Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chytil To 2-Year Deal

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We have cap space now. Cap is going to be an issue in 2-3 years. We bridged our best young center. I hate this team

Cap is going to be an issue NEXT year. We still have to re-sign Shesty this year, and he will likely get 4.5 - 5 mil per year. Fox is getting paid next year. Mika is likely getting paid, or we are replacing him with another expensive player. Strome will likely be gone, but he could also be replaced by a player making similar money. The money is going to get tight. And all of that assumes that Chytil was actually willing to sign a longer term deal.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Why is it that seemingly none of our players ever want a long-term deal early

All these other teams get their young guys locked up but never us
what players are you thinking of? Because the RFA deals I can think of are all like 5 years 6M or Cale Makar no-brainers. Chytil has not established himself so obviously he signs a shorter contract in hopes of earning a bigger long term deal like say Mika's $5M AAV. Wouldn't make sense for Chytil to do a 5 year $3M now. That could be a lot of money left on the table and each million matters to these youngsters.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Who does it? What 21 year old signs 6 year 3M contracts?

Players sign long term deals when they're young when they've established themselves enough to be comfortable with the AAV. If Chytil could get himself 6x4.5M right now, he'd probably take it but I don't think we wanted to take the gamble on him living up to it. That would be a very hefty (27M) commitment to make to a kid who hasn't broken out thus far. Sure, it's great if he does become a 2C, but if he stagnates as a 40 point middle-six player who isn't a full fledged center, everyone hates the contract. He's betting on himself to be worth much more in 2 years than he is today.

So I did a few min of digging and would have to generally agree and soften my stance a bit, because long term deals off an ELC don't happen very often. And the players who do sign them are more proven (at least in terms of headline production) than Chytil. Lastly for the record, I wasn't expecting him to get more than a bridge, I knew this was 99% chance the action that would be taken.

Here are a few examples of ~middle six centers (not including MacKinnon, Schiefele, etc.) who got LT deals off their bridge:
  • Trocheck - $4.75 x 6. Signed at age 23, UFA at age 29. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 75 points in 126 games (0.60 p/g)
  • Horvat - $5.5 x 6. Signed at age 22, UFA at age 28. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 92 points in 163 games (0.56 p/g)
  • Monahan - $6.8 x 7. Signed at age 21, UFA at age 28. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 125 points in 162 games (0.77 p/g)
  • Larkin - $6.1 x 5. Signed at age 22, UFA at age 27. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 95 points in 162 games (0.59 p/g)
  • Dvorak - $4.5 x 6. Signed at age 23, UFA at age 29. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 44 points in 98 games (0.45 p/g)
Now clearly looking at this, Chytil at age 21 racking up 45 pts in 102 games (0.44) would be most comparable to Dvorak, of which the jury is still out. I get it. He hasn't done enough to justify the $4.5-5M over term it would have taken to sign him.

That said, while I accept the bridge, there are three reasons I would not say I am "pro-bridge" and would like to see the NYR take the chance on some longer term deals for players off their ELC:
  1. Even if Chytil is Dvorak...the contract will be moveable. Let's see what Dvorak gets if/when he is moved. Skjei got the NYR a 1st round pick and full contract relief. A 25 year old NHLer, even if slightly overpaid, will have value on the market especially with term.
  2. Over the last window, pinching pennies for bridges was IMO not ideal. It lead directly or indirectly to losing Miller, Hagelin, Hayes too soon and/or the kicker, for too little return. Plus overpaying/overterming Stepan which they fortunately got out of.
  3. Chytil could be more than his headline production due to usage. In the last 2 years of ELC before their second contract, here are the 5v5 pt / 60 and ranking among centers across the NHL for all the same comps:
    • Trocheck – 2.12, 11th
    • Horvat – 1.66, 80th
    • Monahan – 1.78, 49th
    • Larkin – 1.61, 93rd
    • Dvorak – 1.47, 134th
    • Chytil = 1.91, 57th
Interesting that if you were to poll people on the best and worst contracts of this group, Trocheck would be near the top and Dvorak near the bottom…

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don’t get these comments. I like Fil and the talent but he hasn’t earned a long term deal.

And I question if he’ll ever put it all together and be a staple at in the top6 on this team, not to mention as a center.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Feels like they don’t have much faith in Chytil to be the 2c moving forward.

Yep. Definitely feels like the team has lost faith in the kid. Why else would they bridge him like they do for literally almost ALL of their RFA players. Lost faith. It's the only possible reason. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GAGLine

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So I did a few min of digging and would have to generally agree and soften my stance a bit, because long term deals off an ELC don't happen very often. And the players who do sign them are more proven (at least in terms of headline production) than Chytil. Lastly for the record, I wasn't expecting him to get more than a bridge, I knew this was 99% chance the action that would be taken.

Here are a few examples of ~middle six centers (not including MacKinnon, Schiefele, etc.) who got LT deals off their bridge:
  • Trocheck - $4.75 x 6. Signed at age 23, UFA at age 29. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 75 points in 126 games (0.60 p/g)
  • Horvat - $5.5 x 6. Signed at age 22, UFA at age 28. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 92 points in 163 games (0.56 p/g)
  • Monahan - $6.8 x 7. Signed at age 21, UFA at age 28. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 125 points in 162 games (0.77 p/g)
  • Larkin - $6.1 x 5. Signed at age 22, UFA at age 27. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 95 points in 162 games (0.59 p/g)
  • Dvorak - $4.5 x 6. Signed at age 23, UFA at age 29. Prior to signing in his last 2 seasons he had 44 points in 98 games (0.45 p/g)
Now clearly looking at this, Chytil at age 21 racking up 45 pts in 102 games (0.44) would be most comparable to Dvorak, of which the jury is still out. I get it. He hasn't done enough to justify the $4.5-5M over term it would have taken to sign him.

That said, while I accept the bridge, there are three reasons I would not say I am "pro-bridge" and would like to see the NYR take the chance on some longer term deals for players off their ELC:
  1. Even if Chytil is Dvorak...the contract will be moveable. Let's see what Dvorak gets if/when he is moved. Skjei got the NYR a 1st round pick and full contract relief. A 25 year old NHLer, even if slightly overpaid, will have value on the market especially with term.
  2. Over the last window, pinching pennies for bridges was IMO not ideal. It lead directly or indirectly to losing Miller, Hagelin, Hayes too soon and/or the kicker, for too little return. Plus overpaying/overterming Stepan which they fortunately got out of.
  3. Chytil could be more than his headline production due to usage. In the last 2 years of ELC before their second contract, here are the 5v5 pt / 60 and ranking among centers across the NHL for all the same comps:
    • Trocheck – 2.12, 11th
    • Horvat – 1.66, 80th
    • Monahan – 1.78, 49th
    • Larkin – 1.61, 93rd
    • Dvorak – 1.47, 134th
    • Chytil = 1.91, 57th
Interesting that if you were to poll people on the best and worst contracts of this group, Trocheck would be near the top and Dvorak near the bottom…
I would have been all for 7 year deal @ $4.2-4.5M. Becomes a UFA at 28.

Reactions: brakeyawself

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I don’t get these comments. I like Fil and the talent but he hasn’t earned a long term deal.

That's kind of the point. The folks looking for a long term deal were hoping to lock him up at below market value by gambling on his potential. He hasn't earned it, but the idea is that if you gamble right, you'll have a bargain bin player by the time he does.

And I question if he’ll ever put it all together and be a staple at in the top6 on this team, not to mention as a center.

For the life of me, I don't understand this position. I see it repeated on here ad nauseum, and nobody has backed it up with anything concrete. Chytil has improved by a significant margin in ever aspect of his game (production, vision/using his teammates, defense, and even his face off percentage) in each of the last three years. Last year, it was evident that all he was lacking was opportunity, as Quinn buried the kid in favor of riding the top two lines. You evaluate a 21 year old player by their progression, not as if they are a finished product, and looking at his progression, I cannot figure out how there are any NYR fans NOT excited about Chytil's future in the top 6 of this team.

Reactions: brakeyawself

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

• Trocheck – 2.12, 11th
    • Horvat – 1.66, 80th
    • Monahan – 1.78, 49th
    • Larkin – 1.61, 93rd
    • Dvorak – 1.47, 134th
    • Chytil = 1.91, 57th

This is exactly where my mind was. He simply hasn't done enough to justify getting that type of deal. Those guys were producing at rates and contributing on levels which their team felt they needed to get them locked up (hence the higher AAVs as well). Dvorak is the most comparable, but even he did "more" prior to getting his bridge deal because he was a 50% faceoff guy, blocking 50 shots a year, bringing a physical game and contributing decent offensive numbers considering the horrifying low scoring team he was on. When he put up 37 points in 2017-18 it was 5th on his team. Even though Chytil's numbers are close, his contributions are not nearly as significant. I just can't see the team being interested in committing over 4M to him on a 6 year deal yet, and I can't see Chytil being willing to lock himself into a sub-4M AAV throughout some of his prime before having an opportunity to prove he's worth more, so I don't think long term was on the table from either side.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I would have been all for 7 year deal @ $4.2-4.5M. Becomes a UFA at 28.

I'd have been up for that as well, but the bridge neither surprises me nor disappoints. This team might as well be located in Madison County for all the bridges it dishes out. It's clearly an organizational philosophy, and the exceptions to that policy are rare. Hell, we were even debating whether or not the team would bridge the reigning Norris Trophy winner. I have a very high opinion of Chytil, but he hasn't even come close to the "exception line" that this team has to break their bridge contract philosophy.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Makes perfect sense from both parties. The Rangers get Chytil real cheap over the next two years. Chytil gets a chance to prove him self and try to earn a big contract next time around. Rangers use that two year period to evaluate ALL of their young player to see if Chytil is even going to be affordable to keep with the likes of Kakko And Laf and Fox Et all with new deals. Can trade him you can't afford him at the end of second year - the new team retains right. Chytil very well could NOT get better - in which case he continues to earn a small salary.

gamble and get skjei situation. lucky to trade him for a 1st. Couldn't protect him anyway in expansion draft. Well, until deAngelo imploded.. and such and such and such

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don’t believe in earning your contracts. That’s how we get stuck in the mentality of paying players for what they’ve done rather than what they will do.

I don’t think Chytil is a 20-30 point player and I believe he will explode the second he gets real ice time. He is the perfect candidate to try to avoid a bridge deal on because you’re balancing production vs potential. The only thing limiting his production at this point are his coaches.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If I was Chytil there is NO WAY I’m signing a 7 year deal right now. There is so much uncertainty with the cap and he hasn’t been given much playing time. I’d ask for 2 years.
That's a gamble on his part. The long term deal would have been a gamble on the orgs part.

He signs on the dotted line and his family is taken care of for a loooooooong time and it also affords him another massive contract, if all goes well.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
That's kind of the point. The folks looking for a long term deal were hoping to lock him up at below market value by gambling on his potential. He hasn't earned it, but the idea is that if you gamble right, you'll have a bargain bin player by the time he does.

For the life of me, I don't understand this position. I see it repeated on here ad nauseum, and nobody has backed it up with anything concrete. Chytil has improved by a significant margin in ever aspect of his game (production, vision/using his teammates, defense, and even his face off percentage) in each of the last three years. Last year, it was evident that all he was lacking was opportunity, as Quinn buried the kid in favor of riding the top two lines. You evaluate a 21 year old player by their progression, not as if they are a finished product, and looking at his progression, I cannot figure out how there are any NYR fans NOT excited about Chytil's future in the top 6 of this team.

I mean I know nothing about the neogtiations or what went down but....For Chytil and his agent to realistically think about a long term deal, you'd have to at least double the AAV on the one he signed right? Again, that's pretty risky given where the player slots in right now on the team.

It's not about not being exicted, it's about being real, there's a chance Chytil is 'just a guy' who looks really good at times but never puts it all together. I hope that isn't the case but thats kinda what he is right now. Like you said it's a gamble, any contract is really, but not one I'd make ATM.

Reactions: smoneil and LokiDog

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
someone photoshop his face

iu

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's a gamble on his part. The long term deal would have been a gamble on the orgs part.

He signs on the dotted line and his family is taken care of for a loooooooong time and it also affords him another massive contract, if all goes well.

I think that’s fair and it’s the ‘safe’ play but many of these kids are confident in their abilities. Chytil has come out and said he wants more ice time. If he’s smart with his money even with this contract, he probably doesn’t have to worry about money again. $4.6m at 21-23 years old after his ELC and signing bonus is more than many make in a lifetime.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I mean I know nothing about the neogtiations or what went down but....For Chytil and his agent to realistically think about a long term deal, you'd have to at least double the AAV on the one he signed right? Again, that's pretty risky given where the player slots in right now on the team.

It's not about not being exicted, it's about being real, there's a chance Chytil is 'just a guy' who looks really good at times but never puts it all together. I hope that isn't the case but thats kinda what he is right now. Like you said it's a gamble, any contract is really, but not one I'd make ATM.

I can see both sides of the longer contract. With no ability to have movement clauses, I'd be wary of signing long term, especially after the Buch trade. There's risk on all sides, and clearly the Rangers have erred on the side of bridges/caution in the vast majority of cases.

I still don't get the downplaying of Chytil. Posters here have put up stat charts showing that Chytil's underlying numbers were actually better than Strome's last year. He's put up the same point total the last three years, but in far fewer games each year. His defense has improved. His FO% improved by about 5 points this year. He started using his linemates far more effectively this year (compared to two years ago, where his go-to was to stick handle through everything). There's just been marked improvement in every area, to the point that calling him someone who "never puts it all together" sounds like an old scouting report. He put it all together last year. Now he just needs more minutes/opportunity. And based on the progression of the last three years, he's given us every indication that he will run with that opportunity.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This is the guy I would've tried to lock up and gain value on in the backend of the deal.

Rangers didn't learn from Buch.

So Chytil should be signed long term? So what is he? The 2nd line center? The 3rd line? What is he?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The only way you sign Chytil long term right now would be if the Rangers envisioned him as a future top 6 center. You don't want to sign a long term deal (the team or him) to play 3rd line minutes again. It's getting to the point they either need to committ to him or be willing to include him in a trade isn't it? for better or worse.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why wouldn’t you sign Chytil to a long term deal even if you think that he is just a 3rd line center? What would Chytil ask for on a long term deal, 7m per? Of course not. It makes just as much sense to sign a 3rd pairing D or a 3rd liner to a long contract as it does to give your 1st line C a long deal.

As of today, Chytil can — never — be a good performer for us. Never. If he keeps developing and plays great, he will cost a ton and at best be a wash for the organization since he will get market value on all contracts he signs from now on. If he sucks he sucks.

If he signed a long term deal we could always deal him and get something in return. If he played great his value for us would be immense.

Then there of course is a risk that he starts doing heroine or have to retire. Risk is very very small, and the GM should also be able to value that risk.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
So Chytil should be signed long term? So what is he? The 2nd line center? The 3rd line? What is he?

Unless we're getting a Lindholm (ship has sailed), I would hand Chytil 2C, along with more ice time and PP2 mins.

He was at a half pt a game clip last year, playing Quinn reduced minutes and no PP time.

The only reason he shouldn't be the 2C is if Panarin is saying he doesn't want him on his line like Kakko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad