Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Chytil To 2-Year Deal

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
So, you answered your own question. :)

My first “why do other players” do this question was a tongue in cheek rebuttal to the thought that the bridge was solely due to Chytil & agent’s wishes and that the NYR were held hostage in this negotiation.

It is the NYR strategy and IMO it’s not the best one.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Gotta go to the insiders for the cap hit. What’s forever blue shirts and Shapiro saying?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Then I guess the NYR have selected for high self confidence in the draft for the last 15 years...

This has been the NYR M.O. the entire cap era. I highly doubt it is because every agent presses uniquely hard on their franchise compared to all others to specifically get a 2 year bridge. It’s the NYR strategy.

This is different, Rangers were bridging players to where they had a single RFA year left after that bridge.

Buch for example, Lindgren too. It does not leave the team with much of any negotiating leverage when the player can play out that last RFA year and become a UFA after.

With two RFA years left, player has to do that twice to become a UFA and players don't seem to like doing that.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
My first “why do other players” do this question was a tongue in cheek rebuttal to the thought that the bridge was solely due to Chytil & agent’s wishes and that the NYR were held hostage in this negotiation.

It is the NYR strategy and IMO it’s not the best one.
Others responded to this anyway. Chytil didn't want to be locked long term. If we all collectively think he's still got a ceiling to reach on his potential, a bridge contract works for both sides.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Just an example, Zbad off his entry level signed a bridge that left him with 2 RFA year left.

Rangers ended up signing him after that bridge to 5.35 x 5, and really other than it being probably a year too short, and having a clause in it's last contract year, that was a bargain for the Rangers.

Kreider too his 2nd contract, same thing, bridge to 2 years of RFA left. His next contract was 4.625M for 4 years, again not a bad contract yet probably should have been 5 years. The mistake there was extending him beyond that. (which may hold true for Zbad too)

Trouba had 1 RFA year left, Rangers went 8x8.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Why is it that seemingly none of our players ever want a long-term deal early

All these other teams get their young guys locked up but never us

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I like the contract. He still has two years of control when the contract is done. More than happy to pay Chytil his value for years 25 - 32. What I can't stand is over paying a guy at 35 & 36.

Reactions: Off Sides

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
We bridge guys way too much
It was always going to be a bridge. Why on earth would Chytil accept anything other than a bridge? Sure a 7x4.5 or something works for the Rangers but why would Chytil sign a contract that would have him very underpaid for the last 3-4 years of it (if he continues to improve and becomes the player I'm sure he believes he will)?

He's betting on himself, as he should.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't care.

It's a prime opportunity to get long term value. Cap will take off in a few years. Bite the bullet for now, enjoy it later.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Number is team friendly.

Now it makes me really curious what the AAV of a 6+ year offer would've been.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So why do any other players around the league do this?

Who does it? What 21 year old signs 6 year 3M contracts?

Players sign long term deals when they're young when they've established themselves enough to be comfortable with the AAV. If Chytil could get himself 6x4.5M right now, he'd probably take it but I don't think we wanted to take the gamble on him living up to it. That would be a very hefty (27M) commitment to make to a kid who hasn't broken out thus far. Sure, it's great if he does become a 2C, but if he stagnates as a 40 point middle-six player who isn't a full fledged center, everyone hates the contract. He's betting on himself to be worth much more in 2 years than he is today.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Would have preferred to go say 4 years at 3.25 or something, but ok.

lol, even after signing Igor we’ll have about 9.2 mil in cap space

4 years takes him right to free agency. That would never have been on the table. 1, 2, 3 or 5+

With Fox and Mika needing to be paid next year, and Kakko and Kravtsov also needing new deals, the lower cap hit is better. If he breaks out, he breaks out and we'll find a way to pay him. Maybe the cap will go up by then.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Hes gonna get a biiiiig extension in 2 years.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If Chytil and his numbers stagnate the next 2 years, y'all are gonna be glad he got bridged instead of long termed even at 2.3M AAV.
If his numbers stagnate exactly where they’ve been for the last two seasons but he actually gets some real ice time, including PP time, we’ll all be quite happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad