Rangers Season Ticket Holders #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If true, that's a huge WOW.

yeah, we spoke about this in the last thread. But IMO the reason behind this is blowback from STHs who were being undercut by the Rangers dynamic pricing on ticketmaster. Many tickets were being sold at the box office at a solid amount below STH face value. Now this way, they can keep dumping yet (presumably) stay at or above STH face to not get angry phone calls and threats of lawsuits the next day.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
yeah, we spoke about this in the last thread. But IMO the reason behind this is blowback from STHs who were being undercut by the Rangers dynamic pricing on ticketmaster. Many tickets were being sold at the box office at a solid amount below STH face value. Now this way, they can keep dumping yet (presumably) stay at or above STH face to not get angry phone calls and threats of lawsuits the next day.

Honestly, I think it's just more of an excuse to raise prices on the top end games.

Now those Coyotes games for my seats will cost $70 or whatever they cost this year but those Capitals Sunday games will be $110 face value.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Honestly, I think it's just more of an excuse to raise prices on the top end games.

Now those Coyotes games for my seats will cost $70 or whatever they cost this year but those Capitals Sunday games will be $110 face value.

They don't need any excuse, they never had a problem raising prices before. I'm 99% sure this is related to dynamic pricing and STHs complaining about being undercut.

BTW, anybody else catch this new fine print on the renewal payment page:
"All payments relating to this subscription must be made to MSG directly by the Subscriber (by the Subscriber's check or credit card) and not by any third party."

not sure on what planet they think that's legal but I digress

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It all depends on how it is done. I think the Mets are pretty fair about how they classify the games. If you do not care about opponent, and can go during the week, you could get a good deal. This could help season ticket holders who sell games and they want to unload the less popular games or have to try to pair up a popular game with a less popular game.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
They don't need any excuse, they never had a problem raising prices before. I'm 99% sure this is related to dynamic pricing and STHs complaining about being undercut.

"All payments relating to this subscription must be made to MSG directly by the Subscriber (by the Subscriber's check or credit card) and not by any third party."

I honestly have no idea if it is legal or not. I have heard of other companies who also will not accept a cc from a 3rd party for fraud reasons. If it is illegal, my guess is they are banking on people not being aware it is illegal?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I honestly have no idea if it is legal or not. I have heard of other companies who also will not accept a cc from a 3rd party for fraud reasons. If it is illegal, my guess is they are banking on people not being aware it is illegal?

Who has a a 3rd party pay their season subscriber invoice?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Who has a a 3rd party pay their season subscriber invoice?

As others have said, another relative. Had a friend in HS who went to school in Buffalo. For HS graduation, his grandfather bought him a sabres ticket package. The following years, the grandfather bought for him as his Channukah gift.

An old boss of mine had Yankees season tickets. He would pay sometimes with his personal card and sometimes with a business card and not sure if the tickets were in his name or the name of the company.

First year I got tickets, my limit on my cc was $1,000. Tickets were $990 each. I paid $990 on my card and my friend gave me his cc to pay $990 on his. Both tickets were in my name.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Maybe mom, dad or wealthy relative?

MSG is getting more ridiculous by the day. treating their precious tickets like a manhattan rent controlled apt. it won't be long when the inevitable rebuild will come with a new set of reps and rules begging people to buy as much as they want.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Brokers who have accounts under different names or people who have multiple accounts under different names.

So it makes perfect sense they would want to crack down on this. These brokers are creating additional supply which hurts MSG and season subscribers who want to sell extra tickets.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
So it makes perfect sense they would want to crack down on this. These brokers are creating additional supply which hurts MSG and season subscribers who want to sell extra tickets.

And if you're relative is the one who pays for the tickets? What do you propose then? This is absolutely absurd and pathetic.

I've complained to my rep and their manager and explained why I am pulling my subscription after 13 years.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
And if you're relative is the one who pays for the tickets? What do you propose then? This is absolutely absurd and pathetic.

I've complained to my rep and their manager and explained why I am pulling my subscription after 13 years.

I get that it's less convenient for you. But you can have your relative make the payment out to you. Unless they are up against the limit of the annual gift tax exclusion it shouldn't be a problem. But that aside, I think that MSG should do what they can to limit brokers control over the secondary market, and this is a good start.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I get that it's less convenient for you. But you can have your relative make the payment out to you. Unless they are up against the limit of the annual gift tax exclusion it shouldn't be a problem. But that aside, I think that MSG should do what they can to limit brokers control over the secondary market, and this is a good start.

Ok and what about people who split tickets? This is just ridiculous. I also personally paid for my tickets with my own CC.

If they want to crack down on ticket brokers they can easily do that in other methods instead of harming existing, loyal subscribers who often pay via different methods.

CarlosDanger

Beast Mode
Aug 29, 2013
'Merica
so, my $62 tickets are now $78??? Prices have been on the rise every year for a while, and a couple bucks is understandable but to go up $16 a seat per game is just plain greedy. Might be giving my seats up this coming year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
so, my $62 tickets are now $78??? Prices have been on the rise every year for a while, and a couple bucks is understandable but to go up $16 a seat per game is just plain greedy. Might be giving my seats up this coming year.

It is ridiculous. $103 to $119 for me. Insane. I didn't even net that for tonight's game.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Ok and what about people who split tickets? This is just ridiculous. I also personally paid for my tickets with my own CC.

If they want to crack down on ticket brokers they can easily do that in other methods instead of harming existing, loyal subscribers who often pay via different methods.

Did they let you split your payments over multiple cards?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Called up about prices for the bridges - sides are 121 going to 125 (anyone want to confirm?) and centers are 133 going to 149. Same seats for the knicks (centers) are $95 and probably (hopefully) won't change much. That's a big difference. But I may be willing to go from my $92 seats which will be $105 next season to a bridge seat with roughly the same view for $125. I may also be willing to take a corner gallery row 2 for $119 (in for a penny in for a pound?).

So many choices but not particularly good ones. If I can grab some upper rows I might do that as well. Doubt I'd go for the blue seats.

CJ Matthews

Mar 11, 2017

Having this "legalese" in the terms doesn't mean that they're going to chase every single person who takes advantage of, or "abuses", this, but they will certainly use it to go after people that they know to be ticket brokers. It just gives them an option to take action, but I doubt they want to chase normal people, at least not right away. They have bigger fish to fry.

OKnumber25

Mar 26, 2012
Does anybody know when the specific face prices for each game next year will be available? I always charge my regular buyers "face", and am debating whether to charge them a variable face, or just the average.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Does anybody know when the specific face prices for each game next year will be available? I always charge my regular buyers "face", and am debating whether to charge them a variable face, or just the average.

Hasn't been published, we don't even know how many tiers there will be. In NYC the Mets were first and they used to have a bazillion tiers and a bazillion section types. I guess they learned through time but now they've pared it down to 4 tiers (with only 3 games in the top tier).

The Yankees opened up tier pricing for this 2017 season, and they're going with 5 tiers
(http://mlb.mlb.com/nyy/downloads/y2017/2017-regular-season-season-ticket-tier-schedule.pdf), and I'm sure that'll be a work in progress.

As for the Rangers, expect the preseason to be in the lowest tier, along with random October/November weekday games. Then you'll have the top tier with opening day, christmas time, and matchups against the caps/penguins/islanders, and everything in between. Look at the Yankees and mets chart (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ticketing/sth-section/sth-renewal/2017_SeasonTicketPricingChart.pdf) for an idea about the spread between tiers

Rangers110

Apr 29, 2012

My rep said probably shortly after the schedule comes out in late June.
Rep also said he doesn't know how many different pricing tiers.

My opinion would be to charge them variable pricing.

I have a situation where three people split 1 pair of season tickets. In the past it was easy because all games had the same price. Everyone chose mostly based upon their schedule instead of the opponent. Next year if everyone paid the average price instead of the individual tiered price and later decided to sell one of their lower priced games they would be at a big disadvantage. They would probably take at least a $50 loss per ticket on these lower tiered games.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Wait, for this coming season, games are going to have different prices on the season tickets?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Wait, for this coming season, games are going to have different prices on the season tickets?

Yep. I'm personally not happy about it. Makes it more difficult to sell to people you know now. I typically sell the lesser games for face to people I'm friends with but now those tickets may be $70 (when average price is $89). So I either I sell at the ticket price or I sell at the average price and it looks like I'm overcharging people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille