Rumor: Rangers Interested in James van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Would Shatty want to be here knowing he was signing up for a rebuild?

I could be wrong but I get the impression Shatty was coming here unless for some reason we didn't want him. He took a huge risk taking his current contract - if the rumors were true, he could have gotten like $18 million or more out of some of his other offers. If he gets hurt during the next three years, he never sees that money.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Kovalchuk would have had a huge variance of possible outcomes. Like he probably won't but who knows, maybe the dude puts up 70 points. Signing another Shattenkirk where you know he's an above average player doesn't make sense for this team. We're not an above average player away.

Reactions: Ori

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I could be wrong but I get the impression Shatty was coming here unless for some reason we didn't want him. He took a huge risk taking his current contract - if the rumors were true, he could have gotten like $18 million or more out of some of his other offers. If he gets hurt during the next three years, he never sees that money.
Agreed about that, but my point stands... the landscape is very different now.

J VR would leave money and term to play on his chilhood team KNOWING there's no chance of a cup while he's here.

Kirk didn't have that variable in mind (or at least I doubt he did)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't see how he fits into this teams plans. when we are ready to compete he will no doubt be on his down years. I know he's a winger that can score which is what this team needs and will need but timing isn't there. I would also be shocked if he took less than Kane

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Gorton don`t have a limit concerning good veteran NHL players - he dont think like that at all. I`m not sure what to think @nyr2k2 , but it`s a new direction concerning drafting and strategies based around that and build the team in the draft. We can`t win a cup with or without JVR, and it`s not my point, but he help us to get a future pick in some years in the future.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Why pass on free signing when so many want Grabner back, because he cost less $ reasoning or you like the player?
As long we have caps to sign our most important RFA players + UFA, I don`t mind to use our cap for JVR as long he don`t hinder our youth development. And we have Henrik here in goal - I really doubt we end up with the 1st draft pick in 2019. Because henrik steal games alone - he is that good a goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
2 years max. Over pay. 2 years 16 mill
Front load the contract and deal him at the 19’-20’ deadline.

Reactions: Ola

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Man, I remember playing against him. He's a couple years younger than me, but holy hell was he good. Granted, NO one thought he'd be what he is today even with how good he was as a kid. Because he was awkward as a skater, didn't have a ton of balance, and sort of just didn't seem like more than a college player. Then something clicked and he took off.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Let’s say the Islanders were going to be the best team in the NHL for the next few years.

You are in the NHL about to sign a contact after playing nearly a decade not on the Rangers.

You are also now not in high school

Would you pass on a good deal to play with the islanders because “f*** man those whack islanders”, or would your thinking patterns change by then?

Reactions: Rangers_23

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Much like Shatty, if he wants to sign his "second to last" contract with us, then fine. As a pit stop before his retirement deal, it could be a match for both sides.

Also, as everyone else has mentioned, it makes every other forward with trade value even more tradeable.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Man, I remember playing against him. He's a couple years younger than me, but holy hell was he good. Granted, NO one thought he'd be what he is today even with how good he was as a kid. Because he was awkward as a skater, didn't have a ton of balance, and sort of just didn't seem like more than a college player. Then something clicked and he took off.

My hockey buddies and I used to work for a landscaper in Monmouth County and his family's house was on our route. His mom used to chat us up because she knew we played hockey and we'd always kind of laugh her off when she talked about her young son because we all thought we were hot shit back then. This was around 04/05, so I guess he was a freshman at CBA, can't quite remember.

Anyway, just f***ing weird to think that that kid is now contemplating taking a retirement contract from the Rangers. This getting old stuff is brutal.

I'm playing outdoor ball roller hockey in Alexandria, VA nowadays for anyone tracking my illustrious career.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
From what I've heard in the past, he's willing to take less money if it meant the term was long

I'd be absolutely OK with that. Backload the contract towards the latter years in the event he has to be bought out given that there is more term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad