Rangers Season Ticket Holders #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yep. I'm personally not happy about it. Makes it more difficult to sell to people you know now. I typically sell the lesser games for face to people I'm friends with but now those tickets may be $70 (when average price is $89). So I either I sell at the ticket price or I sell at the average price and it looks like I'm overcharging people.

I was thinking variable pricing would make it easier to sell to people you know. Right now it's harder to let someone have a pair (at face) to a premium game when your opportunity cost is so much greater. With variable pricing "face" will be closer to the secondary market.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I was thinking variable pricing would make it easier to sell to people you know. Right now it's harder to let someone have a pair (at face) to a premium game when your opportunity cost is so much greater. With variable pricing "face" will be closer to the secondary market.

I've done my own variable pricing for about 10 years now. At first, Ii had one or two customers who didn't want to pay above the printed price but the great majority understood my logic. I've gotten pretty good at it so I really don't have any blowback. One thing I also do is emphasize no fees vs. what buyers find on Ticket Exchange, Stub Hub etc. That makes a big difference in resale vs. dealing with a STH.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I've done my own variable pricing for about 10 years now. At first, Ii had one or two customers who didn't want to pay above the printed price but the great majority understood my logic. I've gotten pretty good at it so I really don't have any blowback. One thing I also do is emphasize no fees vs. what buyers find on Ticket Exchange, Stub Hub etc. That makes a big difference in resale vs. dealing with a STH.

I've done the same thing and most people were very understanding. A handful of the ones that didn't simply stopped buying from me, and I found out that they rarely go to games anymore. It's only a matter of a few years before every seat at MSG is over $100 and people really think twice about going.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's only a matter of a few years before every seat at MSG is over $100 and people really think twice about going.

It's already happened, my regular buyers from like 3-4 years won't pay the prices anymore and they just don't go. I'm having to sell everything on the secondary market where people are happy to blow 30% extra on fees for some reason.

What you're left with are the tourists upstairs and the corporate accounts downstairs. The season ticket holders are still there, but they don't go to as many games. That's why big games are so much better, because those are the games the STHs actually show up for and the atmosphere is a lot better

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Spoke to my rep and he confirmed that he has been told they are going to tiered pricing. Of course, he did not have any information about how the games will be tiered, how many many tiers they will use, or any actual numbers. Said they probably won't have that information until the schedule comes out.

He kept touting that my average price will be $89/ticket and my total will not change. Also kept saying that pre-season games and early season weeknight games will be a little less than the $89, but a weekend game against the Caps will be a little more. I explained that "a little more" and "a little less" are relative terms and I want to see actual numbers.

Will a Tuesday night in November against Arizona be $80 or will they drop it to $50? If it is $80 for Arizona and then $97 for a Saturday night against the Caps or Pens, that is one thing. If it is $50 for Arizona and then $128 against the Caps or Pens, that is a completely different thing. Especially for someone like me, who now keeps the weekend games for myself. My wife never knows what time she will be able to leave work until the afternoon of that day and with a 3-year-old, not always easy to get a babysitter during the week. Aside from that, if I decide, I do want to pay $128/ticket for that saturday night game, my regular buyers might not be interested in paying that price.

The guys I sell to are either friends, relatives, or relatives of friends. I do not just want to say they are $96 each and then have to mix up games so they get close to that price point.

It would be one thing if they made the pre-season one price and the regular season another, like the Giants do. My Giants tickets are $55 for pre-season, $110 for regular season. Reasonable. I even did the math for him, took me about 45 seconds to figure it out. Make my pre-seasons $21 each and the regular season $94 each. $94*41+3*21=$3,917. A dollar more than they are charging me for the package.

The real frustrating thing is not that they are doing this, but they have NO INFORMATION to give out. So basically, the schedule is going to come out and they are going to play with the numbers until they get to a total of $3,916 for my price point and the numbers they need for every other price point.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Spoke to my rep and he confirmed that he has been told they are going to tiered pricing. Of course, he did not have any information about how the games will be tiered, how many many tiers they will use, or any actual numbers. Said they probably won't have that information until the schedule comes out.

He kept touting that my average price will be $89/ticket and my total will not change. Also kept saying that pre-season games and early season weeknight games will be a little less than the $89, but a weekend game against the Caps will be a little more. I explained that "a little more" and "a little less" are relative terms and I want to see actual numbers.

Will a Tuesday night in November against Arizona be $80 or will they drop it to $50? If it is $80 for Arizona and then $97 for a Saturday night against the Caps or Pens, that is one thing. If it is $50 for Arizona and then $128 against the Caps or Pens, that is a completely different thing. Especially for someone like me, who now keeps the weekend games for myself. My wife never knows what time she will be able to leave work until the afternoon of that day and with a 3-year-old, not always easy to get a babysitter during the week. Aside from that, if I decide, I do want to pay $128/ticket for that saturday night game, my regular buyers might not be interested in paying that price.

The guys I sell to are either friends, relatives, or relatives of friends. I do not just want to say they are $96 each and then have to mix up games so they get close to that price point.

It would be one thing if they made the pre-season one price and the regular season another, like the Giants do. My Giants tickets are $55 for pre-season, $110 for regular season. Reasonable. I even did the math for him, took me about 45 seconds to figure it out. Make my pre-seasons $21 each and the regular season $94 each. $94*41+3*21=$3,917. A dollar more than they are charging me for the package.

The real frustrating thing is not that they are doing this, but they have NO INFORMATION to give out. So basically, the schedule is going to come out and they are going to play with the numbers until they get to a total of $3,916 for my price point and the numbers they need for every other price point.

Until there is a 2017-2018 schedule released, they can't put games into categories.

And if the Caps on a Saturday costs you $128, just imagine what the single game pricing will be.

They know where money is made on re-sale, and intend to capture that revenue themselves.

madatnyr

Oct 22, 2016
Until there is a 2017-2018 schedule released, they can't put games into categories.

And if the Caps on a Saturday costs you $128, just imagine what the single game pricing will be.

They know where money is made on re-sale, and intend to capture that revenue themselves.

If they continue to do flex pricing ontop of single game dynamic pricing those ticket prices will be changing throughout the season. And in many cases, like I saw those prices will drop below the price they initially set (which makes your face value overpriced). Who knows, maybe they will stop doing the flex pricing next season.... But again that was my issue I raised with them (dropping below the initially listed price) and they didn't seem to care.

Last edited:

madatnyr

Oct 22, 2016

Get ready for more of this, the company line was "we caclulate and change the single game tickets on a daily basis based on availability."

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Having a tier system is so much better than the same price for every game. The cheaper games will 100% be easier to move out. When you struggle to move a October/November game because it's insanely priced, this will work so much better.

Telling someone that face value is $80 for a game vs Carolina vs $100 for the same seats makes it easier. The more expensive games, you'd likely be going to. If you cannot, you'd find a buyer at FV for that game, because of the demand. It'll be below the actual single game market and you'll very likely be well enough below any secondary market price with all the fees included.

This will also help selling to fans on here. There are many prime games people ask for, but because of the flat rate, selling on here will result in quite a big loss to you. This will actually result in you getting some good value back on your ticket while avoiding the secondary market all together.

People will completely overblow the tier system when it comes out and will realize by the time the season begins how much better it is for everyone.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Having a tier system is so much better than the same price for every game. The cheaper games will 100% be easier to move out. When you struggle to move a October/November game because it's insanely priced, this will work so much better.

Telling someone that face value is $80 for a game vs Carolina vs $100 for the same seats makes it easier. The more expensive games, you'd likely be going to. If you cannot, you'd find a buyer at FV for that game, because of the demand. It'll be below the actual single game market and you'll very likely be well enough below any secondary market price with all the fees included.

This will also help selling to fans on here. There are many prime games people ask for, but because of the flat rate, selling on here will result in quite a big loss to you. This will actually result in you getting some good value back on your ticket while avoiding the secondary market all together.

People will completely overblow the tier system when it comes out and will realize by the time the season begins how much better it is for everyone.
I am not some wanna-be ticket broker. I sold 4 games on the exchange this year in the regular season. The rest I either used or they went to friends, family,co-workers. I have 4 guys who each bought 4-6 games, and for them it is about day of the week rather than opponent. My face was $74, I charged them $80 to spread out the cost of the pre-season games that nobody wants.

Secondly, the weekend games are now the games that are easier for me to attend. For starters, my wife often does not know if she will be able to leave work at 4, 5, even 6. So, hard for her to commit to weekeday games. Secondly, we have a 3-year-old and another on the way. Easier to get a babysitter on the weekend. My parents and siblings are always willing to babysit, but buy the time I get to them to pick up my daughter it is close to 11pm. On weekends, she can sleep over my parents house and I pick her up the next morning. Can't always do that during the week. So now, I could be paying $128/game. To me, it is not worth that and I don't care what the secondary market says the tickets are worth.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

I know that, and if they are going to utilize this, they should wait until the schedule is released. Not give us a price and they we have to wait for them to play with the numbers until they can get them to work out how they want. I guarantee people will be on here pointing out some of the stupidity in the calculations. There will be a situation where upper 200 corners are say $50 for a low end game but $140 for a high end. Then, a lower level corner will be $100 for a low end game and $160 for a high end game.

4mattylights

Apr 26, 2016
Anyone know the process for mini plan holders when it comes to playoff seats? Got the email this week about putting down a 17-18 deposit for the ability to buy seats at one game in each of the first 2 rounds.

Anyone have any luck getting something through this in the past?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm not sure what to think of a tiered system. On 1 hand I generally go to all those early midweek games so nice that it's inexpensive. On the other hand that leaves me expensive seats to sell as I generally don't go on weekends. Plus at least this season I went to nearly all the big games the last couple of months and I imagine those would be expensive. Maybe it'll all even out.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
that's a great point, the HFB ticket thread is going to be back in business next season, so long as the face prices match reality

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
This new tier system will work for some but not everyone. My friends would always want the best games from me knowing I was only charging them face value (Friday night, Saturday night, holiday games etc.). This way, they can still have the best games and they will still pay face value (but it will be more). Not sure how they will feel about that. Time will tell.....

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
But as some people have said, if you like going to the good games then your ticket price is going up even more than your average price.....tough either way.

Blockheads88

Sep 3, 2015
Long Island, NY
NYR/MSG Pre-Game E-Mails

Hey,

Over the last couple of years I have been getting NYR Pre-Game emails
They were never consistent Always Changing Time of Email stopping then starting..

But Looks like since the beginning of march I have stopped getting them.. It looks like my settings are correct..

The Page I get to for the settings go to http://pages.email1.msg.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have no idea where to go to re-sign up? Or does anyone still receiving them?

Anyone know how else to get them e-mailed?

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Hey,

Over the last couple of years I have been getting NYR Pre-Game emails
They were never consistent Always Changing Time of Email stopping then starting..

But Looks like since the beginning of march I have stopped getting them.. It looks like my settings are correct..

The Page I get to for the settings go to http://pages.email1.msg.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have no idea where to go to re-sign up? Or does anyone still receiving them?

Anyone know how else to get them e-mailed?

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

I still get the emails before and after every game. Can't remember how I signed up...been getting them for awhile. Maybe go here: https://www.nhl.com/rangers/fans/email-sign-up

Not sure if that's the right sign-up for pre-game emails, but it's worth a shot.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I am not some wanna-be ticket broker. I sold 4 games on the exchange this year in the regular season. The rest I either used or they went to friends, family,co-workers. I have 4 guys who each bought 4-6 games, and for them it is about day of the week rather than opponent. My face was $74, I charged them $80 to spread out the cost of the pre-season games that nobody wants.

Secondly, the weekend games are now the games that are easier for me to attend. For starters, my wife often does not know if she will be able to leave work at 4, 5, even 6. So, hard for her to commit to weekeday games. Secondly, we have a 3-year-old and another on the way. Easier to get a babysitter on the weekend. My parents and siblings are always willing to babysit, but buy the time I get to them to pick up my daughter it is close to 11pm. On weekends, she can sleep over my parents house and I pick her up the next morning. Can't always do that during the week. So now, I could be paying $128/game. To me, it is not worth that and I don't care what the secondary market says the tickets are worth.

I think you're forgetting that you have some of the cheapest prices on the market, and that even making them $80 for a game against a lower tier team is still desirable.

This will help the people who have more expensive tickets. Go look back at previous resale threads on here. I don't know how many times I had to lower the price of a game beyond my face value to have people interested in the game.

I too cannot make every game and don't have dedicated buyers. You're a very specific person that this may not benefit. Not everyone has what you do.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I think you're forgetting that you have some of the cheapest prices on the market, and that even making them $80 for a game against a lower tier team is still desirable.

This will help the people who have more expensive tickets. Go look back at previous resale threads on here. I don't know how many times I had to lower the price of a game beyond my face value to have people interested in the game.

I too cannot make every game and don't have dedicated buyers. You're a very specific person that this may not benefit. Not everyone has what you do.
$9 is going to motivate people to buy the dead game? If your "average" price is $150 for arguments sake, and the dead game they set at $135. Do you really think that $15 is going to help much?

Secondly, no idea how long you have had your tickets or how long you have been paying attention to these STH threads. However, there have been many posts on here warning about the dangers of buying lower level seats for the exact reasons you stated.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Sigh...

I just list my value games and let people contact me for the rest of my list. Keeps me on the good side of the moderators and helps me do a little business.

I just don't bother posting on here and I am really not concerned about whether this board sees more action about ticket transactions. If you, Gordon, or mrjimmy sell tickets on stubhub, ticketexchange, craigslist, here, on the street outside the garden is their business and not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille