Rangers Season Tickets Holders: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
the conversation is all over the place on here, in terms of a vaccine....it is scarily being rushed due to the current climate, ive seen a couple of videos discussing this and read up enough on it that I probably won't be touching a vaccine anytime soon. I can not see the garden being open 100 percent regardless of a vaccine or not
It's not being rushed, it's just amazing what the advancement of science and what immense funding can produce these days. These companies aren't going to release something that's unsafe, because ultimately, that will prove to me FAR more unprofitable than taking the extra time to complete the trial properly. Moreover, there is absolute transparency. Look at the Oxford vaccine, they halted the ENTIRE trial because one person got sick and didn'r resume it until they completed their investigation and discovered the illness was separate from the vaccine. I'm not trying to attack anyone, but really, anyone who doesn't take the vaccine after it earns FDA approval, or even more so, Dr. Fauci vouching for it are doing both themselves and society a disservice.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's not being rushed, it's just amazing what the advancement of science and what immense funding can produce these days. These companies aren't going to release something that's unsafe, because ultimately, that will prove to me FAR more unprofitable than taking the extra time to complete the trial properly. Moreover, there is absolute transparency. Look at the Oxford vaccine, they halted the ENTIRE trial because one person got sick and didn'r resume it until they completed their investigation and discovered the illness was separate from the vaccine. I'm not trying to attack anyone, but really, anyone who doesn't take the vaccine after it earns FDA approval, or even more so, Dr. Fauci vouching for it are doing both themselves and society a disservice.

Maybe. But the cynic in me says that the CEO's of these companies want to be first to market to get their stock prices through the roof, sell a ton of shares, and then worry about the rest later.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Maybe. But the cynic in me says that the CEO's of these companies want to be first to market to get their stock prices through the roof, sell a ton of shares, and then worry about the rest later.
And then if they release an unsafe vaccine (which would not get FDA approval or Fauci's recommendation), their stock value tanks permanently and they can never repair their reputation. Think about it logically my friend.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
And then if they release an unsafe vaccine (which would not get FDA approval or Fauci's recommendation), their stock value tanks permanently and they can never repair their reputation. Think about it logically my friend.
I think any vaccine released will be safe, but they may not be effective. The best vaccine appears to Sinopharm which won't be available here, and I've had my doubts about the Oxford vaccine for months, which is the main one we'll have here. Moderna is the other US vaccine, but's it's using experimental technology and nobody knows how effective it will be

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think any vaccine released will be safe, but they may not be effective. The best vaccine appears to Sinopharm which won't be available here, and I've had my doubts about the Oxford vaccine for months, which is the main one we'll have here. Moderna is the other US vaccine, but's it's using experimental technology and nobody knows how effective it will be
Effectiveness is different than safety. I cannot possibly predict the former. All I know with certainty is a vaccine won't be released that will harm you or your family. I tend to be more optimistic from what I've read, heard, and spoken to, but we will see. Worst case scenario, we wait a few months until we can get purchasing access to the most effective vaccine in the world at that time.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Effectiveness is different than safety. I cannot possibly predict the former. All I know with certainty is a vaccine won't be released that will harm you or your family. I tend to be more optimistic from what I've read, heard, and spoken to, but we will see. Worst case scenario, we wait a few months until we can get purchasing access to the most effective vaccine in the world at that time.

So if it's not effective, then what's the point? I don't think it's unrealistic for some to have second thoughts about big pharma prioritizing profits over the greater good.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
So if it's not effective, then what's the point? I don't think it's unrealistic for some to have second thoughts about big pharma prioritizing profits over the greater good.
Some drugs big pharma cant profit over, 100%. A vaccine is totally different because the hoops to get an effective and safe vaccine out is significantly high. Especially in a situation where too many people have reservations about vaccines (many of them for dumb reasons to be honest), a company knows that pushing something that fails to meet the proper requirements will be the death of their company. Big pharma cares about profits SO MUCH that they will ENSURE this comes out right and proper so it doesn't impact their overall company.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I respectfully disagree that it is not being rushed. Science does not work that way, regardless of the advancement it’s still not meant to come together this quickly

Reactions: OKnumber25

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I've been planning a trip to Japan/Hong Kong. They won't let me in now but maybe to boost tourism they'll give anyone who goes there a free vaccine as a requirement for entry. Can at least hope.
United has started a test with 15 minute results protocol to get in to Hawaii. Don't see why someone doesn't do the same for other destinations.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Huge numbers of people are polling that they will either wait several months after available our outright refuse to ever take the vaccine (25%), that will make availability a lot better for people that want it
The question is who it's made available for. First responders, neediest because of health/age and medical personnel should have priority. And I wonder how they handle people who are still showing antibodies (some people are still positive for antibodies, 5-6 months later).

DonkeyHotay

Jun 30, 2020
Fan attendance is something that is going to be phased back in. I put the chances of anywhere allowing 100% capacity by the end of 2020-21 at roughly 0%. I think the chances of most markets beginning to allow some capacity by then is really quite high.

The vaccines will definitely work by the way. I'm not worried about them. But I do wish they'd communicate to people that they don't need to completely prevent infection to be extremely useful. Vaccines (and disease-acquired immunity) are primarily there to prevent *disease*, not infection. Two different goals.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Had a conversation with my rep earlier in the week. No surprise but its going to come down to Gov Cuomo and Deblasio agreeing to allow fans into the building. There are plans being worked out internally for 20% 25% etc capacity. What that means for STH is still very fluid as there are a number of older at risk ticket holders who have already told the Rangers they're not comfortable attending games until this is all figured out but don't want to lose their seats.

DonkeyHotay

Jun 30, 2020
The NY situation is wild to me as someone in Georgia. I don't know a single person who's still socially distancing and I have relatives in their 70s throwing barbecues with 20 unmasked people and absolutely no one cares. The "social end" as it were happened here in like May.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
The NY situation is wild to me as someone in Georgia. I don't know a single person who's still socially distancing and I have relatives in their 70s throwing barbecues with 20 unmasked people and absolutely no one cares. The "social end" as it were happened here in like May.

Not surprised honestly. Once the weather got nicer there was going to be no way to keep everyone inside and away from each other. Going to be interesting now as we head into the cooler months in the North what happens. Usually around this time a lot of folks are starting to pack up to head south to the Carolinas or Florida for the winter. The few families i know with property in Myrtle Beach and FL are all planning on heading down this month and riding out the winter down there as they don't want to deal with a second potential shutdown in the cold up north.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Curious to see the data tied back to fans attending NCAA football, NFL, and MLB post season games down the road.

Don't see us playing with fans at MSG this season but I am curious to see what approaches other NHL teams take. I heard a rumor from a former security staffer at MSG that Dolan doesn't want events open to the public until 70% capacity is approved by the state. To pay staff and cover overheads thats the magic number to turn a profit if fans are in the building apparently.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Dolan doesn't want events open to the public until 70% capacity is approved by the state. To pay staff and cover overheads thats the magic number to turn a profit if fans are in the building apparently.
Two or three tickets pays an usher's salary for the night. Any crowd over a few hundred covers everyone's salary. Just playing the game in the building results in unavoidable overhead whether or not there are any fans in the place

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Two or three tickets pays an usher's salary for the night. Any crowd over a few hundred covers everyone's salary. Just playing the game in the building results in unavoidable overhead whether or not there are any fans in the place

Absolutely, who knows if that's just Dolan being Dolan and wanting every penny he can get his hands on or what. I'm sure other folks here would have a greater understanding as to what exactly goes into the overhead component of an event at a arena such as MSG.

Have any other teams in the east or metro division specifically released limited seating plans ?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Can't see NY allowing 70% capacity any time soon. Heck, even at 50% the bathroom lines would wrap around the building if social distancing needed to be maintained.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Absolutely, who knows if that's just Dolan being Dolan and wanting every penny he can get his hands on or what. I'm sure other folks here would have a greater understanding as to what exactly goes into the overhead component of an event at a arena such as MSG.

Have any other teams in the east or metro division specifically released limited seating plans ?

There was this from Ottawa’s owner today.

I don’t know the logistics of it but I can’t see how opening the building to fans at a limited capacity is less of a money maker than playing in the building empty. As GG alluded to, I gotta imagine the majority of the overhead is opening the building for an event itself which is done by playing in front of empty buildings anyway. Any staffers would be paid down plus some by whatever crowd is let in. Will they turn a profit on a limited crowd? Id guess not but it would at least mitigate some losses.

I can’t see a scenario in New York even remotely approaching 70% anyway. 50% even seems like a pipe dream. 20-25% would probably be what we see if it’s even allowed.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Can't see NY allowing 70% capacity any time soon. Heck, even at 50% the bathroom lines would wrap around the building if social distancing needed to be maintained.

I can see it now... Use the MSG App to book your stall / urinal....

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
No idea about MSG's overhead, but I was speaking to someone high up enough with the Jets to be in the know. When NFL was talking about 15-20% capacity, the Jets did not want it as they would be losing more money with that many fans than without fans. There is a reason there wasn't much of an objection out of the Jets or Giants when Murphy said they could not have fans.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
At this point I'm hoping we have a solution to have indoor sports by next spring/summer. I can live with rolling over my season ticket funds into the following season when hopefully we have an accepted vaccine. The more I think about it the more MSG seems like a social distancing nightmare. The blue seats have maybe four small bathrooms for example that serve that whole level, plus approx half the balcony/bridge level. What are they going to do close one of the two urinals in one mens room, and two of the four in the other? Then have one way traffic flow from B tower to C tower and if you need to return to C you go via the bridge? What about leaving the building? The tower escalators will be a problem regardless of how many people are there.

And on top of everything else chanting the goal song through a mask? I have no problem wearing one for the time being to keep everyone safe but by the time I'm ready to go to a game I'd like to be mask-less.

Reactions: NYRangers88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad