindberg to the NHL when Phoenix took care of him in the second round. During the season, he still played for Skelleftea.Oscar Lindberg accounted for five goals and nine assists for Skelleftea in the year in the playoffs, it was another three goals and four assists.

If 19-year-old player in Skellefteå for next season remains to be seen.
- I found out about it exactly, so I have no idea, "he told Sportbladet.

The club's sporting director Lars Johansson also do not know what will happen yet.
- He has not signed a contract, he is just drafted. This has gone so fast. There have been some discussions, it has gone so quickly so we'll see what happens, "he says.

Oscar Lindberg's contract with Skelleftea spanning the 2012-2013 season.

The Rangers have until June 15 to sign Lindberg if they want him to play in the AHL this coming season. The Rangers pay a $225,000 transfer fee and they can sign Lindberg to a three year ELC.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Werek was surprised by the trade. He was given a heads up by his agent Mark Guy on Sunday afternoon. Guy thought the trade would be completed by Monday or Tuesday. Guy works for Don Meehan and Pat Morris. Guy reps MDZ.

Werek hadn’t signed a contract with the Rangers since being drafted, but he did not think that factored into him being dealt. If he remained unsigned through next month, he would be thrown back into the pool for this year’s draft in Minnesota June 24 and 35.

As for leaving the Rangers organization, Werek said he harbours no regrets.
“New York was good to me. They drafted me and that’s where I started my NHL career,” he said. “But Phoenix is a great opportunity and I’m excited to be going there.”

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports/article/1005516--deal-catches-werek-off-guard

Maloney is going to make Guy an offer later this week.

RangerFan10

Yes, the NHL draft is hit or miss, that's fine. But my thought is that the 'hits' have to be much bigger than they've been for this team. Other teams find a John Carlson, Parise, Eberle, Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Richards, Letang, Subban, Stastny, Giroux etc..

Yes, the Rangers have their hits in guys like Dubinsky, Callahan, Lundqvist, Stepan and Anisimov, but no one in that group outside of Lundqvist (and possibly Stepan) can really compare to anyone in the group above.

Every team in the league has their boneheaded picks and misses, but the draft picks that'll win you cups are the steals and gems you get mid-1st round/ 2nd round. Our hits haven't come close to that as of yet and that's the issue I have. In my opinion outside of the 1st round we've done well, but not great.
Some palyers you mentioned are hits I will recognize as much better than ours. Getzlaf, Perry, perhaps Carter, Richards. But Carlson? Come on. Staal's a better hit than that. And if you want to examine their other picks, I'd say Green is the only one that's impressive to the point where I think they hit better than we have.

Subban? Really? Offensively, great. But again, Staal..and McDonagh...and Sauer...and Girardi...I'm content with all four of those guys over him.

Again, Statsny is nice, but when have the Avs hit otherwise? What are you gonan tell me? Shattenkirk? Stewart? O'Reilly? We may not have hit with an ~80 point player (yet...) but as a whole the Avs are in an awful state right now and have a terrible defense, mainly because they've missed more than they've hit with defenseman in the draft.

And just to emphasize, you completely neglect the fact that we hit with a top shutdown defenseman in Marc Staal. How many guys are there like that in the NHL? And we got really lucky to get a great complimentary guy in Girardi for the top pair. And it looks like Sauer will be a great d-man that can play top 4 minutes too.

How many guys are there like Callahan, Dustin Brown, etc. that can play all situations and still sniff 60 points in an 82 game season(going on what he would've probably gotten to in moer than 62 games played).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Compare?

Go around the league, and you'll find a whole slew of teams that would give just about anything for Henrik Lundqvist on their club.

It just so happens that our big hits in the draft recently have been a superstar goaltender, and a top defensive defenseman.

The lack of a star forward doesn't mean that we should be so eager to dismiss what has been accomplished.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The club's sporting director Lars Johansson also do not know what will happen yet.
- He has not signed a contract, he is just drafted. This has gone so fast. There have been some discussions, it has gone so quickly so we'll see what happens, "he says.

The translation is a little off, he actually said there have been no discussions.

Bumblebeenineteen

Apr 15, 2009
Super nice guys Oscar Lindberg and second cousin Tim Erixon in the same NHL team - NY Rangers! That's just awesome. If you aquire David Rundblad and Adam Larsson aswell, you can add "SAIK" to the team name!

I guess you'll all have to support Skellefteå AIK in the SEL now...:)

Dec 13, 2010
big fan of lindberg over werek. werek wasn't improving and showed he doesn't have the greatest discipline at the ohl level, whereas lindberg was a very solid player in the SEL.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Super nice guys Oscar Lindberg and second cousin Tim Erixon in the same NHL team - NY Rangers! That's just awesome. If you aquire David Rundblad and Adam Larsson aswell, you can add "SAIK" to the team name!

I guess you'll all have to support Skellefteå AIK in the SEL now...:)

Sorry, I'm a Frolunda fan.

Lehner_medium.jpg
:laugh:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
haha, geez, that is quite the bump. I recall be neutral about the trade at the time seeing that we (or I) knew little of either player other than a handful of random stats. Looks good now.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Good trade. Lindberg is like a poor man's Stepan. He's very smart, good skater, patient on the ice, excellent playmaker. He has a better shot than Stepan, hits harder and is better on face-offs.

Granted, his playmaking, vision, hockey sense is not as good as Stepan, but they are all above average.

He was suggested by some in Europe to be drafted in the first round. Despite lasting into the second round, Lindberg had a good season in Sweden, establishing himself as a regular among adults while he was still a teenager.

The Rangers got a better prospect in this trade. People shouldn't be upset just because Werek is gone. We got an improvement.

Plus, and this is important, despite the fact that they are virtually the same age, because of the draft cutoff date, Lindberg was drafted in 2010 and Werek in 2009. That means the Rangers have an extra year to watch a player before determining whether he's worth signing.

By then, both of their development will be more advanced and it will be easier to tell if they are worth signing.

Good trade!

Thank god he's a poor man's Stepan or else we wouldn't be able to afford him either :sarcasm:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
My two "crazy" predictions from 2011 seem very much on target right now. My description of Lindberg as having real offensive ability was particularly insane-sounding at the time.

Dale Weise is a better physical, bottom-6 prospect than Ethan Werek.

Good trade. Lindberg is like a poor man's Stepan. He's very smart, good skater, patient on the ice, excellent playmaker. He has a better shot than Stepan, hits harder and is better on face-offs.

Granted, his playmaking, vision, hockey sense is not as good as Stepan, but they are all above average.

He was suggested by some in Europe to be drafted in the first round. Despite lasting into the second round, Lindberg had a good season in Sweden, establishing himself as a regular among adults while he was still a teenager.

The Rangers got a better prospect in this trade. People shouldn't be upset just because Werek is gone. We got an improvement.

Plus, and this is important, despite the fact that they are virtually the same age, because of the draft cutoff date, Lindberg was drafted in 2010 and Werek in 2009. That means the Rangers have an extra year to watch a player before determining whether he's worth signing.

By then, both of their development will be more advanced and it will be easier to tell if they are worth signing.

Good trade!

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With statements like this, and that Richards thread you started recently, are you on a mission to prove that you have no idea what you're talking about? I'm struggling to recall a poorer comparison of players around here. (Edit: Long post on why Werek is superior to Wiese followed this.)

And this was a response to what I wrote above. Not the first time I was told that I know nothing about prospects (most recently that Kreider isn't ready).

The thread about Richards that Sting is mentioning was in reference to the jihad I was waging against the idea of signing Brad Richards, claiming he'll go down after 1-2 years here.

Clearly when I stray from the popular opinion, it's due to my lack of knowledge of hockey (particularly prospects) and out of my desire to troll this board.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
And this was a response to what I wrote above. Not the first time I was told that I know nothing about prospects (most recently that Kreider isn't ready).

The thread about Richards that Sting is mentioning was in reference to the jihad I was waging against the idea of signing Brad Richards, claiming he'll go down after 1-2 years here.

Clearly when I stray from the popular opinion, it's due to my lack of knowledge of hockey (particularly prospects) and out of my desire to troll this board.

I thought you're the guy whose soul was bound and restricted to prospect threads by an evil curse?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Karma in a twisted way?

Essentially this
We somehow in a weird stroke of fate got Lindberg and Fast for our 2006 & 2007 first round picks,

2006 Bobby Sanguinetti was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for a 2nd round draft pick in 2011 and a 6th round draft pick in 2010. The 6th rounder became Jesper Fast (the second rounder eventually became part of the Rick Nash deal).

2007 Alexei Cherepanov (RIP). After his tragic, premature death in 2008 The National Hockey League awarded the New York Rangers a compensatory draft pick (the 17th pick of the second round, 47th overall) in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. This pick became Ethan Werek. He was then later traded for Oscar Lindberg.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anders Hedberg is undoubtedly Slats "eyes" in this trade, and I figure Hedberg thought of his old pal Jan Erixon when advicing Slats on this trade.

Oscar Lindberg is a young kid but he is very mature and smart hockey player. He is a very quick skater so to speak, changes directions in a hurry, can go back and forth at high speed. He is a decent play-maker and often scores big goals.

I don't wanna be funny, but he kind of reminds me of a young Chris Drury, lol. Nah but he is that type. Extremely clutch on FO's. Scores big goals. Skates very well, can caught a D flat-footed and beat him one on one, but also is pesky on the back-check and when chasing the puck in his own end. He is not big but also not small, he'll fill out and be at like 195 lbs.

But more then anything else, he have some of that "clutchiness" in him. In some PO's series, he is all of a sudden a pest that drives the other team nuts. In a PO game that goes to OT he is all of a sudden creating more then any other skater on the ice. That type of guy who is noticed and gets involved.

I think he is a good pickup. You never mind to have a player like him on your team. Even if he don't make it he will help out in HFD. He is a smart defensively solid center, and we do not have many of them in the systems really.

If I were to compare him with a current NHLer it would be Sami PÃ¥hlsson.

Also, there is one thing I want to add.

Good hockey-program's create good playeres. Some towns/minor teams produces a player like every 10-15th year. When a talent shows up. Most players comes from great programs, they develop around other really good prospcets. Skellefteå have made a lot of changes to their program, and they probably work harder with their kids then any other program. Their leaders think that when they were kids they were out playing on the "ponds" 6 hrs per day and training with their teams 3 hrs per week. And now have their kids training with their teams at the rinks like 30 hrs per week instead since kids don't hit the ponds anymore. And it have paid off. Adam Larsson is one product, you also have David Rundblad who is one of Ottawa's best prospects and Tim Erixon who also is a 1st round pick of Calgary, and like 3-4 others like Lindberg who are solid NHL prospects. The Swedish program is also very hot right now, and plenty of players, like say a Marcus Johansson in Washington, Marcus Kreuger of Chicago, and several others, are making it to the NHL despite not being 1st roundeers or that highly touted.

Never mind the kid, odds are just a lot higher to take a kid from a program like that then say opposed to a player from Slovakia or Finland right now, who are struggling to get any players to teh NHL.

Always interesting to go back and check evaluations. I think I oversstaetd OL's speed a bit. But at the same time, at this date we are talking about a junior player and now we are talking about his game in relation to the best of the world. OL can still step around a player at this level, but he is far from a speedster.

Anyway, if anything, OL's development lately definitely further cements my belief in the point I made in the second post quoted. OL has really skyrocketed the last 12 months. Someone objected against one poster holding Fast above OL in the pre-season thread, but if we go back 12 months or 18 months Fast was WAY ahead of OL. Fast was a star in the SEL, playing for the national team etc., while OL was a 4th lineer in the SEL. OL game has really gone straight up the last years.

And I mean, the environment has a tremendous factor here. Like I held out/predicted in that post from 2011. You cannot "prove" it. But OL is maybe the kid I've seen develop the most from the age of 18 to 21 in a really long time, and having seen it so many times before, its certainly no coincidence that he happend to play in maybe the hottest development environment in the world during that time (a small city (70k) that over 3-4 years develop a handful of NHLers/strong NHL prospects, played like 3 finals in the SEL and won 1 gold). The factor is definitely true and one that should always be taken into consideration. Get kids in great environements! Good things will come from it.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Always interesting to go back and check evaluations. I think I oversstaetd OL's speed a bit. But at the same time, at this date we are talking about a junior player and now we are talking about his game in relation to the best of the world. OL can still step around a player at this level, but he is far from a speedster.

Anyway, if anything, OL's development lately definitely further cements my belief in the point I made in the second post quoted. OL has really skyrocketed the last 12 months. Someone objected against one poster holding Fast above OL in the pre-season thread, but if we go back 12 months or 18 months Fast was WAY ahead of OL. Fast was a star in the SEL, playing for the national team etc., while OL was a 4th lineer in the SEL. OL game has really gone straight up the last years.

And I mean, the environment has a tremendous factor here. Like I held out/predicted in that post from 2011. You cannot "prove" it. But OL is maybe the kid I've seen develop the most from the age of 18 to 21 in a really long time, and having seen it so many times before, its certainly no coincidence that he happend to play in maybe the hottest development environment in the world during that time (a small city (70k) that over 3-4 years develop a handful of NHLers/strong NHL prospects, played like 3 finals in the SEL and won 1 gold). The factor is definitely true and one that should always be taken into consideration. Get kids in great environements! Good things will come from it.

OL's development over the past 12 months has been staggering.

But it is a pity that Fast picked up these injuries over the past two seasons that has set him back.

I also wholeheartedly agree on the good teams develop good players point, as I believe this is a key factor as to why the Wings has been able to stay competitive for so long and how the Devils managed the same until recently.

We have finally been able to build such an environment, and can begin to reap the benefits. A good team creates a more comfortable environment for a player to develop his game, in contrast to being thrown to the wolves on a poor team where a slight mistake is an instant GA.

San Jose and Chicago has built such environments where less highly touted prospects just seem to thrive.

Pittsburgh is OTOH an example of the opposite. Their top-heavy team with shaky D & G win a lot of games, but doesn't provide the environment for inexperienced players to succeed. The mistakes become magnified and the player's development suffers.

For example, if Marcus Krüger was drafted by the Oliers he'd be back in Sweden by now. But on Chicago he has developed into a great defensive possession center despite the glaring flaws in his game.

This is why tanking is such a flawed way to reach success. Yes you may be able to get more raw talent into your system, but you hurt the players' development in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->