Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Gallant said that Goodrow is "coming along good" if you listen to the clip. Sounds good to me.

I really like what Motte adds to that 3rd line. I think we could even easily see Goodrow replace Chytil there for minutes.

Kreider Zib Vatrano
Panarin Strome Copp
Laf Goodrow Motte
I know he did have a broken ankle but hopefully the degree of fracture wasn't as bad as it could have been. Sometimes it's just a hairline break. **Crossing fingers**

As long as the team isn't over confident we're fine.
GG is too good a coach to let them get overconfident.

We also were 3-1 against the Pens in the regular season and allowed 4 goals total and barely beat them in the playoffs allowing like 4 goals A GAME. The playoffs are different animal. Carolina is finding that out right now as we speak.
We owned Tampa during this season. No way will they be easy in the next round IF we make it (not getting ahead of myself at all).

Reactions: Unpredictable1

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I like the optimism but jeez you're getting quite a bit ahead of yourself.
That's kinda the point. With making any future prediction that is kinda built into it. And it's not that far fetched under the premise we get by the Canes. Home ice advantage will be HUGE!

As SnowBlind pointed out below, the Pens gave us all we could handle in the first round. But what he fails to mention, is that we got it done in game 7 on home ice. Yes, that game went to OT and Yes we were on the PP, and so Yes we might have been a bit fortunate. But you can't discount what an impact our home crowd has on us regardless.
Uhm, Tampa is home resting while our guys are out here getting beat up some more. Don't count your chickens.
Let them rest and pray the Canes beat us. LOL!

If we get by the Canes, having to beat them at home, where they haven't lost, I believe we will have all the momentum and confidence we will need to knock off the defending Champs, with the added benefit of home ice and playing extremely well at the Garden.
Tampa right now looks primed for a 3pete. Rangers will need to be at the very top of their game if they even want to have a chance against them. Not ruling out the possibility that they can win, but I would say the Lightning would be the clear favorites in that series.
Maybe so, but home ice for us is HUGE, no matter the opponent. We are extremely tough at home. I believe it will pay big dividends next series.

Of course, Tampa won't be easy. Kucherov, Stamkos and company are world class. But if it comes down to a game 7 at the Garden, I doubt very much we will be denied.
We also were 3-1 against the Pens in the regular season and allowed 4 goals total and barely beat them in the playoffs allowing like 4 goals A GAME. The playoffs are different animal. Carolina is finding that out right now as we speak.
See above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larrybiv and Ola

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
That's kinda the point. With making any future prediction that is kinda built into it. And it's not that far fetched under the premise we get by the Canes. Home ice advantage will be HUGE!

As SnowBlind pointed out below, the Pens gave us all we could handle in the first round. But what he fails to mention, is that we got it done in game 7 on home ice. Yes, that game went to OT and Yes we were on the PP, and so Yes we might have been a bit fortunate. But you can't discount what an impact our home crowd has on us regardless.

Let them rest and pray the Canes beat us. LOL!

If we get by the Canes, having to beat them at home, where they haven't lost, I believe we will have all the momentum and confidence we will need to knock off the defending Champs, with the added benefit of home ice and playing extremely well at the Garden.

Maybe so, but home ice for us is HUGE, no matter the opponent. We are extremely tough at home. I believe it will pay big dividends next series.

Of course, Tampa won't be easy. Kucherov, Stamkos and company are world class. But if it comes down to a game 7 at the Garden, I doubt very much we will be denied.

See above.
If we were to beat Carolina Hurricanes (a big if, but certainly possible) Tampa will be the ultimate benchmark for this team. They're well rested, healthy, battle tested champions, and just dismantled the president's trophy winners with a sweep. They're the gold standard of an elite hockey team by every single objective measure and they have the best goalie we will have faced in these playoffs.

Even if the Rangers lose to them (a likely scenario), it's going to provide incredible insight to the front office to see exactly how far away we are from being contenders.

And if they actually win the ECF, I wouldn't even know what to think honestly. I'd be beyond thrilled and shocked.

Then again, Islanders were only a goal away from beating them last year and are kind of in shambles now. So who really knows?

To me, beating Pittsburgh was the progress and improvement I was hoping to see this year - Rangers are, at this point, fully surpassing my expectations for the season in a good and convincing way.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If we were to beat Carolina Hurricanes (a big if, but certainly possible) Tampa will be the ultimate benchmark for this team. They're well rested, healthy, battle tested champions, and just dismantled the president's trophy winners with a sweep. They're the gold standard of an elite hockey team by every single objective measure and they have the best goalie we will have faced in these playoffs.

Even if the Rangers lose to them (a likely scenario), it's going to provide incredible insight to the front office to see exactly how far away we are from being contenders.

And if they actually win the ECF, I wouldn't even know what to think honestly. I'd be beyond thrilled and shocked.

Then again, Islanders were only a goal away from beating them last year and are kind of in shambles now. So who really knows?

To me, beating Pittsburgh was the progress and improvement I was hoping to see this year - Rangers are, at this point, fully surpassing my expectations for the season in a good and convincing way.
The Rangers have already far surpassed any pre-season hoped-for accomplishments.

We're in Gravyland, now.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I’m not writing what I would do, I am guessing what we may see.

Chytil is never ever playing over Strome on that line right now, debating about it is yelling at a wall because it won’t be reality these playoffs.

I also think that top 9 is what we would see late in games, regardless if Goodrow and/or Motte started on the 4th line. I’d also prefer that 3rd line late in games. No problem with Chytil getting those minutes for a majority of game though.
YEAH MAN, The only way our kids are going to become beasts in the PO's is by gathering some serious rootin' tootin', nail biting (ours, not theirs) minute eating, game play experience.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sure he's skating. But is he anywhere close to game shape? Keep in mind, he was in a boot for like 6 months. Couldn't run, do cardio, or hit the weights in that time.
Run, cardio, weights?
Run.....what do they need to run for, they skate.
cardio......oh yeah, I've heard of that
weights.....lifting 6-12 beers count?

I'm from the Phil Esposito hockey school.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Lindy

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I am listening to the Jeff Marek show with Elliotte Friedman. Jeffy said someone sent him a note or he was talking to someone about Carolina and Calgary having trouble with Shesterkin and Smith because they can handle the puck. Carolina and Calgary can't get their forecheck going. Yesterday, Elliotte said someone told him Carolina is having trouble with the Rangers big D. Trouba and Lindgren are physical D. Miller is long and tall. Some of the smaller Canes forwards have been quiet. They can't get their forecheck and pressure game going.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Is it me or does Carolina seem defeated?
Lets see what happens tonight.

if the Rangers withstand the first 10 minutes, get a lead early and continue to play a more physical style and Igor continues to stonewall them, the Canes may start gripping the sticks a little tighter, may start overpassing and may get frustrated (take unnecessary penalties)

Rangers have to play stiff, force the Canes to take penalties and make the opportunities count.

If the Rangers win tonight, this could end in 6

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I am listening to the Jeff Marek show with Elliotte Friedman. Jeffy said someone sent him a note or he was talking to someone about Carolina and Calgary having trouble with Shesterkin and Smith because they can handle the puck. Carolina and Calgary can't get their forecheck going. Yesterday, Elliotte said someone told him Carolina is having trouble with the Rangers big D. Trouba and Lindgren are physical D. Miller is long and tall. Some of the smaller Canes forwards have been quiet. They can't get their forecheck and pressure game going.
Carolina really thrives on slot chances and rebounds and Trouba and Miller just.......being long and tall deny a lot of them.

Always puzzled me when people say "shoot for rebounds and crash the net/slot" as if that's something you can just do. That's its own kind of skill. But since it's not creative it's just something everyone should be able to do.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Knowing that we exceeded all expectations this year, I am still not going to be happy if/when we get bumped out of the playoffs

Carolina is beatable.
Tampa is beatable

I would be absolutely PO'd if we lose to either team.

While I don't trust them fully (NYR's) I do know they have the ability to play very good hockey. Good enough to beat the above two teams.

I hope they continue playing smart hockey

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Carolina really thrives on slot chances and rebounds and Trouba and Miller just.......being long and tall deny a lot of them.

Always puzzled me when people say "shoot for rebounds and crash the net/slot" as if that's something you can just do. That's its own kind of skill. But since it's not creative it's just something everyone should be able to do.
It is though

keep the puck low so that the rebounds come off a goalies pads. It happens an awful lot.

the issue that we have is that most of our "skilled" guys are not net front presences outside of CK so it's not as simple as it should be, at least not for the NYR's. And even CK is more of a net front guy when on the PP, at ES not so much.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Miller has been a eraser all playoffs. Igor’s stick work limits the amount of hits our guys are taking. On the flip side, we may not be the fastest team (Chytil & Motte help) but most everyone is heavy and willing to hit. It took a toll on PIT’s D as that series went on and it’s happening to the Canes D now

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It is though

keep the puck low so that the rebounds come off a goalies pads. It happens an awful lot.

the issue that we have is that most of our "skilled" guys are not net front presences outside of CK so it's not as simple as it should be, at least not for the NYR's. And even CK is more of a net front guy when on the PP, at ES not so much.
not really imo.

it takes accuracy and a hard, quick shot to accurately hit a goalie in the pads in such a way that you can recover the puck, the slot is the most covered area of the ice with at least two defenders within it at all times, you have to make sure you don't overload the slot so you can recover the puck without needing your D to do a risky pinch and have it turned the other way, and low, barely off the ice shots are probably the hardest to aim. no shot is more likely to be blocked than a barely-off-the-ice shot.

I won't argue that the Rangers actually are great at scoring from these difficult areas but I don't think it's something you just do, it takes speed, positioning, and skill and even then it's not always worth it.

also, for what it's worth, Raantta has had really good rebound control to this point. You also get goalies like Shesty who are giving up a lot of rebounds but they're strategically kicked out to the wings for an easy clear.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
They haven't set a start time for game 6 yet, right? Can't imagine it would be anything other than 7:00 or 8:00. Going to be taking Amtrak down from Albany/Rensselaer and trying to plan accordingly.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
They haven't set a start time for game 6 yet, right? Can't imagine it would be anything other than 7:00 or 8:00. Going to be taking Amtrak down from Albany/Rensselaer and trying to plan accordingly.
7pm if calgary forces a game 6 8pm if rangers-canes are the only game

Reactions: Krams

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007

I totally agree with your sentiment. but I wouldn't sell this team short. This year, there were a lot of great teams that made the playoffs. And we were one of them. I think we all agreed, there were no easy outs, coming in this years playoffs. So I can understand the hype one might have of TB sweeping FLA. But that is now water under the bridge. and don't forget it took them 7 games to get by Toronto. So in a short series, you never know what might happen. Perhaps FLA didn't match up well against the Bolts.

I do know the Rangers match up well against them. Better than they would the Canes or Colorado or Calgary.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself. We still have our hands full with the Canes. But I think it is a great incentive, that if we do win this series, we will have home ice in the next.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
If the oilers clinch tonight, it will be 8:00. If they do not, it will be 7:00.

Reactions: Krams
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad