Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's too bad Jensen wanted a "guarantee" or whatever and rebuffed us, he would have had a real shot either last year or this year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Since you have chosen to edit your post, I will address your add-ons. See, people make a point, and they others make a counter point. That is called a credible debate.

When people talk about Lemieux, they do not talk about him defending the young. Yes, he will absolutely respond, but he is not a "protector". Of course they love the similarities to his father. Who would not? You are talking about a player that arguably belongs in the HOF and has a history of being absolutely money when it counts the most, in the post season. That is on top of driving the opposition crazy. Give me a team full of Claude Lemieuxs. THAT is why fans love a player like that. Plus, when it comes time for the Rangers, it has been quite a while since a player like that skated as AV would not tolerate such a player.

As for protecting the kids, I have stated multiple times as to who I believe the player will be.

We post here as a community of Ranger fans. We post here because due to the fact that some of the posters have inside information. We post here to cheer together and cry together. And yes, at times take out frustration on each other. We debate topic back and forth, at times beating a horse to death, resurrecting it and then beating it to death again. But on the whole, the posters here are very insightful and many bring much to the table that I simply cannot. Take AK for instance. That guy has forgotten more than I know of our European prospects. Or Joey Bones. Or George K. These guys bring knowledge that I cannot find elsewhere as a die hard Ranger fans. And those are just a few of the many that know things and have insights that I simply do not.

As for caring or not caring, the fact that someone responded to your post, should tell you something.

Congrats. You are no different than many here.

I don't think Brendan is going to be quite as good of a player as his father who was not really a protector goon but more a very productive agitator with size. There's a youtube clip of both him and Darren McCarty getting together about their personal war and in it Claude talks about at a certain stage in his career he stopped trying to get into fights altogether. The reason for that is he was a bleeder. When punched he bled and sometimes he bled all over the place. He'd end up in the locker room getting fixed up while positive energy flowed on the opponents bench for their guy kicking his ass. That's his story. So that's something I'm going to watch for with Brendan.

Not to get me wrong but so far Brendan looks like he can handle himself pretty well. That said--he's a bit smaller than the Reaves' and the Wilson's. I wouldn't want him in a fight with the likes of Chara or a Wayne Simmonds who has long arms and likes to throw from a distance. I'd hesitate to look at him as a protector of his teammates because I don't think he can handle all the situations of that job description that might come up and I'm sure if that becomes a role he takes on that it might hurt his overall game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think Brendan is going to be quite as good of a player as his father who was not really a protector goon but more a very productive agitator with size. There's a youtube clip of both him and Darren McCarty getting together about their personal war and in it Claude talks about at a certain stage in his career he stopped trying to get into fights altogether. The reason for that is he was a bleeder. When punched he bled and sometimes he bled all over the place. He'd end up in the locker room getting fixed up while positive energy flowed on the opponents bench for their guy kicking his ass. That's his story. So that's something I'm going to watch for with Brendan.

Not to get me wrong but so far Brendan looks like he can handle himself pretty well. That said--he's a bit smaller than the Reaves' and the Wilson's. I wouldn't want him in a fight with the likes of Chara or a Wayne Simmonds who has long arms and likes to throw from a distance. I'd hesitate to look at him as a protector of his teammates because I don't think he can handle all the situations of that job description that might come up and I'm sure if that becomes a role he takes on that it might hurt his overall game.
Actually, surprisingly, Lemieux and Reaves are just about the same size. I mean, Reaves is of course in a different class of toughness. But the tale-of-the-tape is quite even.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Actually, surprisingly, Lemieux and Reaves are just about the same size. I mean, Reaves is of course in a different class of toughness. But the tale-of-the-tape is quite even.

If you watch his fights Reaves pretty much overwhelms his opponents. He is super strong and throws with both hands and he has balance and hand speed. He throws punches to hurt. IMO he would have done fine in the Probert/Kocur/Twist/Brown era. I don't think Wilson would do all that well. Someone like McQuaid would have been like Beukeboom--no one to mess with really but not near the top echelon. Chara would do okay because of his size and strength--he can hold people off and trade punches but if had to fight 15-20 times a year I'm not sure he would have made it to 40.

Another thing most fights these days last 15 seconds to half a minute. Langdon-McSorley clocks in at about 2 and a half minutes and that was action from beginning to end and that was kind of pushing the limits back then but fights use to go on a lot longer--a minute and a half--two minutes was not unusual. That's a marathon and there was a lot of wear and tear on players. These days people are absolutely gassed if they get to a minute. I don't think it's because they're not in as good shape (Langdon for one was not a fitness freak and yet he had some of the longest fights)--there are just different dynamics to the game today compared to 20/30 years ago.

Reactions: BKGooner

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't believe it was reported, but Hunter Skinner had a goal and 3 shots in his first preseason game a couple nights ago.

One of my least-favorite prospects, Nico Gross, has no points and is -2 in 2 preseason games. He needs to have a big year in terms of progression or else I think there's a very good chance he is not offered a contract.

Aaltonen only played the one game in the U20 Liiga, then didn't play the next. But, he didn't play in KalPa's exhibition on the 30th, so who knows where he's going to play.

Pajuniemi looks like he's cemented as the 3RW behind Korpikoski and Budish.

Lindbom did pretty okay in the SCA Cup. 1-1 with a 2.54 and .917. He received two starts, Isaak Wallin, the other goalie, received one.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh, I agree. He is not a protector. Nor should he be. His effectiveness is measured much differently.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you watch his fights Reaves pretty much overwhelms his opponents. He is super strong and throws with both hands and he has balance and hand speed. He throws punches to hurt. IMO he would have done fine in the Probert/Kocur/Twist/Brown era. I don't think Wilson would do all that well. Someone like McQuaid would have been like Beukeboom--no one to mess with really but not near the top echelon. Chara would do okay because of his size and strength--he can hold people off and trade punches but if had to fight 15-20 times a year I'm not sure he would have made it to 40.
Disagree on Reaves. He pretty much fights straight on. IMO, that would get him killed in the Probert/Kocur/Twist/Brown era.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Disagree on Reaves. He pretty much fights straight on. IMO, that would get him killed in the Probert/Kocur/Twist/Brown era.

Check out his fight with McGrattan then. McGrattan's like 6'8 and likes to throw straight from the shoulder. It's pretty much a draw but McGrattan was never really able to tag Reaves clean. Reaves does a lot of dodging in that one and lands the cleaner blows. McGrattan's like an old school goon.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
How in the world are the devils 3 with 2 very good prospects and a bunch of guys that wouldn’t crack our top 10? They were ranked 20th last year and and added Hughes. That alone shouldn’t push them to 3. That’s crazy.

I agree Colorado should be a top 2 but the devils I honestly think they’re below about 7 8 other teams

Reactions: Rullailija
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese