Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Went 43/46 today

Olof?

Played today:
8887D539-FE0F-49F8-8342-A646065C7991.png

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wtf am I watching?

I think it was this way for maybe only one or two seasons. No ties in MLS at the time.

I'm picturing being an esteemed footballer like Donadoni and Savarese and coming to MLS in 1996, only to do what would be the hockey equivalent of a hardest shooter contest to win a game.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wtf am I watching?
When the MLS first began, the league was adamantly opposed to ties. So to settle a game, they'd do this shootout (because evidently they felt standard PKs were boring or something). It lasted a few seasons before they abandoned it. The old NASL had also used it. Beyond it being really different, it was actually an interesting concept (IMO). I do remember reading that FIFA was considering using it for future World Cups, as it arguably requires more skill than a standard PK situation.

There was also no stoppage time with these shootouts. Like they'd hit the 90-minute mark and that whistle would blow. Then this. As a GK myself I really liked it. It gave the keeper more of a chance. There's a bit of skill in reading the shooter, but at the top levels they're too good and if they pick a spot and execute they're gonna score even if you guess right. It's like the GK is just a minor impediment to seeing if a guy can execute his shot.

Reactions: darko and Ola

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Didn't Roger Neilson force a rule change when he was coaching in juniors by pulling the goalie when a penalty shot was awarded agains this team, putting in a defenseman, and having the defenseman charge out to challenge the shooter?

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Didn't Roger Neilson force a rule change when he was coaching in juniors by pulling the goalie when a penalty shot was awarded agains this team, putting in a defenseman, and having the defenseman charge out to challenge the shooter?

I think Neilson forced several rule changes over the years. SB Nation did a video about it not too long ago

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We have no kids in Russia anymore, right?

I think they like the picks they made from NA, and Edstrom and so forth. But wouldn’t have minded if they gambled on some Russian kids too...

Reactions: kovazub94

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I think they like the picks they made from NA, and Edstrom and so forth. But wouldn’t have minded if they gambled on some Russian kids too...
No KHLers this season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

SKA has a good scouting (of other teams best prospects) so if wanted the work is already half done.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad