cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
haven't read the whole thread,
but he would not be the type of signing Gorton said he was interested

Only makes sense if we traded Zucc,
and i'd rather have Zucc,
and not 4-6 years of contract of the size that we say we don't want to give to Zucc or Hayes

JVR is not a best fit, neither for rebuld or Cap

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Why @cwede - he is a left wing who don`t know anything about the team. And we won`t move Kreider for him - so he is not that special, but he is a free agent. I don`t like the market value for a winger like him, and 6-7 years retirement contract is not even tempting.

I doubt that Gorton will be interested.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
If you can find a fit in a trade including Hayes, you should do it and retain Names or Spoons.
If you can find a fit in (a) trade(s) including Spoons and Names, then you of course keep Hayes.

JVR would make that process even easier, while providing a tradeable asset in two years if he signs a 3-4 year deal.
What makes the possibility even more intriguing is that if you have a 3-4 year deal for JVR, you can add Kreider to the tradeable list. He is a "poor man's Kreider" in a way. I don't want to trade CK, but if we had a short-ish commitment to JVR, then it makes a potential CK trade more palatable.

Because you would currently have a "Kreider-lite" until his "short-ish commitment" is over and then what? Be out of an ACTUAL Kreider AND his lite version? Thats terrible asset management.

Reactions: haveandare

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If JVR signs I’m guessing he got that signed stick

KgQtvZ1_d.jpg

1297770700735_ORIGINAL.jpg

It's my puppy!!!

Reactions: TheGuarantee

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I would hope Gorton is doing his due dilligence - see if JvR will take a Shattenkirk deal to play with his childhood team.

In a nutshell, for me: JvR at four years or leas, very interested. Over four years, no interest.

Reactions: jas and nyr2k2

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I read somewhere that Gorton is not going to sign a big name free agent signing, but I can`t find the source unfortunately - I think it was FB, but I don`t have it as reliable source so anything can happen I guess. :)

Last edited:

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
Don't mind it at all with the cap space we have available. 3-4 years at 5-6 mill will probably be the ballpark . Also with Zuc, Hayes and Kreider all possibly on the trade block, it wouldn't hurt to have JVR in the top 6 with Chytil, Andersson and Kravtsov in the mix.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Manage the cap. A good deal today might look awful tomorrow. The cap is a “hard” limit. Fiscally responsible teams set “soft” limits / margins of error to re-sign players down the line, for unexpectedly available (via trade or otherwise) players, etc.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
JVR is a LW, Zucc is a RW. Not sure why he'd make Zucc expendable. Do you mean in terms of having a veteran on the roster? I'd say signing JVR makes Vesey expendable. Although I'd say not signing JVR makes Vesey expendable. Still Quinn could do some magic with Vesey but I digress.

I'm in the "good terms" boat. He's 29. He's probably looking for 6 year term which is too long for me. He plays more of a power forward game which usually becomes less effective in the latter parts of one's career unless they can have Jagr-like fitness ethics (I mean no gf as long as I play hockey is pretty hardcore!) Couture is the same age and is reportedly getting 8x8 (which I find kinda crazy - signed for $8M till he's 37!). I think JVR must see that sort of deal and expect something similar. Honestly, Couture and JVR are pretty similar statistically speaking. Still can't believe Couture got such a contract.

The other thing to consider is what if our young players all turn into super stars? Where is the cap to resign them to big extensions? I'm not expecting any big break outs but just emphasizing that short term contracts that coincide with those young players hitting their RFA offseasons (2021) is a really important consideration long term.

TLDR: I expect JVR to be too expensive both in AAV and term length so pass.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Because you would currently have a "Kreider-lite" until his "short-ish commitment" is over and then what? Be out of an ACTUAL Kreider AND his lite version? Thats terrible asset management.

Kreider would demand a haul. That haul is the "and then what."

You are gaining assets in exchange for the downgrade at 1LW. That's textbook asset management.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
doesn't seem like a right move for the rebuild, unless he understands and is willing to go with the process and signs only for 1 or 2 years without any NTC (or maybe a limited one) allowing us to move him for assets when the time is right.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I imagine JVR wants some term, though. So it's likely moot.

I like the prospect of locking CK in as a fixture for the rebuild when all is said and done, anyway.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We'll see what tomorrow or the next few days brings. Shattenkirk did his thing last year. JVR can fulfill a childhood dream (that's if the Rangers make an offer) or he can just go for the best deal. He has to make his own decisions what he wants to do most.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We'll see what tomorrow or the next few days brings. Shattenkirk did his thing last year. JVR can fulfill a childhood dream (that's if the Rangers make an offer) or he can just go for the best deal. He has to make his own decisions what he wants to do most.

Rangers were not rebuilding when they signed Shattenkirk. So if JVR wants to fulfill his dream 2 years is the max that Rangers should give him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I mean what did you think he'd get? This isn't 2005. Logan Couture just got 8M a year for 8 years. He has 59-54-133 the last two years. JVR has 65-51-136 since then. They're the same age. Evander Kane's numbers are even worse he got 7M for 7 years (2 years younger).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad