Rumor: Rangers Interested in Ryan Reaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can't say signing Reaves does much for me, but I will say that he's proven capable of taking a regular shift in the NHL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reaves is regularly over 200 hits every season. Consider his limited ice time and that to be credited with a hit you have to be able to skate well enough to track opponents down and deliver that hit within a prescribed space of time---or it's not a hit then--it's a penalty. He had about twice as many hits as any Rangers player had last year with very limited ice and this guy hits hard. Which is to say that for a big guy he motors around pretty well. It's the other areas of his game--his stick skills that are more of an issue. Any case if you have concerns about our younger players being targeted he's a player that can target his opponents--he throws very heavy hits and he might be the best fighter in the league.

I could go two years with this character and IMO there will be teams looking for more physical play come playoff time---so if it doesn't work out we can add other draft picks or prospects when we move him. Practically any UFA vet we sign now we should be ready to move on for more prospects, picks anyway.

Reactions: TheTakedown

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
If the Rangers did not do silly things they would have no reason to want to go back in time and undo them, it's called foresight. I'd even be happy with them not repeating the same mistakes over and over again. May as well just copy and paste the several Glass, Brashear, Asham threads we have had over the illustrious years they spent with the Rangers.

Asham was decent during his stay here.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I love this idea that every 4th liner works hard and is an outstanding teammate.

It's almost like that image has been manufactured to compensate for them.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Isn't the league evolving away from that, with more and more teams having skilled "fourth" lines? More and more, they want that continuous wave type of game management.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Certainly, but I have a hard time believing that all of them bring that.

Well that’s the entire point of what I was saying earlier. That there are variances in this whole character topic, but without talking to these guys, we don’t know exactly how they are or how they fit in.

In regards to Kunitz, wouldn’t it be possible that he doesn’t bring those other things, but that was fine when he was a top-9 or top-6 player, but isn’t now that he’s a 4th liner?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well that’s the entire point of what I was saying earlier. That there are variances in this whole character topic, but without talking to these guys, we don’t know exactly how they are or how they fit in.

In regards to Kunitz, wouldn’t it be possible that he doesn’t bring those other things, but that was fine when he was a top-9 or top-6 player, but isn’t now that he’s a 4th liner?
It's just an ideological difference. What you're saying makes sense, but where do you draw the line and how do you make the decision between impacts off the ice vs impacts on the ice.

Kunitz can still produce points at an efficient rate which is something Reaves has never done. So, where do you decide and how do you decide what is more important? What the guy brings off the ice and how important that is vs the differences in what he'll bring on the ice?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd not hesitate to trade what Reaves brings off the ice for what Kunitz brings off the ice and get that 0.6 points/60 on the ice increase along with it.

Reactions: Machinehead

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's just an ideological difference. What you're saying makes sense, but where do you draw the line and how do you make the decision between impacts off the ice vs impacts on the ice.

Kunitz can still produce points at an efficient rate which is something Reaves has never done. So, where do you decide and how do you decide what is more important? What the guy brings off the ice and how important that is vs the differences in what he'll bring on the ice?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd not hesitate to trade what Reaves brings off the ice for what Kunitz brings off the ice and get that 0.6 points/60 on the ice increase along with it.

You’d never knowingly choose a lesser player for the other impacts they might have. You’re talking about an 8 point individual difference over the course of a year for a 4th liner. That’s absolutely meaningless for a team who views winning as a secondary benefit.

I mean, it’s also possible that the presence of the right veteran in the mix means WAY more than 8 extra points from the youngsters he will impact. Secondary benefits galore.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You’d never knowingly choose a lesser player for the other impacts they might have. You’re talking about an 8 point individual difference over the course of a year for a 4th liner. That’s absolutely meaningless for a team who views winning as a secondary benefit.

I mean, it’s also possible that the presence of the right veteran in the mix means WAY more than 8 extra points from the youngsters he will impact. Secondary benefits galore.
All fair points. Is it really only 8 points, though? Let's say 11 minutes a game, 82 games, 902 minutes, 0.6 points per 60...

It's 9 points.

giphy.gif

(I'm guessing you used 10 minutes instead of 11? :) )

But I mean, 8 points is 8 points. If you use the 6 goals = 1 win formula, that's another win right there. How much is a win worth? Well, find that out for WAR calculations and salary. I don't think we have a great understanding of that, though, so hard to say.

Anyway... yeah.

And also, like you said, does this team even care about wins next year? Answering 'no' to this is too painful for me to do, so I won't. But also, f*** 'em.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I mean this is really as simple as Reaves is an awful hockey player. He’s not the one player in the history of the NHL who is good off the ice. It’s possible to find someone adequate at both. There’s a range between Ryan Reaves/Tanner Glass and...Wayne Simmonds/Milan Lucic in the tough guy with character tier.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
All fair points. Is it really only 8 points, though? Let's say 11 minutes a game, 82 games, 902 minutes, 0.6 points per 60...

It's 9 points.

giphy.gif

(I'm guessing you used 10 minutes instead of 11? :) )

But I mean, 8 points is 8 points. If you use the 6 goals = 1 win formula, that's another win right there. How much is a win worth? Well, find that out for WAR calculations and salary. I don't think we have a great understanding of that, though, so hard to say.

Anyway... yeah.

And also, like you said, does this team even care about wins next year? Answering 'no' to this is too painful for me to do, so I won't. But also, **** 'em.

Yep used 10 minutes :laugh:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Teams also lose because hockey isn’t chess where the luck factor is essentially 0 and the best player/team always wins.

Well sure. But on an individual night, over the course of a 185 day season, with whatever 1200 something games that get played in a season... does it happen 10% of the time that a lesser team wins because they outworked the better team? I’d say yeah, it does.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Of course. Because you know more than both fan bases.
The numbers indicate something different than both fanbases. I go with facts over opinions every time. Kunitz produces and drives play at an NHL level. Reaves and Komarov do not. Those are just the facts and that's what I'm going with.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well sure. But on an individual night, over the course of a 185 day season, with whatever 1200 something games that get played in a season... does it happen 10% of the time that a lesser team wins because they outworked the better team? I’d say yeah, it does.
Ok.

I'll take the 90% of the time the better players win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->