Rangers Season Ticket Holders #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Oh, and just an FYI guy who sits to my right spoke with his rep yesterday, too.

My friend had the same concerns. Sometime during their conversation the rep said, "well I can't see your tickets being as low as $30 for the pre-season, but maybe $70." ($89 range) Take it for what it's worth.

Mess94

Mar 22, 2017
Playoff Prices for Upper Bowl Center Gallery (Row 2) Seats

Does anyone know the 2017 playoff prices (per round) for Row 2 Gallery seats in the Upper Bowl Center? That row is currently blank in the 2017 playoffs chart, and it would greatly help me if someone could provide details. Thanks very much in advance.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
$9 is going to motivate people to buy the dead game? If your "average" price is $150 for arguments sake, and the dead game they set at $135. Do you really think that $15 is going to help much?

Secondly, no idea how long you have had your tickets or how long you have been paying attention to these STH threads. However, there have been many posts on here warning about the dangers of buying lower level seats for the exact reasons you stated.

Lower level seats? I'd love to have lower level seats at my price point.

This isn't likely to be a $15 swing for the "dead games". The Mets have a $15 swing for 1 price range. They have 4 price points. The range for my tickets over those are from $71 (Opening Day and Yankees games) to $24 (Weeknight April-May games).

I don't own any weeknight games from my original plan. My average price, per ticket, is $55. If there was no tier structure for the Mets for any kind of plan, I would never resell a ticket at face for a game that isn't a premium opponent, not even date.

This will make it so much easier to move a game I cannot attend. Nobody is trying to be a broker owning two tickets to the Rangers.

It puts a value on the game, to the ticket. When you're dealing with someone who you don't know personally, or going through the secondary market, it is much tougher to sell when that number on the ticket is a set value for EVERY game.

If I come up to you and say that $125 is the face value of the ticket, it sure sounds a whole hell of a lot better than, the face value I've given this ticket is $125, but it says $100 when it's printed.

This should make less of a headache for people who want to sell and buy games from options other than Stubhub, Seatgeek, Ticketmaster Exchange, etc. I can personally come here, feel comfortable listing a ticket at the price it is at, and someone buying it.

That alone is the biggest benefit of this structure.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

This isn't likely to be a $15 swing for the "dead games". The Mets have a $15 swing for 1 price range. They have 4 price points. The range for my tickets over those are from $71 (Opening Day and Yankees games) to $24 (Weeknight April-May games).

I don't own any weeknight games from my original plan. My average price, per ticket, is $55. If there was no tier structure for the Mets for any kind of plan, I would never resell a ticket at face for a game that isn't a premium opponent, not even date.

This will make it so much easier to move a game I cannot attend. Nobody is trying to be a broker owning two tickets to the Rangers.

It puts a value on the game, to the ticket. When you're dealing with someone who you don't know personally, or going through the secondary market, it is much tougher to sell when that number on the ticket is a set value for EVERY game.

If I come up to you and say that $125 is the face value of the ticket, it sure sounds a whole hell of a lot better than, the face value I've given this ticket is $125, but it says $100 when it's printed.

This should make less of a headache for people who want to sell and buy games from options other than Stubhub, Seatgeek, Ticketmaster Exchange, etc. I can personally come here, feel comfortable listing a ticket at the price it is at, and someone buying it.

Comparing Mets tickets to Rangers tickets is like comparing apples to bridges. They are completely different markets. Mets will play at home 9, 10 days in a row, the stadium is twice as big. They hardly ever sell out. Secondly, the Rangers do not have to deal with weather, Mets do. I have a friend who is a Yankees fan and will not go to a game before the weekend after Mothers Day nor will he go to a play-off game. Doesn't want to deal with cold or the possibility of the cold. Another friend who is a Mets fan will not commit to a game until gameday as he wants to be certain of the weather.

Secondly, I disagree with your analysis of selling to someone you don't know. If I don't know someone, they have 2 choices, pay the price I want, or buy from someone else. I have more of a hardtime asking a friend or acquaintance from paying more than a few dollars over face. A stranger? I'll charge them 10x face if that is the market. When they announced Leetch Night way back when, I got a text from my sister. She was asking me if I would sell her friend my tickets for Leetch night. She was willing to pay double. I told her to add a zero to the end and maybe we could talk. Actually, the part about knowing the person is not 100% true. This season, I had some tickets available for the Giants-Ravens game in November. Posted their availability on facebook. My co-worker asked me the price and because I had absolutely NO INTEREST in sitting next to her for the game, I told her $300 each for my $105 tickets. I knew she wouldn't take them, but figured if she did, I could sell my other pair and then go buy different seats!

But to the point, the spread is what I want to know. Like I said, if the lowest is 50 and the highest is 130, that is an issue for me.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

What your saying is logical, but there is absolutely no way the cheap games against the Coyotes on a Monday are going to be that cheap. They're going to overcharge for those games and will charge even more for bigger games.

The Rangers haven't done anything over the past few years to give back to their STH for being loyal. They have completely forgotten that we sat through years of dog **** and mediocre teams. Once the team went to the finals, they basically said **** you, we're raising, take it or leave it. And that will continue until people stop buying tickets. The secondary market is horrendous this year compared to last and barring a cup run, it's not going to change moving forward.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
The Rangers haven't done anything over the past few years to give back to their STH for being loyal. They have completely forgotten that we sat through years of dog **** and mediocre teams. Once the team went to the finals, they basically said **** you, we're raising, take it or leave it. And that will continue until people stop buying tickets. The secondary market is horrendous this year compared to last and barring a cup run, it's not going to change moving forward.

Couldn't have said it any better.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The Rangers haven't done anything over the past few years to give back to their STH for being loyal.
90% of owners have zero loyalty to the fans (or the drive to win a title purely for the sport, for that matter). Fans are addicts who need their fix and the owners are happy to get you as close as possible to blowing the mortgage payment or child's college fund on tickets & concessions instead. Dolan is like this, Wilpon is like that, Woody Johnson is definitely like that. George Steinbrenner was cut from a different cloth, he wanted to win at any expense and he had the same motivations as the fans. His kids in charge now could not care less about the Yankees winning as long as they make their margins, or as far as they get an extra gate for the postseason.

It's rare and almost unheard of these days to find an owner that will keep prices low to season ticket holders to reward them and cut them a break. Instead it's all about raising prices until too many people start canceling which is when they care all of a sudden. Which brings me to an interesting question, who's the best owner in sports? John Mara of the Giants is a great owner but he didn't hesitate to squeeze season ticket holders and completely run through the waiting list. The difference between him and Woody is that he has football management skills and woody johnson is good with baby shampoo...

As for Dolan, he's good for, umm, anybody?

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
90% of owners have zero loyalty to the fans (or the drive to win a title purely for the sport, for that matter). Fans are addicts who need their fix and the owners are happy to get you as close as possible to blowing the mortgage payment or child's college fund on tickets & concessions instead. Dolan is like this, Wilpon is like that, Woody Johnson is definitely like that. George Steinbrenner was cut from a different cloth, he wanted to win at any expense and he had the same motivations as the fans. His kids in charge now could not care less about the Yankees winning as long as they make their margins, or as far as they get an extra gate for the postseason.

It's rare and almost unheard of these days to find an owner that will keep prices low to season ticket holders to reward them and cut them a break. Instead it's all about raising prices until too many people start canceling which is when they care all of a sudden. Which brings me to an interesting question, who's the best owner in sports? John Mara of the Giants is a great owner but he didn't hesitate to squeeze season ticket holders and completely run through the waiting list. The difference between him and Woody is that he has football management skills and woody johnson is good with baby shampoo...

As for Dolan, he's good for, umm, anybody?

I don't disagree with this in theory, but compared to other teams STH, Rangers STH's are treated with...I guess the best phrase for what I'm thinking is reckless abandon. The Rangers have made it so clear they don't care about you as an individual.

Look, I'm not an idiot. I work in business and completely understand that if there's a demand, then tickets should go up in price. I also understand with significant playoff runs, tickets will go up. Problem is, Rangers have raised prices hugely over the past 2 years now. Last year they were awful and got wrecked in 5 and frankly, the likelihood of them doing well this year is slim (better with a WC spot, but still small).

Other teams do not neglect there fans even when they raise prices. Other teams raise prices in tandem with big winning seasons, not when they get destroyed in 5 games in the first round. Bringing up the Giants is a good point. Mara has been a good owner. I know many Giants STH and their prices have actually been relatively fair even with the raises.

The secondary market this year does not reflect the price change in tickets. In fact, I'd argue the secondary market would say there should be NO increase this year and possibly a price cut (I realize this would never happen).

This could be my sole experience, but the Rangers while raising prices, have treated me like garbage. I've been tossed to multiple reps nowadays and the reps treat me with no individual consideration anymore. They make it so clear all they care about is my money. In fact, even after I explained I was yanking my tickets, I had to have 3 conversations with the same rep (another new one) as to why i'm pulling my tickets because she kept forgetting who I was. Other teams treat their fans as if they're clients. The Rangers treat you as if you should be thankful they're even letting you have access to their tickets.

And lastly, my main point here is, when the team starts doing poorly (which will eventually happen) and ticket subscribers start dropping, those people like us who sat through crap years and have now been neglected will not be necessarily crawling back. While it's important to capitalize on a great run, as the team has had over the past decade, alienating your base who pays you through thick and thin, is, in my opinion, not the best business move. Personally, it's a risk, I believe, in the long run will not pay off. Hockey is still the 4th sport here and there's a lot of teams to compete with. Once the team falls back out of the playoffs for a year or two, the fans that flock now for the best NY based team will not be so eager.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Comparing Mets tickets to Rangers tickets is like comparing apples to bridges. They are completely different markets. Mets will play at home 9, 10 days in a row, the stadium is twice as big. They hardly ever sell out. Secondly, the Rangers do not have to deal with weather, Mets do. I have a friend who is a Yankees fan and will not go to a game before the weekend after Mothers Day nor will he go to a play-off game. Doesn't want to deal with cold or the possibility of the cold. Another friend who is a Mets fan will not commit to a game until gameday as he wants to be certain of the weather.

Secondly, I disagree with your analysis of selling to someone you don't know. If I don't know someone, they have 2 choices, pay the price I want, or buy from someone else. I have more of a hardtime asking a friend or acquaintance from paying more than a few dollars over face. A stranger? I'll charge them 10x face if that is the market. When they announced Leetch Night way back when, I got a text from my sister. She was asking me if I would sell her friend my tickets for Leetch night. She was willing to pay double. I told her to add a zero to the end and maybe we could talk. Actually, the part about knowing the person is not 100% true. This season, I had some tickets available for the Giants-Ravens game in November. Posted their availability on facebook. My co-worker asked me the price and because I had absolutely NO INTEREST in sitting next to her for the game, I told her $300 each for my $105 tickets. I knew she wouldn't take them, but figured if she did, I could sell my other pair and then go buy different seats!

But to the point, the spread is what I want to know. Like I said, if the lowest is 50 and the highest is 130, that is an issue for me.

Yeah I generally agree with you. Leave all the tickets as a flat price. Why would you want the team telling you what each game is worth? If you can't get face back on your tickets then just lower the price. I wouldn't want the team arbitrarily setting a price and saying that's what the game is worth. Now that means if I sell to someone I know I'm taking back less than the average cost. Raising the price on the better games does nothing for a lot of people because they cash out on those regardless on the secondary market. It's basically taking money out of your pocket.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I also agree with your other idea Pat of basically making the preseason games $20 or something stupid like that and making the average cost on everything else higher. Those games are dead weight anyway.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Does anyone know the 2017 playoff prices (per round) for Row 2 Gallery seats in the Upper Bowl Center? That row is currently blank in the 2017 playoffs chart, and it would greatly help me if someone could provide details. Thanks very much in advance.

Yep.. I listed the prices in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

If you can't bring it up, I'll supply the prices when I arrive home tonite.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

Yep.. I listed the prices in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

If you can't bring it up, I'll supply the prices when I arrive home tonite.

Sorry I must have missed it, I think I found your post:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=129186829&highlight=#post129186829

I just updated the chart
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=129490759#post129490759

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Rangers haven't done anything over the past few years to give back to their STH for being loyal.
I have to agree with this statement. I have held season tickets at various times for six different NHL teams and the Rangers and Coyotes are at the bottom of the barrel for customer spiffs. The Wild used to have dedicated meet the player practices and autograph sessions. They also had a dedicated micro site for STHs to buy additional tickets whenever they were available at STH rate. The Flyers always sent gifts and had open season ticket holder practices. The Flyers also had annual skate at the Spectrum events. I could understand the Coyotes being so cheap because they were run by the league for so long but when new owners finally took over, they really haven't done much more. After spending my career in retail marketing, I understand the need to take care of your own customers before trying to harvest new customers. Never quite understood why the Rangers operated the way they do.

One thing that always bothered me was the way they marked up Winter Classic tickets in Philadelphia and threw in a hat and scarf whether I needed one or not.

When that inevitable bad season comes, watch out. even New York is not a bottomless pit of customers.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
When that inevitable bad season comes, watch out. even New York is not a bottomless pit of customers.

It's not but Madison Square Garden is basically a broadway show now. Tourists don't care who wins they just want to experience a game and very wealthy companies need some place exciting to take their clients after work that won't get them in trouble with their wives. I'm telling you that even if/when the Rangers suck again, the Garden will still be sold out. I've seen it with the Knicks it boggles the mind. With the renovation it's a first class facility now on top of Penn station in the direct middle of the richest city in the world. This is basically what MSG is telling us: "we don't need you". That's one hell of a way to treat people but economically speaking they're not completely wrong.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
It's not but Madison Square Garden is basically a broadway show now. Tourists don't care who wins they just want to experience a game and very wealthy companies need some place exciting to take their clients after work that won't get them in trouble with their wives. I'm telling you that even if/when the Rangers suck again, the Garden will still be sold out. I've seen it with the Knicks it boggles the mind. With the renovation it's a first class facility now on top of Penn station in the direct middle of the richest city in the world. This is basically what MSG is telling us: "we don't need you". That's one hell of a way to treat people but economically speaking they're not completely wrong.

yankees used to think that way too. I will never forget this quote from back in 2009 in the yankeefan forum: "Yankee tickets are like Manhattan real estate, you can never have enough of them"

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
yankees used to think that way too. I will never forget this quote from back in 2009 in the yankeefan forum: "Yankee tickets are like Manhattan real estate, you can never have enough of them"

Except that they're in the Bronx instead of Midtown Manhattan above Penn, open air & subject to weather vs. roofed & climate controlled, and they have 3 times as many seats and double the game dates. Yet even with all that the tourists still come to Yankee Stadium to pay $100 for mediocre seats. They pissed off most of their season ticket holders and half the place is empty, but they're still making money

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The price increases would be a bit easier to swallow if they could actually win a game at home and not keep blowing 3rd period leads. :(

Except that they're in the Bronx instead of Midtown Manhattan above Penn, open air & subject to weather vs. roofed & climate controlled, and they have 3 times as many seats and double the game dates. Yet even with all that the tourists still come to Yankee Stadium to pay $100 for mediocre seats. They pissed off most of their season ticket holders and half the place is empty, but they're still making money

Edit: I've had yankee season tickets in the bleachers forever. They were $8 in the old stadium (maybe $12 by the last season) and when they opened the new stadium they were $5 (obstructed). Now they redid the bleachers (removed 2 sections), there are no obstructions and for $15/ticket you really can't go wrong. I can easily make my money back just selling opening day, OTD, mets, red sox and derek jeter day.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The price increases would be a bit easier to swallow if they could actually win a game at home and not keep blowing 3rd period leads. :(

Edit: I've had yankee season tickets in the bleachers forever. They were $8 in the old stadium (maybe $12 by the last season) and when they opened the new stadium they were $5 (obstructed). Now they redid the bleachers (removed 2 sections), there are no obstructions and for $15/ticket you really can't go wrong. I can easily make my money back just selling opening day, OTD, mets, red sox and derek jeter day.

That's a good point on the Yankees, they kept prices on the bottom (relatively) low whereas the Rangers are jacking up everything in all sections. But you're lucky to have that price point, the obstructed bleachers were very hard to get when the place opened and they don't sell them full season anymore (even in the redone version)

Edit: come to think of it, the Rangers do keep a cheap low price point too (400s row 6-7). MSG also used to sell $10 front row blues for the Knicks less than 10 years ago

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Little off topic but the best value as a STH in the area is the NY Red Bulls. For $340 I get 17 games, a bonus friendly, first two playoff games, first few rounds of the CONCACAF Champions League, all open cup matches except semifinal and final, an exclusive training top and a STH scarf.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
So, the renewal deadline is 5 days away. Anyone not re-upping? My rep called to remind me as I haven't paid yet...told him the increases were a joke and I was still thinking about it.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So, the renewal deadline is 5 days away. Anyone not re-upping? My rep called to remind me as I haven't paid yet...told him the increases were a joke and I was still thinking about it.

I'm waiting until the 28th, then not only am I not paying in full but I'm boycotting Chase cards all together and using a different bank with the longest payment plan

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Still up in the air. Part of me figures I'll keep them and see how it goes next season. Part of me is very worried about these new pricing tiers.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Just got a preliminary renewal email for the Knicks.

Pay 100% upfront with chase card get VIP meet greet with team + special gift. Lol

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Just got a preliminary renewal email for the Knicks.

Pay 100% upfront with chase card get VIP meet greet with team + special gift. Lol

the meet & greet was supposed to be this year, so much for that. But I'm excited to see how special this coaster is

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

I really don't see how you can so definitively state this. The increase in interest and prices has come in tandem with the best team the Rangers have seen in their history. What happens if they miss the playoffs 3 years in a row----we truly have no idea.

I really do not believe that if the Rangers end up in the bottom of the conference again that people will be paying $100 on average per game for upper tier seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad