Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Are these PPG stats even considered good for top prospects in juniors?
Tough to judge just by the PPG as the CHL is littered with guys who post gaudy numbers but are fringe prospects or not even prospects at all.

That said, Othmann with 10 goals and 16 points in 12 games, that's solid production by any measure. He also looks the part--every game I've checked in on him, he's quite clearly one of the best (or the best) players on the ice. He's pacing for 80+ points which is good for a guy with his skills.

Korczak with 21 points in 17 games is pacing for similar production. But, Korczak is primarily an offensive player whose game is pretty tailored to produce big numbers in the CHL. He's also older and in his fourth CHL year. You'd hope for more production, honestly, but I'm fairly pleased with what I've seen from him. He's a couple big games away from getting his numbers back to where you'd like to see them.

Cuylle only has 13 points in 14 games but does have 9 goals. I like the way he has looked. He looked solid considering his situation last season in Hartford. It would be great for him to put up 80+ points but he's really primarily a guy who relies on goals for his points, so I think you want to see something like him scoring 40+ goals as the "point barometer" for success.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Are these PPG stats even considered good for top prospects in juniors?

It seems to me like Othmann and Korczak are on the low end of good, but I think you have to put it in context too.

For example, Othmann is on the lowest scoring team in the OHL, so that very likely impacts his scoring. He also has scored over 25% of his team's goals, which is absurd, and is 2nd in the OHL in shots per game. So if you put Othmann's production in context, I think it is a lot more impressive than it looks at face value.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Tough to judge just by the PPG as the CHL is littered with guys who post gaudy numbers but are fringe prospects or not even prospects at all.

That said, Othmann with 10 goals and 16 points in 12 games, that's solid production by any measure. He also looks the part--every game I've checked in on him, he's quite clearly one of the best (or the best) players on the ice. He's pacing for 80+ points which is good for a guy with his skills.

Korczak with 21 points in 17 games is pacing for similar production. But, Korczak is primarily an offensive player whose game is pretty tailored to produce big numbers in the CHL. He's also older and in his fourth CHL year. You'd hope for more production, honestly, but I'm fairly pleased with what I've seen from him. He's a couple big games away from getting his numbers back to where you'd like to see them.

Cuylle only has 13 points in 14 games but does have 9 goals. I like the way he has looked. He looked solid considering his situation last season in Hartford. It would be great for him to put up 80+ points but he's really primarily a guy who relies on goals for his points, so I think you want to see something like him scoring 40+ goals as the "point barometer" for success.

@nyr2k2 probably knows better than I do, but I've thought Korczak is a pretty good defensive player when I've seen him, for whatever that's worth. He's struck me as well-positioned with a high effort level and if I remember correctly, he plays on their pk. He also graded out well defensively in Mitch Brown's stat set last year:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
It seems to me like Othmann and Korczak are on the low end of good, but I think you have to put it in context too.

For example, Othmann is on the lowest scoring team in the OHL, so that very likely impacts his scoring. He also has scored over 25% of his team's goals, which is absurd, and is 2nd in the OHL in shots per game. So if you put Othmann's production in context, I think it is a lot more impressive than it looks at face value.

This is really great info, thank you. He’s probably not going to end the year at a GPG, but he’s gonna score at a good pace if he keeps firing like that.

I’ve kind of been sitting in the shadows disappointed at Othmann’s production, but this explains a ton.

You’ve also got to like the goals he’s scoring. He’s got an excellent shot that I could easily see transitioning to the NHL.

What are the odds he cracks Canada’s roster for the WJC?

Reactions: egelband and pblawr

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I would add that some CHL teams are a lot more stacked than others and that a team can be great one year and complete shit the next with players going pro and others aging out…..also better teams often trade off their top draft picks if they think they can make a run for the Memorial Cup and if they’re losing players to the pros or aging out the following year they’re not likely going to be very good.

For reasons such as that there are often very good reason not to read too much into production stats.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Othmann has 16 points.

Flint has scored 39 goals.

He's been in on 41% of their offense.

Compare that to Pastujov (who I'm still annoyed the Rangers didn't take instead of Grubbe) who is 2nd in the OHL with 29 points - which equates to 40% of their offense this year.

BO has been more than fine. His team sucks and hes pretty much carrying their offense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Othmann has 16 points.

Compare that to Pastujov (who I'm still annoyed the Rangers didn't take instead of Grubbe) who is 2nd in the OHL with 29 points - which equates to 40% of their offense this year.

BO has been more than fine. His team sucks and hes pretty much carrying their offense.

Unfortunate initials.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Othmann has 16 points.

it's also a good sign that someone like Othmann is clearly creating his own offense. could be wrong but I think players of his scouting profile usually get tagged as a "strong complimentary piece" or someone that's not exactly a driver.

he also leads his team in scoring by 6 points lol. his team really can't score.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
it's also a good sign that someone like Othmann is clearly creating his own offense. could be wrong but I think players of his scouting profile usually get tagged as a "strong complimentary piece" or someone that's not exactly a driver.

he also leads his team in scoring by 6 points lol. his team really can't score.

How does he compare to someone like JT Miller as a prospect? I feel like JT Miller was supposed to be a gritty complimentary player.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I like Cuylle and think he can be an effective bottom six forward but if anyone thinks he is going to be a big scorer in the NHL they are going to be disappointed. He's physical and can shoot the puck but he is not a creative player and doesn't project as a scorer in the NHL.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
What the heck is LIU doing with a D1 program?!

Funny side note, I was making a delivery there for my company and noticed they have an Esports team and facility. Kids were all sitting around on their laptops practicing a video game. In my day, me and my friends were considered nerdy for playing video games, now their treated like Jocks!?!

No fair.

Kids today got it good.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Okay, when is the date for when we start taking Kjelbeeg somewhat seriously?
Kjellberg is my favorite non-Kempf prospect (I can't help my bias) and he has certainly exceeded everyone's expectations after he got drafted, but I think he's still got a long way to before we take him seriously as a prospect. Right now I think he could end up a good AHL player, but I don't see a path to the NHL for him. It's definitely going to be interesting for him since RPI canceled their season last year. He's listed as a Junior but AFAIK he'll have an extra year of eligibility (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think only the Ivy League declined to give it's athletes an extra year) and could be a 24 year old senior in a couple years.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kjellberg is my favorite non-Kempf prospect (I can't help my bias) and he has certainly exceeded everyone's expectations after he got drafted, but I think he's still got a long way to before we take him seriously as a prospect. Right now I think he could end up a good AHL player, but I don't see a path to the NHL for him. It's definitely going to be interesting for him since RPI canceled their season last year. He's listed as a Junior but AFAIK he'll have an extra year of eligibility (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I think only the Ivy League declined to give it's athletes an extra year) and could be a 24 year old senior in a couple years.
Yeah he will have an extra year.

I don't understand how he has the points that he does, he's so goddamn unremarkable whenever I watch him. I know he has been given a lot of PP time basically since he first got to RPI and has done well with it, but still, he just seems like such a nothing player. But, hard to argue with points I guess.

Reactions: egelband and coz21

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
On Kempf, as @nyr2k2 mentioned he had an assist last night extending a 4 game point streak which ended tonight, and he's earned more ice time as the season has progressed. He's really impressed me with his IQ and his passing and he seems to be getting more comfortable as the season progresses.

I won't hype him up too much and he's not exactly dominating the competition but he's looked good so far.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Othmann has 16 points.

That's a good sign. Didn't Dallas's Jason Robertson do something similar on a weak junior team?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I assume Cuylle will get to play with Hartford after his CHL season ends, right? CHL season ends as late as May, I think? Is his team expected to challenge for the Memorial Cup?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I assume Cuylle will get to play with Hartford after his CHL season ends, right? CHL season ends as late as May, I think? Is his team expected to challenge for the Memorial Cup?
Preseason, they were a trendy pick to finish near the top of the OHL and push for a Robertson Cup, but they've been super average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA