Rumor: Rangers Interested in Ryan Reaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yep. Exactly. Need a guy to fill a “tough guy” role they don’t have. But 5 min of Reeves and then an extra 5 min spread between Zucc/Kreider probably is better than 10 mins of Komarov.

Now you ask “why can’t tbey just do the same thing and give Komarov the 5 mins?” And there’s no answer to give
Or why not just play Beleskey who is probably better than either of them.

Reactions: Off Sides

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Like everyone else depends on term. Give him couple of years. I don't want any of these free agents beyond a couple of years.
We aren't winning anything next year with such a raw young defense.
Plus if Reeves shows something flip him at the deadline for something.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Or why not just play Beleskey who is probably better than either of them.

It’s not about the quality of the player.

Is Beleskey the guy to set that example of professionalism and work ethic that those other guys are? I don’t know. I’ve heard it about it with Reaves and Komarov.

Reactions: egelband

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Someone let me know when Machinehead gets out of his seemingly semi-annual manic depressive episode that he loves to bestow on us

I like MH but we really can't sign Reaves.

He'll be right, but he won't stop. It'll be Glass all over again.

I can't do it. Please don't sign him. He'll be right about everything but please I can't!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I can't do it. Please don't sign him. He'll be right about everything but please I can't!

This is really the best reason I’ve heard for not signing these guys. I don’t want to hear the same circular arguments over and over and over.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Damn right I'll be right and damn right I won't stop.

Definition of insanity with this FO...

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Not knowing Quinn’s system and his emphasis on toughness makes this a tougher read. I assume he’s tougher than creampuff AV. So this is back to where we are.

Don’t forget a guy like Brandon Prust was important in developing our previous core.

Addition:
1 4th line tough guy > 3 4th line tough guys and 1 Stu Bickel under Torts and 1 useless Tanner Glass under AV

Reactions: TheTakedown
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I'd like him here—but not to play on the 4th line. He is only effective if he actually plays. If the thought is he'll make some of the kids feel more comfortable on the ice, he needs to be out there.

If he's going to be a 4th lines, don't bother signing him. Ditto Komorov. This team and where they are have no business throwing UFA dollars at 3/4 liners.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd like him here—but not to play on the 4th line. He is only effective if he actually plays. If the thought is he'll make some of the kids feel more comfortable on the ice, he needs to be out there.

If he's going to be a 4th lines, don't bother signing him. Ditto Komorov. This team and where they are have no business throwing UFA dollars at 3/4 liners.

I worry about the term more than the $'s. The Rangers have tons of cap space--even after Hayes, Skjei etc. They very easily have the money to afford a Tavares if Tavares was interested which apparently he's not. Ideally you don't give any of these guys more than 2 years. Move them at the deadline for other assets if you feel it necessary. I would think there would be a market for Reaves as he moved to Vegas late last year. Any team looking to bulk up and add toughness at the deadline should be interested in him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like the idea of filling out the roster with a Reaves and Komarov. I don’t want to reach for big names expected to carry the team. But building a great locker room would be a reasonable and smart goal of the offseason. And guys who can create some space on the ice. That’s nice too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah. I think this also shows that the team is not planning on just leaving half of the forward spots vacant heading into camp and then filling it out with kids who may not be ready. That's never a good way to do it.

The best way, IMO, is to bring in some bodies that are good character guys who will accept a lesser role if that ends up happening, and let the prospects force their way into the lineup. Then you can move out other guys accordingly.

That's why term is important to me. 2-3 years max for these guys. Let them be good examples and help develop the clubhouse leadership structure. Then when the new wave is ready, these guys roll off the books or we send their expiring contract somewhere.

I'd rather a team with Leo Komarov and Ryan Reaves for a couple years than one forcing kids into the lineup that aren't ready. I don't want to see seven rookies in the opening night lineup.

Reactions: Trxjw

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I understand the need and want for guys who are 'good in the locker room' and a 'veteran presence'. But how come Kreider, Staal, Shattenkirk, Zucc, and Hank aren't enough of a leadership group? Then some of the other guys ready to take the reigns like Zibanejad, Fast, Skjei. Why do we need Reaves for this?

Second point: Okay, if you're going to target these 'character' guys who are 'good in the room', then can we at least target someone who can play the game still, and not a guy who's just going to waste 8 minutes of 5v5 ice every night? Where a successful shift for him is not allowing a goal and throwing a hit?

Can a guy like Kunitz not do everything Reaves can do for you off the ice and then at least still take a shift?

So, at least for me, when I see a rumor like this and get pissed it's because it makes me think that the FO is valuing things incorrectly.

But that's just my take.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Purinton, Orr, Brashear, Boogaard, Bickel, Asham, Glass, McLeod all mentored and protected the youth in the past to the point the Rangers drafted and developed zero top notch players.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand the need and want for guys who are 'good in the locker room' and a 'veteran presence'. But how come Kreider, Staal, Shattenkirk, Zucc, and Hank aren't enough of a leadership group? Then some of the other guys ready to take the reigns like Zibanejad, Fast, Skjei. Why do we need Reaves for this?

Second point: Okay, if you're going to target these 'character' guys who are 'good in the room', then can we at least target someone who can play the game still, and not a guy who's just going to waste 8 minutes of 5v5 ice every night? Where a successful shift for him is not allowing a goal and throwing a hit?

Can a guy like Kunitz not do everything Reaves can do for you off the ice and then at least still take a shift?

So, at least for me, when I see a rumor like this and get pissed it's because it makes me think that the FO is valuing things incorrectly.

But that's just my take.

“Character” is a blanket term, but it’s nowhere near sufficient. If you’re bringing in character guys, you want them to have a personality that works for your room. Perhaps Kunitz doesn’t strike Gorton as the right fit for the room he’s got. It’s never as simple as “let’s go get a character guy.” There’s more to group dynamics than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad