Rumor: Rangers Interested in James van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is kind of faulty logic, because it’s not one or the other, but getting JVR does make moving Hayes a little easier.

If JVR takes the Shatty contract, does it make sense to sign him and deal Hayes?

Or to deal Kreider?

It of course depends on what we could get for Kreider or Hayes, but maybe there is some logic there.

Or, perhaps Zuccarello?

:sarcasm:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I like this player and it please me that he is a Rangers fan, but maybe it`s not an ideal time for us to sign him, but he is a free agent right?
So why not sign him and get some assets back for him in future drafts? :)

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Or, perhaps Zuccarello?

:sarcasm:

Yeah maybe.

JVR is a much longer commitment than Zucc. JVR is 29, Kreider is 29 when he is signing his next contract.

To some extent my thinking was that you are changing one long term commitment for another.

But I am definitely not saying that is something we definitely should do, just a thought.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Think he eventually takes the term and money.

Rangers are going to check in on almost everyone. No reason not to.

Yes spot on - Gorton should talk with this player for sure., and it`s a rare opportunity for us.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If we're rebuilding for the next three years, why are we signing JvR?

giphy.gif
Also why would he sign here? Yeah he grew up a fan... ok.

The landscape has changed. Would Shatty want to be here knowing he was signing up for a rebuild?

Not saying he wouldn't... just posing the question.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like this player and it please me that he is a Rangers fan, but maybe it`s not an ideal time for us to sign him, but he is a free agent right?
So why not sign him and get some assets back for him in future drafts? :)

My augment against the longer term, expensive UFA signings is probably best summed up just by going through these lists

2016 NHL Free Agents Tracker

2015 NHL Free Agents Tracker

2014 NHL Free Agents Tracker

2013 NHL Free Agents Tracker

That is 4 years worth of UFAs there are not many expensive long term contracts there any team would really want to trade for even as soon as two years into them.

It's the oddest market to me, teams are paying the most cap hit the player will likely ever receive while getting a player who is likely to have his best years already behind him.

If we look further into those lists, further down, there are some cheaper contracts that turned to bargains as those players performances exceeded their cap hits. To me, the teams looking at the top of the market are all playing one of the most risky games possible, they should be looking a little further down and even there it is pretty tough to find a long list of "good" signings.

Reactions: Calad and Ori

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah maybe.

JVR is a much longer commitment than Zucc. JVR is 29, Kreider is 29 when he is signing his next contract.

To some extent my thinking was that you are changing one long term commitment for another.

But I am definitely not saying that is something we definitely should do, just a thought.

Without checking their ages, JVR was drafts before Kreider, I doubt they're the same age.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Weren't we gonna rebuild?

I think it`s wrong to think about that in this UNIQUE trade scenario, because he will help Rangers no matter how we sign him or how long, and hopefully without the NMC on it. In fact I`m fine with 2-3 years NMC on it, and then it`s gone for instant we don`t know how long he will keep up, and I don`t know his injury history too well, but he might be a player who can be in NHL for quite a while. :)

effen

Feb 3, 2018
If we're rebuilding for the next three years, why are we signing JvR?

I mean lets not go crazy here, undervalued is undervalued. And if he wants to undervalue himself enough, you take that and run. It's a business.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Market value would be 6x6 for JVR.

Scored 36 goals and played 3rd line minutes in a pure offensive situation. Something like 14:50 a night on a powerhouse PP. I wouldn't mind him if the terms were reasonable, but where does he fit in with the rest of the roster?

Doesn't make much sense considering how weak some of the other spots are. I get the whole 2007 Buffalo style forward line-up... but that backend... that's not going to be in a competitive state come fall imo.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Market value would be 6x6 for JVR.

Scored 36 goals and played 3rd line minutes in a pure offensive situation. Something like 14:50 a night on a powerhouse PP. I wouldn't mind him if the terms were reasonable, but where does he fit in with the rest of the roster?

Doesn't make much sense considering how weak some of the other spots are. I get the whole 2007 Buffalo style forward line-up... but that backend... that's not going to be in a competitive state come fall imo.

The cap hit for me isn't the concern, it's the duration. Guys like him don't seem to age well in the new NHL.

Let's put it this way, JVR has been a good player for Toronto, who has a ton of cap space. They don't want him

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The cap hit for me isn't the concern, it's the duration. Guys like him don't seem to age well in the new NHL.

Let's put it this way, JVR has been a good player for Toronto, who has a ton of cap space. They don't want him

They need to re-sign 3 star forwards, each of whom who will demand more than $6M, one closer to $10M. So it's less want and more economics.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well yeah that`s a lot 6x6 for JVR would change my opinion concerning market value to be more sceptical about it since we are rebuilding after all. I thought we could get him for discount since he was a Rangers fan for 5.5 mil $, couple of years of NMC, and move him for future assets when he is closer to retirement.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Wrong time for us to be signing a guy like JVR. I won't be surprised if we do sign him, though. And I won't be livid. But we should pass.

I could post my own thoughts, but your post encapsulates it completely... so I won't bother :)

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One of my college roommates went to CBA. His younger brother played with JVR. His NYR love is real. Could be another Shattenkirk situation for sure.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Would be interested if he took a hefty discount to play at home, but have zero interest if he's looking to get a big fat retirement deal.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Signing JVR makes no sense for this team. Of course that means they'll do it and it will give me even less confidence in this regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad