Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chytil To 2-Year Deal

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Not surprising in the least, but if we are wondering why this team never has good contracts...this is why.

GREAT production / 60 and pretty good performance in underlying metrics...little reason to suspect he couldn't be a strong 3C with upside as a 2C for the foreseeable future. NYR have cap space to "overpay" in the short term. Yet the narrative is he "needs to "prove himself" despite limited opportunity to actually do so.
he also might not want a long term contract because he doesnt have the stats to get big money. im sure the rangers would have loved an 8 year deal with a low cap hit, but chytil wudnt want that..

Reactions: LokiDog

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Everyone is complaining about bridging him, but I don't see any reason Chytil would want 6 years right now. Lock himself into a 3M salary for 6 years? He's still hoping to breakout and get himself a 5M AAV after this. Four years would take him to UFA. Maybe we could have gotten a third year, but there's no incentive for Fil to take a 5+ year deal right now when he has no leverage for salary demands. I doubt he'd have agreed to a 6 year offer right now. He wants a shot at 2C and a chance to earn.
Yes exactly plus from the other perspective why would the Rangers want to lock up a player that for the most part still is an unknown.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That contract is partly Buffalo insulation isn't it. A longer contract and he'd be more attractive trade bait, a shorter one and he can bail out early if traded.

He still has 2 RFA years left after this contract is up, so it's moot. Buffalo would likely have him for a minimum of 5 years unless he forced his way out, which is the in-thing in Buffalo these days. All that said, I don't want to trade him.

Reactions: cheech70 and CLW

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This is the guy I would've tried to lock up and gain value on in the backend of the deal.

Rangers didn't learn from Buch.
The problem is he likely wouldn’t have wanted 6-8 years without a big aav jump.
This makes sense, gives him a year to put up numbers and then an extension takes him to 30. Which is perfect if he does end up as our 2c

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Everyone is complaining about bridging him, but I don't see any reason Chytil would want 6 years right now. Lock himself into a 3M salary for 6 years? He's still hoping to breakout and get himself a 5M AAV after this. Four years would take him to UFA. Maybe we could have gotten a third year, but there's no incentive for Fil to take a 5+ year deal right now when he has no leverage for salary demands. I doubt he'd have agreed to a 6 year offer right now. He wants a shot at 2C and a chance to earn.

So why do any other players around the league do this?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So why do any other players around the league do this?

Maybe some like the security of having the money now and not risking that they'll get injured or won't improve enough to get a bigger payday. There's also the flat cap and escrow to consider. Now more than ever, it's in these players' best interest to take a short term deal on their 2nd contract, then try to cash in on their 3rd contract.

Reactions: JCProdigy

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Bridging Chytil is pretty dumb given our cap space thanks to the bonehead Buch trade. Should've gambled on him long term. More term to Goodrow than Chytil. Unless this is because we're trading him for Eichel lol
It really is the only way it makes sense -- up the value. God knows I wouldn't sign in Buffalo if I were UFA (and I'm not even talking about the team :laugh:).

Reactions: EdJovanovski

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe some like the security of having the money now and not risking that they'll get injured or won't improve enough to get a bigger payday. There's also the flat cap and escrow to consider. Now more than ever, it's in these players' best interest to take a short term deal on their 2nd contract, then try to cash in on their 3rd contract.

Plus, Chytil has representation behind him whose job is to find his best long-term financial independence.

Reactions: JCProdigy

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Lack of confidence in themselves, I suppose.

Then I guess the NYR have selected for high self confidence in the draft for the last 15 years...

This has been the NYR M.O. the entire cap era. I highly doubt it is because every agent presses uniquely hard on their franchise compared to all others to specifically get a 2 year bridge. It’s the NYR strategy.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Then I guess the NYR have selected for high self confidence in the draft for the last 15 years...

This has been the NYR M.O. the entire cap era. I highly doubt it is because every agent presses uniquely hard on them to specifically get a 2 year bridge. It’s their strategy.

So, you answered your own question. :)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This has been the NYR M.O. the entire cap era. I highly doubt it is because every agent presses uniquely hard on their franchise compared to all others to specifically get a 2 year bridge. It’s the NYR strategy.

If it was their strategy in this case, then it's only because we have to pay out big bucks to Fox and Mika next year. Chytil at 4 mil makes that more difficult.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Nobody knows if Chytil is really a center or better suited to wing. Nobody knows what he will be in a few years, including Chytil. I can't ever recall a Chytil-like 21 year old signing a long term contract. It would be the equivalent, for either side really, of using a ouija board for contract management.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Been almost an hour and not a single reporter of ours has been able to pin down the AAV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad