Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pronman has the Devils 3rd. They have 2 players. Hughes and Ty Smith. The rest of them are bubble players.

I think Boqvist is a really good prospect too. Should be a 2nd line wing anyway. Blackwood will be an NHL goalie. At best an average starter though. After that it looks to me like two or three bottom 6 forwards and a couple third pairing D though Walsh possibly could possibly become a 2nd pair. It's not really a deep group like the Kings have--the Kings are arguably as deep as any team including us. Hughes and Smith are definitely their big guys. Keeping in mind though Hischier is a really young guy. OTOH Zacha has kind of underachieved.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Miller and Kravtsov don’t?

Lundkvist you think is even better than miller.

None of them are sure-fire starters. Kravtsov may start in Hartford, Miller is still in college, Lundkvist is still in the SHL.

Saying the Devils only have 2 but at the same time penciling in 5 Ranger prospects is crazy. I think our prospect pool is deeper, but like NJD it is very top-heavy

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly if you take Hughes out of the equation I don’t think the Devils even belong in the top 15.

Smith is a good prospect, but he’s not special.
I think Smith is special but i agree with the first part. I think that we have a better pool for sure and Pronman clearly agrees but next year with Hughes graduated i cant see the Devils in the top5 unless they win the lottery

Reactions: eco's bones

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I just read pronman’s ranking and he literally says that it’s basically because he’s extremely high on Hughes and to some extent Smith but sees the rest as the more bubble prospects

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I just read pronman’s ranking and he literally says that it’s basically because he’s extremely high on Hughes and to some extent Smith but sees the rest as the more bubble prospects
And he's definitely overstating the aggregate effect of those bubble prospects. I think the Devils do have some pretty solid pieces outside of Hughes/Smith in Boqvist, Clarke, McLeod (probably can be a 2C), Misyul, and Walsh. However, it's kinda absurd that they're ranked higher than the Kings who not only have more depth, but also have much better talent distributed through their top-10.

To be honest, I'd have them pretty easily ranked behind teams 4-8 on Pronman's list too.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

New York Rangers: Igor Shesterkin, G
Expectations are that top prospects Kaapo Kakko, Vitaly Kravtsov and Adam Fox will make the Rangers, but Shesterkin is the most interesting to me given the Rangers’ goalie situation. Henrik Lundqvist is in the twilight of his career and signed at big money for the next two years, and Alexandar Georgiev has been a pleasant surprise the past two years. It’s a tough situation when you add in Shesterkin, who is 23 years old and one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL. He may need time to adjust to North America, but if he looks excellent, it could create a very difficult choice for the Rangers front office.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
None of them are sure-fire starters. Kravtsov may start in Hartford, Miller is still in college, Lundkvist is still in the SHL.

Saying the Devils only have 2 but at the same time penciling in 5 Ranger prospects is crazy. I think our prospect pool is deeper, but like NJD it is very top-heavy

I don’t get it. What does starters mean? Starting in the NHL? Shouldn’t have anything to do with a Prospect ranking.

This should and is I believe based on upside. Devils have 2 really good prospects and a lot of bubble guys that wouldn’t crack our top 10.

PS Kravtsov is not starting in Hartford. Forget that idea.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

that would be valid if the list was only looking at prospects that will play in the NHL this season instead of the entire system. that is not at all what it is though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that would be valid if the list was only looking at prospects that will play in the NHL this season instead of the entire system. that is not at all what it is though.

Fine. New Jersey has more prospects than just Hughes and Smith then. That was my entire point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t get it. What does starters mean? Starting in the NHL? Shouldn’t have anything to do with a Prospect ranking.

This should and is I believe based on upside. Devils have 2 really good prospects and a lot of bubble guys that wouldn’t crack our top 10.

PS Kravtsov is not starting in Hartford. Forget that idea.

See above

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People crap on Howden all the time and I see him really becoming with time a very good 3c but compared to someone like Michael McLeod I'd take Howden 100 times out of 100. McLeod's got size and is a really good skater but his offense kind of plateaued two/three years ago. There was no real significant improvement his last couple years in the CHL and 6 goals 33 points last year in his first pro year in the AHL isn't bad but hey Gettinger had pretty much the same point production in his first year and Hartford sucked offensively. So if I were a Devils fan I'd be a bit frustrated with McLeod at this point and FWIW he came in 8th in their own off season prospect rankings at HF this summer. Going into his D +4 season as a 12OA pick in his draft year that's not encouraging--it's kind of more like our experience with McIlrath.

To me what the Devils really have is Hughes then Smith then a bit of a drop to Boqvist--then another drop to Blackwood, Anderson and maybe Walsh. Those last 3 would definitely not make our top 10.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pronman uses a 7 tier ranking system. He put Hughes in the top tier, Smith in his 3rd tier, Boquist in his 4th tier and then 10 players each in tiers 5 and 6. So NJ does have a lot of prospects but Pronman does not rate the bulk of them very highly. When we see his rankings of the Rangers we will see him rank as many if not more Ranger prospects and will certainly rate more than 3 players in his top 4 tiers. This is the point that the other commenters have been making. There is no argument that NJ has more prospects than Hughes and Smith but that Pronman doesn't rate the majority of them very highly. Whether any of these prospects actually play in the NHL this year is not relevant to his ranking system. Anyone can disagree with his rankings but Pronman is going to rank the Rangers prospects in terms of both quality and depth as better than NJs.

Fine. New Jersey has more prospects than just Hughes and Smith then. That was my entire point.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
People crap on Howden all the time and I see him really becoming with time a very good 3c but compared to someone like Michael McLeod I'd take Howden 100 times out of 100. McLeod's got size and is a really good skater but his offense kind of plateaued two/three years ago. There was no real significant improvement his last couple years in the CHL and 6 goals 33 points last year in his first pro year in the AHL isn't bad but hey Gettinger had pretty much the same point production in his first year and Hartford sucked offensively. So if I were a Devils fan I'd be a bit frustrated with McLeod at this point and FWIW he came in 8th in their own off season prospect rankings at HF this summer. Going into his D +4 season as a 12OA pick in his draft year that's not encouraging--it's kind of more like our experience with McIlrath.

To me what the Devils really have is Hughes then Smith then a bit of a drop to Boqvist--then another drop to Blackwood, Anderson and maybe Walsh. Those last 3 would definitely not make our top 10.

Agreed, and even if it has faced heavy criticism in the past, I still wonder if Howden might not have top 6 potential -- on the wing. My reasoning is just that having that guy with size and speed on the wing that can play a N-S game and inject energy when he is on the ice -- like Chris Kreider -- constantly have helped all our top 6 forward constellations the last years, when they have had it.

In addition, for me a line is always only about the combined contribution you get from the three forwards on it. Depending on how a line tries to play, it basically needs a certain volume of skill in certain areas. Howden contributes with speed and energy and a bit of size, also think he could start to play with a bit more edge.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed, and even if it has faced heavy criticism in the past, I still wonder if Howden might not have top 6 potential -- on the wing. My reasoning is just that having that guy with size and speed on the wing that can play a N-S game and inject energy when he is on the ice -- like Chris Kreider -- constantly have helped all our top 6 forward constellations the last years, when they have had it.

In addition, for me a line is always only about the combined contribution you get from the three forwards on it. Depending on how a line tries to play, it basically needs a certain volume of skill in certain areas. Howden contributes with speed and energy and a bit of size, also think he could start to play with a bit more edge.

I'm hoping for some improvement out of Howden this year. His career is in its early stages---he should fill out more and get stronger. One of the things that might keep him at center though is he's fairly decent at faceoffs.

Reactions: Ola and egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Having Rykov 18, Barron 21, and Reunanen 23 behind guys like Day Gropp and friggen Gabe Fontaine flat out looks like he forgot about these guys.

That’s a bad job

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Even if I tend to agree about his overall assessment of the player, I Can’t even begin to understand why he has lundkvist behind guys like Keane and Jones. I do think he’s overrated on this board a bit. I like him but he’s tiny and doesn’t seem to have the offensive flash that guys that size tend to have that succeed in this league. I think he’ll have a very hard time taking ice time from any of our current 3 Right Dmen for a long time.

Robertson is questionable but he may be the better prospect over lundkvist long term so I’ll reserve judgement there.

But having him behind Keane and Jones is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad