Post-Game Talk: Rangers/Pens - Celly for Celebrini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A full future trade does nothing to get them bad in the POs next year, which is what the plan is. You might not like it but FSG wants one more run for Sid and Kyle's job is to try to make it happen. Again, this isn't a video game with no real-world consequences to tanking for the future.

Bunting is a final player and has already made the PP look better. He could easily be a Kunitz-lite player for Sid, which is great at the price.

Also, if you paid attention during the TDL, prices were pretty weak. I highly doubt he couldn't have done much better.

That's not really true.

You can take assets and repackage them especially when you have cap space.

Instead.. we pretty much have this locked in.. with 12.7 mil to play with...

1710642213684.png

Reactions: farscape1

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kapanen had a hot start in St Louis before going back to being a pile of shit so I'm skeptical about Nylander keeping this up next year.

That said, good for him. I always liked him here and in fact advocated giving him a chance this season.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
A return of full futures was always the right choice because it either allowed them to focus on a rebuild, which they should be, or it gave them more universally valued assets to flip in a vain attempt to retool and give it another go next year.

I wanted Jake dealt more than anyone, and I am not sad he's gone, but I think Dubas kinda overthought the thing tbh.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't really get the point in complaining about Bunting because there was always going to be some salary coming back to make a Jake trade work.

Looking at Carolina's situation they didn't have a lot of cap dump candidates outside of Bunting.

I do wish Dubas had done better with the prospects but I guess we'll see how that pans out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't really get the point in complaining about Bunting because there was always going to be some salary coming back to make a Jake trade work.

Looking at Carolina's situation they didn't have a lot of cap dump candidates outside of Bunting.

I do wish Dubas had done better with the prospects but I guess we'll see how that pans out.

And the idea was that we would get a bottom six complimentary player, not drop 4+ million on yet another player who needs top six minutes to succeed and flops like a fish in bottom six minutes.

I just don't see it with Bunting. He's a player that needs to play with great players to produce.

Reactions: Zbynek

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
And the idea was that we would get a bottom six complimentary player, not drop 4+ million on yet another player who needs top six minutes to succeed and flops like a fish in bottom six minutes.

I just don't see it with Bunting. He's a player that needs to play with great players to produce.
I'm not gonna judge him one way or the other right now because this season is done and half or more of the roster doesn't give a shit any more.

Let's see how he does next year when everyone cares again.

He'll probably just suck if they keep Sullivan though but so will everyone else so whatever

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
A return of full futures was always the right choice because it either allowed them to focus on a rebuild, which they should be, or it gave them more universally valued assets to flip in a vain attempt to retool and give it another go next year.

I wanted Jake dealt more than anyone, and I am not sad he's gone, but I think Dubas kinda overthought the thing tbh.

I don't know if the inclusion of Bunting helped or hurt the futures return. He was clearly a salary dump by Carolina first and foremost.

It's hard to tell whether Dubas and co even believes the nonsense that the team is just retooling anymore.

I think the mistake was going for 4 B- to C futures assets (with the dude in Finland being the best) vs trying to get 1 B+ assets and a B- (late 1st).

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
God I am so damn happy for Nylander.

Watching a Sullivan ruined player get a fresh start and rock it is fun to see. Lord knows there's nothing fun going on here.

I mean, we gave away Jake for a 7th then paid 2 1sts and Crosby for Bunting, and then send Puustinen to the ECHL while electing Harkins mayor of Pittsburgh.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Crosby's defending effort which led to the second Rags goals was pretty funny and we actually scored some goals, so the game wasn't a total waste of time for me. Then again, I readily admit fast-forwarding most of it and feeling like I missed nothing.

But we won the xG duel again, if there were xG playoff, we would be a lock!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't know if the inclusion of Bunting helped or hurt the futures return. He was clearly a salary dump by Carolina first and foremost.

It's hard to tell whether Dubas and co even believes the nonsense that the team is just retooling anymore.

I think the mistake was going for 4 B- to C futures assets (with the dude in Finland being the best) vs trying to get 1 B+ assets and a B- (late 1st).

The Canes could've added Guentzel without moving cap.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Canes could've added Guentzel without moving cap.

Doesn't mean that Dubas valued him as a positive value asset and that he reduced the rest of the return based on his inclusion per se.

Dubas got 4 assets. I rate them somewhere between a late 1st and a 3rd round pick kinda level. It's disappointing he couldnt land a true top prospect but there is nothing to indicate that is because Bunting was in the deal.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Offensively that was one of the better games of the season, especially the 3rd. Rangers should have scored more with the posts they hit but Quick absolutely stole three or four from the Pens. After the 6-4 goal, it easily could have been 6-6 if he wasn't in postseason 2012 form.

Would have liked to see a save from Jarry on Miller's goal even though it was through bodies. They came out fantastic in the first five minutes and it was only a matter of time until they got the 4th. Having a two goal lead instead of one with all the chances they were giving up was huge.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesn't mean that Dubas valued him as a positive value asset and that he reduced the rest of the return based on his inclusion per se.

Dubas got 4 assets. I rate them somewhere between a late 1st and a 3rd round pick kinda level. It's disappointing he couldnt land a true top prospect but there is nothing to indicate that is because Bunting was in the deal.

Seems like a real stretch.

Dubas specifically called him out as being a win now piece and has a relationship going back to his OHL days with the player.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Because he is worse than Jason Zucker and signed for more money over the last 2 years.

Dude was like -15 on Carolina. How is that possible.
He’s not worse than Zucker. He’s signed for more money for more years because he’s actually decent and isn’t hurt all the time like Zucker. He doesn’t even make 5 mill.

He just didn’t fit the team. What about the rest of his career? Decent defensively, good for 50+ points in the top six, goes to the hard areas.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Seems like a real stretch.

Dubas specifically called him out as being a win now piece and has a relationship going back to his OHL days with the player.

If the inclusion of Bunting prevented us from getting one of their top 3-4 prospects, then I would be angry.

I don't think we will ever know, though.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad