Confirmed with Link: Rangers trade Ethan Werek to Phoenix for Oscar Lindberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Curious to know why Werek was dealt. Wonder when we'll find out (will leak at some point).

Kind of bummed. I was a big fan of Werek and thought he'd be a great bottom 6 guy. Granted, I love getting Swedes in our prospect pool and Lindberg is no slouch. But I still would have preferred Werek, all things considered.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Very surprised at this. When I tweeted Zipay about Werek once Horak signed and didn't get a response, maybe he knew something was up and declined to comment. This guy's ceiling seems to be similar to that of Werek's however.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I like Lindberg for his faceoff ability, very tenacious Center. I know little about this past season, but seems like a hardnose player.

Werek is a Winger, dealing from prospect depth on Wing for a Center is okay, as long as they get a good player.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The only reason I was ever remotely interested in Werek was because he was the Cherry compensatory pick.

I'm not knocking him, but I feel like he was plunged way down the depth chart after guys like Stepan and Boyle emerged as legitimate NHL centers faster than expected.

I like Swedish forwards. Not as much as Swedish swimsuit models, but they always seem to fall back to their defensive strengths when the offense isnt there.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Don't know much about Lindberg; kinda bummed bout losing Werek though, I liked him.

Is Oscar a project? How long until he's NHL ready?

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
This trade just shows that it is tough to predict the future with prospects.

This is an interesting trade as Lindberg has some grit and good defensive play
being real good on face offs.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
There was disagreement among the Rangers staff as to whether to sign Werek or not. He had injury problems, suffered through some tough management issues in Kingston, and had discipline problems. If the decision was not to sign him, Werek would have gone back into the draft and the Rangers would have gotten nothing for him. The trade was a good one considering the possible options.

As for Horak, the Rangers had to wait to sign him because otherwise they would have had to pay the Czech federation for him. By waiting, they avoided this payment.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Bu-but, Jess at Prospect Park called him the best prospect in the Ranger organization (over Stepan, Kreider and McDonagh)...I don't understand.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Thank god we have a replacement for Drury now. Here's to hoping he gets the same contract to boot.

haha. i was thinking the same thing. drury is just good for face offs at this point.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
There was disagreement among the Rangers staff as to whether to sign Werek or not. He had injury problems, suffered through some tough management issues in Kingston, and had discipline problems. If the decision was not to sign him, Werek would have gone back into the draft and the Rangers would have gotten nothing for him. The trade was a good one considering the possible options.

As for Horak, the Rangers had to wait to sign him because otherwise they would have had to pay the Czech federation for him. By waiting, they avoided this payment.

Thank Leslie!

I haven't watched Werek much, but I remember watching all the youtube highlights from the Oshawa- Kingston series (mainly to see Thomas' goals), and every game Werek played in (suspended the first 3 games for a dirty hit) he displayed some serious discipline/anger issues. One game he was responsible for taking 4 lazy minor penalties, and after every call he did the typical "what the **** did I do?" motion with his arms and head. Then he would chirp at the officials.

In another game he was absolutely destroyed behind the Oshawa net with a clean hit. He skates immediately to the bench, slams his stick and knocks down an entire rack of sticks.

Was it last year a poster on here had a friend who participated in the Rangers prospect camp? The player said one guy was a complete ******* in the locker room, and some speculated it could be Werek. Maybe we have our answer?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm not gonna analyze the trade because I admittedly don't know much about either player but I like what I hear about Lindberg. Making trades with Phoenix always scares me though because it seems like Maloney knows our system and players better than we do.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I'm pretty surprised. Kind of upset too. I see a little Dubinsky in Werek.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm assuming the organization saw the same potential in Werek that fans of this board did. So that makes me excited about Lindberg.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I'm not gonna analyze the trade because I admittedly don't know much about either player but I like what I hear about Lindberg. Making trades with Phoenix always scares me though because it seems like Maloney knows our system and players better than we do.

Werek was drafted in 2009, two years after Maloney left.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Werek was drafted in 2009, two years after Maloney left.

Yeah, that's the good thing about this deal. In every other trade, it was players that Maloney had either helped draft or players that played here while Maloney was still here. We should be good on this one at least.

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
Was it last year a poster on here had a friend who participated in the Rangers prospect camp? The player said one guy was a complete ******* in the locker room, and some speculated it could be Werek. Maybe we have our answer?

I was at development camp last summer and training camp last fall and my experiences with Werek, as was everyone else's I spoke to, were excellent. Don't think that he is a ****. I also think that he had not gotten injured in training camp last fall, this may have had a different outcome. Sometimes things just don't work out in one organization for a prospect, who then gets another chance elsewhere and thrives.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A little bummed because I liked Werek's work ethic and his overall game but if it was a case where they weren't going to sign him, then they got something which is good.

Lindberg has played with Fasth so there is some familiarity there. He looks like a buzzsaw from the few videos we've seen and now between him and Horak, that's gonna help with the faceoffs if they pan out.

Maybe they're trying to eventually have a Swedish checking line of Hagelin-Lindberg-Fasth some day.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Slats couldn't add Christensen to get back Korpikowski? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->