GDT: Round 1 Game 4 Playoffs: Jets @ Avs Apr 28, 2024 – 1:30 PM CT. TV: CBC; Radio: 680 CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm feeling this very strongly.

I've been a die hard, one team fan of the Jets for every second of their existence in the nhl.

I've been through extremely dark times with this team - playing under the shadow of the Oilers, the macoun crosscheck on Hawerchuk, the popcorn incident, losing the team.

However, through all those times the team always did the best they could and it showed.

It has been a real slog watching this team the past 5 years. So much frustration and disappointment.

I can take a team that is less talented, and gives its all but falls short, but I can't accept a team that has no mental fortitude.

For me the worst part is this isn't new, we've seen this collapse under pressure over and over and over.

Thinking a bunch of vets are going to suddenly figure it out is naive at best. I know it will never happen but if bet a guy like Sydney Crosby could straighten these guys out.

Add all of that to my Supreme hate for the nhl and I'm just wondering what's next?

It's a pretty empty feeling honestly.

To me I think things need to change whether we whimper out again or not. We have hooked our wagons to this core so that isn't going to change. But what can change is how rigid this org is on deployment.

The top 6, checking third and energy fourth configuration this org has been hell bent on since 2017 isn't working and hasn't since 2018.

Our stars aren't in their mid 20's any longer and we need to start implementing load management. Not just on Helle but also Scheifele.

This org needs to start focusing much more on developing and integrating their young talent. We probably need another mini youth movement like 2015-2017 to bring in a nucleus that can push up our aging core in much the same way as what happened then. Instead we've been trading for solid but aging out depth pieces past their prime like Tofolli.

I think it's safe to say ok depth pieces aren't going to cut it. We need difference makers and we won't easily fond them on the FA and trade markets.

We also need a coaching staff with a fresh perspective on roster building.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

I've been a die hard, one team fan of the Jets for every second of their existence in the nhl.

I've been through extremely dark times with this team - playing under the shadow of the Oilers, the macoun crosscheck on Hawerchuk, the popcorn incident, losing the team.

However, through all those times the team always did the best they could and it showed.

It has been a real slog watching this team the past 5 years. So much frustration and disappointment.

I can take a team that is less talented, and gives its all but falls short, but I can't accept a team that has no mental fortitude.

For me the worst part is this isn't new, we've seen this collapse under pressure over and over and over.

Thinking a bunch of vets are going to suddenly figure it out is naive at best. I know it will never happen but if bet a guy like Sydney Crosby could straighten these guys out.

Add all of that to my Supreme hate for the nhl and I'm just wondering what's next?

The only realistic scenario I see this team go beyond their"mentally weak" kind of thing whenever it counts is in a couple of years, when we have switched out most of the roster with the new generation. Not everybody will be gone obviously - Scheifele and Hellebuyck will most likely still be here. Probably Morrissey. But other than that, I can see the entire roster outside of Samberg maybe gone. Yes, maybe even Lowry because he is done with the core itself and wants to try and lead another team to a championship as their 3rd line machine.

We'll have a brand new coach in place for his second or third seasonn since this is at least 3 years away - probably more like 4 or 5 even. It is only then I see a realistic chance for this franchise to actually go all the way and win a cup.

Looking back at it now, in hindsight, I feel like we really should have won the Stanley Cup in 17/18 and the only reason we didn't was the fact that Scheifele, Wheeler & Hellebuyck already obviously had the same mental weaknesses and captain Wheeler was part of them not being able to get the collective over the hump when it was do or die time. Look at that nasty roster we had, look at that D-corp we had. Look at the teams that won the Cup since. I think there are plenty similarities and you've got to wonder "how did the 17/18 Jets not even make the finals that year?".

I've been theorising about this before one year ago but I still strongly believe that Buff just going away wasn't only because "he lost the love for the game" or whatever media platitude you'd like to insert. It certainly wasn't because his body was done. So why did he leave the team AND left 14 million USD in contract years on the table? There has to an explanation to it - which he never gave. Not to this day. And I think it will be many more years until he will explain it - because he's going to have to speak about the still active players in a bad way he just can't until they still have active playing careers. That's not Dustin Byfuglien. But I had this feeling for more than a year now that it had something to do with the mental weakness of the core - Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Hellebuyck.

Again it is a pure theory but I think it makes sense on all levels. Why has he never showed up since? Not even for the once a season occasional visit. Why wouldn't you show up at least once, hang out with the guys in the locker room, have a good time, see many friends from many years coming to the rink daily. Because once you leave because you didn't believe in your teammates, that isn't going to happen obviously... It would be very weird and might even create bad statements in the press from those players...

I feel like it is also remarkable that so many long, long time users of HFJets like you, Jet, and plrenty of other like surixon or Duke or ps or myself - we apparently all seem to have very similar opinions and feelings about the state of the situation in presence and looking into the future. We all seem to have the same thoughts about this group. It can't be some weird coincidence that all of us show these matching opinions. There must be truth to this - we're all not THAT stupid collectively, lol.

Now after having said that, watch the team push back randomly today and win the game only to roll over at both home games left and lose it in 7 lol.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
What ever happens in this series next year this team need to start integrating younger players into the lineup and yes that means moving some vets. Will Bones call it a career, who knows but if he comes back it has to be made clear that younger players need to be in the lineup and play valuable minutes

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @Conflicted Habs fan - you have skills sir!!

The Jets do face a mountain to scale, lets see them bring it and show the Avs a proper Jets-style man handling. Of course I would love to see some good old fashioned D in the manner and style to which we are accustomed.

star-trek-nod.gif

Perhaps a few more power plays for the good guys.

1714313635278.jpeg

Controlling Valeri Nichushkin on their inevitable flood of power plays would be a nice bonus.

8dcecb139ad8308377cd51dfaee27ad0.gif

Dancing to the light fantastic while rejoicing in the bath of incandescent light after the scene of intense joy would be ....

200w.gif

Oh ok lol too much enthusiasm.. <ahem> back to the matter at hand. Blast the filthy Av-centric swine where they stand!

Retribution, redemption.

200w.gif

Forward ye mud-water breathing notochord-firing low-event-addicted coelcanths!!

aMZppo6_460s.jpg

Not a wolf fish ... ! - coelacanths I say!!

2qzvI8.gif

6314b6c68f63ee2c79dbe6d1c9712c45.gif

Go Jets!!

Last edited:

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Alright, tonight is a must win. If we lose, the series is essentially over. Time to see what this team is made of (saying that as if the last two games isn’t in fact what this team is made of).

Reactions: imec

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

I hear you.
I’ve been a Jets fan since the beginning too, but I don’t think I’ve ever been less interested in the playoffs than I am this year. It’s weird.
If I had to guess, it’s probably like a self protection type of thing. Set your expectations so low that you won’t be disappointed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
To me I think things need to change whether we whimper out again or not. We have hooked our wagons to this core so that isn't going to change. But what can change is how rigid this org is on deployment.

The top 6, checking third and energy fourth configuration this org has been hell bent on since 2017 isn't working and hasn't since 2018.

Our stars aren't in their mid 20's any longer and we need to start implementing load management. Not just on Helle but also Scheifele.

This org needs to start focusing much more on developing and integrating their young talent. We probably need another mini youth movement like 2015-2017 to bring in a nucleus that can push up our aging core in much the same way as what happened then. Instead we've been trading for solid but aging out depth pieces past their prime like Tofolli.

I think it's safe to say ok depth pieces aren't going to cut it. We need difference makers and we won't easily fond them on the FA and trade markets.

We also need a coaching staff with a fresh perspective on roster building.
I wonder if we're going to have to change the gm to get that.

Chevy seems very traditional and his coaching his reflect that.

Unfortunately Arniel is the anointed one - in not sure he's the progressive coach we need

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Sadly I feel fortunate that I have missed the last two games due to family commitments, and personal development goals.

7 game series can be strange but so far Colorado is putting on a clinic. Last night I watched a totally defeated looking Leafs leadership core getting humiliated in their house, getting booed by their fans. I really hope the Jets don’t continue down that Leafs path and find a way………f*** I would even be happy if we get lucky or if Colorado lays and egg.

Find a way to win, any way, surprise us please Jets. Hockey gods feel free to toss us a bone……..

BTW I will miss today as well since my son and his high school buddies are playing their last game in their rookie (Grade 9 & 10) tourney pool.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if we're going to have to change the gm to get that.

Chevy seems very traditional and his coaching his reflect that.

Unfortunately Arniel is the anointed one - in not sure he's the progressive coach we need

Yeah, we may need a different GM to facilitate that. I guess the silver lining is he's done a youth movement before in 2015. They also seemed more flexible then as well but then Lowry emerged and they have essentially built around hin being 3C.

Reactions: imec

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
e40b62dc525c99b02d834f3c83975b4d.jpg

Look in thy glass and tell the Jet thou viewest
Now is the time that face should embrace thy brother;
Aye, MacK’s face requires repair, if not beaut renewest,
And George may dost’nt beguile the world, the unbless’d bugger.
For where is an Av so fair with unpolished clap bomb
Who brains fear the tillage of thy first game’s result?
Or bloated Avs who hold the last game so fond - will hit the tomb
Of their self-love, to be noted by Lowry with no guilt.
Jets, thou art the mother of our fair gaze and she in thee
Calls back the lovely December of your neutral zone prime;
So thou through windows of thine shining team game shalt see,
Despite of wrinkles within thy fair vets golden time.
And if thou skate well, remember'd fair to be,
Slay Colorado again and thine image lives with we.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Facing real adversity (eg, today is ***real adversity*** ) reveals a lot about a person. Some turtle, capitulate, flop over, weaken further, despair, grieve before the final bell.... and some get better. One game at a time, I think we can do this. Lets go!!

It’s a “opportunity” for this group to show a new more resilient side when facing adversity in the playoffs.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The team needs sustained o-zone pressure to win, Georgiev has rebounded from his Game 1 disaster but he's still vulnerable - that Toffoli goal on Friday was worse than any of the 7 he allowed in Game 1.

They need to want to play playoff hockey. They need to put in an extra effort to clear the puck or get something on net or get in quickly on the forecheck.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Can we start the third with an 8 minute PP? Pretty please?

Guys that fight back on this team:

- Adam Lowry
- Maybe Josh Morrissey

The list can’t be that small if you expect to win in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad