Rumor: Rangers Interested in Ryan Reaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The numbers indicate something different than both fanbases. I go with facts over opinions every time. Kunitz produces and drives play at an NHL level. Reaves and Komarov do not. Those are just the facts and that's what I'm going with.
Yes. The 38 year old that can keep up with the pace of the NHL and had 29 points last year on a stacked Tampa team, he will surely be a great addition to the Rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes. The 38 year old that can keep up with the pace of the NHL and had 29 points last year on a stacked Tampa team, he will surely be a great addition to the Rangers.
Reaves has a career high of 13 points and has literally never played on a non-contender. So yeah, Kunitz is better.

FWIW I'm not exactly clamoring for Kunitz. I'd rather have Schaller who's better than all three put together or just give Lettieri/Fontaine a look for no money.

But if we must check off the box of "veteran who will teach Chytil things and stuff" which I know we must, then Kunitz is the best choice of that group, and probably the cheapest.

Reactions: All Might

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

What does playing on a stacked TB team matter? He didn’t play with their good players. His most common center was Cedric Paquette.

29 points in under 12 mins a game largely with other 4th liners and no pp time is pretty good.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Reaves has a career high of 13 points and has literally never played on a non-contender. So yeah, Kunitz is better.

FWIW I'm not exactly clamoring for Kunitz. I'd rather have Schaller who's better than all three put together or just give Lettieri/Fontaine a look for no money.

But if we must check off the box of "veteran who will teach Chytil things and stuff" which I know we must, then Kunitz is the best choice of that group, and probably the cheapest.

Fair enough. I thought you were.

I would agree that I prefer Kunitz to Reaves. I would probably prefer Komarov to Kunitz but easily prefer both to Reaves.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Damn. I was hoping RR would come to Broadway. Fun player to watch and apparently a good team guy. I guess the Rangers move on to Komarov.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Elliotte Friedman was on the NHL Network. Reeves was going to sign in Calgary before Vegas jumped back in to seal the deal. The Rangers weren't even a finalist for Reeves.
But a rumor reported we were interested so lets all freak out

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Rangers not even able to attract quality goons. If we can't sign a physical forward or 2 then don't sign anybody or sign somebody you know you can trade at the deadline at low cap hit.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
On the way home a little while ago, the NHL Network guy on XM Radio (Scott Laughlin?) said that we offered Reaves a one-year deal for double what he made last season.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Let's bring in a bunch of promising young kids with high skill ceilings and surround them with plugs who give them terrible advice and teach them bad habits. **** it, can they contract out Dan Girardi to give the defensemen a camp on how to "clear" pucks from your own zone. Maybe AV can work with the shooters to practice "quality" over volume.

OR...

Add a quality personality/leadership locker room room guy to generate motivation, fun, and team spirit at minimal cap hit for short term who can play a solid gritty 4th line game with the right guys.

Because that's pretty much what seems to be the unanimous opinion on the dude around the league. Leaders and gel guys aren't just the top players. We lost a lot of that room presence in the last two years. Reaves would be a great add at the right price as we rebuild and have an open 4th line.

Terrible advice and bad habits? You forgot the /s. Or you just don't understand a locker room. That's OK. Many don't. Reaves isn't doing any of that.

And now I read through and saw it isn't happening, so moot point regardless. But my opinion stands. We need some leadership/character guys surrounding the influx of youngsters. Don't have to be tough necessarily, but need the right personality which he apparently has. So hopefully we find someone(s).

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'd consider 2 years 2.8M total overpaying for him though. Actually I'd consider giving him the league minimum on a 1 year deal overpaying too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad