Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 9.1.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Even if I tend to agree about his overall assessment of the player, I Can’t even begin to understand why he has lundkvist behind guys like Keane and Jones. I do think he’s overrated on this board a bit. I like him but he’s tiny and doesn’t seem to have the offensive flash that guys that size tend to have that succeed in this league. I think he’ll have a very hard time taking ice time from any of our current 3 Right Dmen for a long time.

Robertson is questionable but he may be the better prospect over lundkvist long term so I’ll reserve judgement there.

But having him behind Keane and Jones is crazy

Lundkvist is 5'11 175, which is hardly tiny. For comparison's sake Keane is a year older, and 6'0, 184.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I actually do have a concern about a possible top 6 that is half filled with smallish, puck moving defensemen. But my concern is across the board and not to one specific person.

I think it's fine to carry a few small guys if they're good players. Look at the rest of the prospects and players the Rangers have...Trouba, Skjei, Miller, Hajek, Rykov, Robertson... (edit, I know that's not all of the prospects but when looking to the immediate future those are the guys I see most likely to be around in 2-3 years...) All of those guys are at least 6'2 200+ lbs. Even this season it's not "half filled", it's two guys (DeAngelo and Fox) that are a tad undersized and then again everyone else is going to be 6'2 or bigger.

I think a defense can handle having two players who are slightly undersized puck movers.

Reactions: BKGooner

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I actually do have a concern about a possible top 6 that is half filled with smallish, puck moving defensemen. But my concern is across the board and not to one specific person.

thats why getting trouba was such a huge move...he compliments the other RHD and adds a different dimension. but the game is becoming less and less physical and there is decent size on the left side so I'd be more concerned about having guys that are too similar and not able to fill certain roles than concerned about size. we obviously don't need 3 RHD that can play the PP but none can kill penalties or match up against the other teams top line.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
thats why getting trouba was such a huge move...he compliments the other RHD and adds a different dimension. but the game is becoming less and less physical and there is decent size on the left side so I'd be more concerned about having guys that are too similar and not able to fill certain roles than concerned about size. we obviously don't need 3 RHD that can play the PP but none can kill penalties or match up against the other teams top line.
The game may be less physical, but it is still not two hand touch, nor do I think that it ever will be. There is always a need for physicality. With regards to defensemen, you still need to be able to clear the crease and battle along the boards and in corners. Lack of size can lead to being overwhelmed in these areas.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
so nils at 5'11 175 is tiny....fox at 5'11 180 is small...deangelo at 5'11 180 is fine according to this board

Well for some reason you are ingnoring the whole of what I said. First off all 3 of them are small. But two of them are offensive dynamos. 5’11 175 for a dman who maybe doesn’t have much offensive flash is small. You overlook that size when the skill overcomes it. Do you think lundkvist is really going to bring more than Fox or DeAngelo? I don’t and I do like the kid but I worry about where he fits here long term.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Well for some reason you are ingnoring the whole of what I said. First off all 3 of them are small. But two of them are offensive dynamos. 5’11 175 for a dman who maybe doesn’t have much offensive flash is small. You overlook that size when the skill overcomes it. Do you think lundkvist is really going to bring more than Fox or DeAngelo? I don’t and I do like the kid but I worry about where he fits here long term.

Lundkvist had the same # of points as Erik Karlsson in 4 fewer games in his D+1 season in the SHL so clearly there is zero potential offensive upside

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lundkvist had the same # of points as Erik Karlsson in 4 fewer games in his D+1 season in the SHL so clearly there is zero potential offensive upside

Playing on the top pair in the 3rd best league in the world, on one of the best teams, at age 19 is impressive and rarely mentioned

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Playing on the top pair in the 3rd best league in the world, on one of the best teams, at age 19 is impressive and rarely mentioned
That's because saying the SHL is the 3rd best league is debatable.

I would definitely say if he played in the AHL on the top pair with over 20 min a game and held his own at 19 would be more impressive.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I didn’t say he had zero upside. I just don’t think he has nearly the same as the two kids ahead of him. I think he plays a quieter game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's because saying the SHL is the 3rd best league is debatable.

I would definitely say if he played in the AHL on the top pair with over 20 min a game and held his own at 19 would be more impressive.

Well, let's not pretend as if the AHL is significantly better than the SHL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I didn’t say he had zero upside. I just don’t think he has nearly the same as the two kids ahead of him. I think he plays a quieter game.

If Miller/Fox would play pro at this stage they wouldn't be as noticeable as they were last season in college.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Miller/Fox would play pro at this stage they wouldn't be as noticeable as they were last season in college.

Listen you believe lundkvist is a better prospect than miller and I think miller is a better prospect than Fox and lundkvist combined . So we’re probably not going to agree much here lol.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Listen you believe lundkvist is a better prospect than miller and I think miller is a better prospect than Fox and lundkvist combined . So we’re probably not going to agree much here lol.

Are we not even going to agree on my suggestion that it's easier to dominate in college as an 18 year old than it is in the SHL?

Because you're just saying that Lundkvist plays a quieter game in a top league in the world

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

but seriously have you ever not hated a swedish ranger? maybe michael nylander or jan erixon? lol (not really serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->