Rumor: Rangers Interested in James van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i'm not buying the clickbait media linking us to every free agent out there. let me know when JG actually meets with one of these guys agents

Reactions: jas

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My hockey buddies and I used to work for a landscaper in Monmouth County and his family's house was on our route. His mom used to chat us up because she knew we played hockey and we'd always kind of laugh her off when she talked about her young son because we all thought we were hot **** back then. This was around 04/05, so I guess he was a freshman at CBA, can't quite remember.

Anyway, just ****ing weird to think that that kid is now contemplating taking a retirement contract from the Rangers. This getting old stuff is brutal.

I'm playing outdoor ball roller hockey in Alexandria, VA nowadays for anyone tracking my illustrious career.

Literally no one in the Monmouth county area who played hockey ever saw JVR as some legit NHL prospect until he somehow came out of nowhere at CBA. Shit was wild how quickly he became a legit prospect.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
2 years max. Over pay. 2 years 16 mill
Front load the contract and deal him at the 19’-20’ deadline.

Could be an option, but it might prevent Gorts from taking on bad contracts so you gotta weigh the pros and cons against each other.

Reactions: Elliman

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We have cap space. Of course you sign the asset. He just costs cap space and can be turned into picks if need be.

It's actually very simple. Sign him if you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't know why, but JVR never really did anything for me.
Yeah. He’s a complementary player. Good but not worth big bucks. He’s a 2-3C tweener id say. Like Hayes. I guess if they trade Hayes they could plug in JvR in his place.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also why would he sign here? Yeah he grew up a fan... ok.

The landscape has changed. Would Shatty want to be here knowing he was signing up for a rebuild?

Not saying he wouldn't... just posing the question.
Fair question but I think the understanding - and it’s fair - is that the Rangers will not be bad for long. One more bad year, max.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If the Rangers added JVR and assets from a Zucc trade this week coming, I dont think I would be to mad at that.

I've felt this way for a while now, but aside from Nash and on occasion Kreider, this team lacks finish. If you can add a legit 30 goal guy rebuilding or not, so long as its reasonable, you take a long hard look at that.

I'd hate to pair a Chytil with a like minded playmaker. I'd very much like to have a shooter on the 2nd line behind Kreider.

OR

Put both Chytil and JVR on Hayes flanks.

This also partly why I wanted Wahlstrom.

I think we lack and need more guys that have a finishers touch

Reactions: TheTakedown and jas

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dont really see it making sense but wouldnt hate it either.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
How does JVR make Hayes expendable? Different positions, different skill sets. I'm not following this logic.

I also still don't understand why we're trading Hayes. We're allowed to have guys on the roster that are older than 25 who will make more than $3M. This isn't a fire sale.

The question is, do the Rangers want to commit $5.5 million per for five years to Kevin Hayes? I’m not sure I would, especially where the Rangers are right now.

Reactions: broadwayblue

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
If you can find a fit in a trade including Hayes, you should do it and retain Names or Spoons.
If you can find a fit in (a) trade(s) including Spoons and Names, then you of course keep Hayes.

JVR would make that process even easier, while providing a tradeable asset in two years if he signs a 3-4 year deal.
What makes the possibility even more intriguing is that if you have a 3-4 year deal for JVR, you can add Kreider to the tradeable list. He is a "poor man's Kreider" in a way. I don't want to trade CK, but if we had a short-ish commitment to JVR, then it makes a potential CK trade more palatable.

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The question is, do the Rangers want to commit $5.5 million per for five years to Kevin Hayes? I’m not sure I would, especially where the Rangers are right now.
I would in a heartbeat. Good player, seems to have improved his game, would be 31 at the end of the deal, can help through the rebuild and also still be an effective player at the end of it. Unless you're getting back a prospect that you're damn sure will be as good or better than him in a year or two, I fail to see the logic in moving him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Guy is 29 gonna wanna break the bank on term and dollars. Please no. I have no doubt he will score 30 next year, 30 the year after then when we are ready to start really competing his decline will start

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Why not? Our C depth is already bad, and he'd provide insulation to shelter Chytil or Lias this season or next. He'll still be a productive NHLer in two years, so then you can shift him back to his matchup role like he was in this season. Plus, he's becoming one of the best PKers around the league.

The team will still be bad with him next season, and based on how we look vs. our division, we're set up to miss the playoffs anyways. They'll be another lotto team, even with Hayes.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If the Rangers could get JVR on a Shattenkirk-type deal, which allows them to move Zuccarello in the off-season for a futures package, I wouldn’t object to it.

That's pretty big actually. Zuccarello is 31, JVR just turned 29. If you signed JVR to a 4 year deal worth $6M per, then trade Zuccarello, you'd be selling Zuccarello at a term-advantage for the team acquiring him. You'd reel in a 1st, prospect, and a roster player at the least. Fast forward to the following season (2019-20), you only have 3 years left on JVR's contract.

It's a lot smaller than everyone thinks.

Here's the thing. JVR is 29, all of this depends on if he thinks he can get another contract in his early-to-mid 30s... If he takes a 4 year deal and then gets something similar to the Marleau and Kovalchuk deals, then he might be game, but it's all a gamble. If you're looking at this from his perspective, the guy is 29, he probably wants a 6-7 year deal to retire off of. That would take him to 35-36

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Much like Shatty, if he wants to sign his "second to last" contract with us, then fine. As a pit stop before his retirement deal, it could be a match for both sides.

Also, as everyone else has mentioned, it makes every other forward with trade value even more tradeable.

It really would be the best way to use the cap space that we have to allow for more futures coming in.

Sign JVR, trade Zuccarello for assets.

Hell, even these "character guys" that they want to sign as UFA's, they will have value at the deadline. Maybe nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd, but guys like Palmieri were acquired with 2nd rounders. Remember that Reaves and a 4th brought back Brassard for the Penguins this past deadline. That's a hell of a haul considering a "4th liner" went the other way. I know there were other parts to this trade, but that's crazy when you think about it

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
If JVR signs I’m guessing he got that signed stick

KgQtvZ1_d.jpg

Reactions: Bozle

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
How does JVR make Hayes expendable? Different positions, different skill sets. I'm not following this logic.

I also still don't understand why we're trading Hayes. We're allowed to have guys on the roster that are older than 25 who will make more than $3M. This isn't a fire sale.

Older than 25? Absolutely. Hayes is 26 though. He's practically a corpse.

Jokes aside, I agree that JvR in no way makes Hayes expendable. However, I'm not opposed to moving Hayes if the return is right.

Reactions: NewYorkNick and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad