Post-Game Talk: Avs 6 - Jets 3, Avs win Series 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
My point was obvious, or at least I thought it was

Chevy made the best decisions he could with the information ha had at the time - which is all he could have done. Both this board and the media agreed that he did a good job

Let's say (for a second) that he made no moves and we limped into the playoffs and got beat in 5 games... would THAT have been the right move?

So you can see that it a no-win for him. The same way a ref watches something happen on the ice that could be a penalty - half the people think he's wrong if he makes the call, and rhe other half thinks he's wrong if he doesn't.

I guess there will be 31 GM vacancies come June because only one GM did it "right"
I've already pointed out that making no moves is not the answer -
Chevy wins when he makes good decisions - it doesn't matter what you, I or the media think of those moves when they are made - it really comes down to how well they worked.
I'm not here to lay this all at the feet of Chevy - it's more than that - but he's open for criticism like anyone who makes important decisions.
Hyperbole isn't necessary - I understand the point you are making.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with everything except the Maurice bit. I’m old enough to remember eventual 30g rookie Connor cut out of training camp, Buff getting permanently moved to forward - and it was only several injuries that forced him to change course on both. Matt Hendricks above Perresult in the playoffs Blake Wheeler playing out his 34 and 35 year old seasons getting 23 mins a game while the locker room burns and Laine playing the right point on PP2 and then trying to turn him into a power forward.

On balance, there is a zero percent chance Paul Maurice coaches this roster to 50 plus wins. Bones was completely outcoached and his blind spots were a huge factor in losing the series. His stubbornness on Perfetti, Pionk getting top 4 mins and sticking with 81-55-13 is all-world stupid.

Two brilliant bits of coaching by Maurice head your list of criticisms.

Cutting Connor out of TC that year was exactly what he needed. He had gone through TC showing an entitled attitude and no effort. Getting sent down was the kick in the ass that Connor needed. He responded well and became a perennial 30+ goal scorer.

It was not Maurice who moved Buff to F. Maurice continued it though until Buff agreed to play some defence. Worked brilliantly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Cutting Connor out of TC that year was exactly what he needed. He had gone through TC showing an entitled attitude and no effort. Getting sent down was the kick in the ass that Connor needed. He responded well and became a perennial 30+ goal scorer.

It was not Maurice who moved Buff to F. Maurice continued it though until Buff agreed to play some defence. Worked brilliantly.

Yeah, Maurice was very good for us for 5 years. He just got stale and stuck around a couple years too long.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've had a lingering hunch that it goes up a rung higher than Cheveldayoff, but admittedly, that's only speculation on my part.

If it happened to be the truth, it would mean that our GM was also beholden to the individual I'm thinking of. Which may or may not handicap certain decisions he was able to make, resulting in a trickle-down effect on the entire organization.

I agree. I mean guys like Arniel, Bones etc have no connection to Chevy, but they do to a certain owner.

Reactions: Cypruss and Ponds

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's possible that they move on from one of Apples and A I maybe both

Possible - but I don't think it is likely.

Apples is good value in the bottom 6. AI not so much but the org kept treating him like he was better than he is all season. A big chunk of his offence came very early in the season. Then he went dry for what must have been close to 40 games. His defensive play remained strong though so I think they hang on to him too.

I really expect little change up front. I think they try to re-sign Monahan. If he signs we have 12 F for next year plus some decent depth guys in AJF and Tony. If Monahan walks we have 11 F and a hole at 2C. Either way, very little room for change.

The D corps is a little different story. At least 1 and probably 2 top 4 D look like walking. Heinola finally gets his shot. But if both Dillon and DeMelo walk there is another empty spot. There would be room for Miller but I can't see him staying after the way he was used here.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I was away and missed our one and only W...attended the 2 Tuesday games.

Not many bright spots for me...

JoMo is a stud...he is not Makar, but definitely in the next tier of high end D.

Soul Bear has a wonderful set of pipes...he blows any of the other girls out of the water. Hoosli are still the ultimate though.

Oh yeh, one other thing:

Winnipeg still has an abundance of beautiful women. Walking around the concourse last night and sheesh...
I worked on a project several years back with a group of consultants from Vancouver who traveled extensively through Canada and USA. They all said Winnipeg took a backseat to no one when it came to food and beautiful girls. Can't say I disagree on either front...

Thanks to all who contribute...lotsa great hockey minds on here!

Special nod to @macmaroon for your mastery of the Game Day Thread, @kanadalainen for the wonderful prose, and @Jets 31 for keeping it light and the good tunes!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
After watching this series ... 2 things I noticed.
Jets only have one top 4 defensemen ... I'm sorry but if you get knocked off the puck numerous times or can't carry the puck out of the DZ your are not a top 4.
People blaming Bones for wrong lineups, forwards not scoring, Hellebuyck not a playoff goalie are not watching and understanding the game.
Bones coached this team to 110 points, Hellebuyck will probably win the Vezina and you think they are the problem?
To be a top 4 defensemen you need to be able to either carry the puck out of the DZ or strong enough to control the board battles and front of your net.
The second thing was the officiating ... pathetic. Jets did not lose the series because of the refs but they could have won a game or two if they got the calls or non-calls like the Avs. I can point out numerous non-calls but because the games ended with lopsided scores nobody questions it.
Remember last year Helly with no mask laying on the ice and play continued until the Stars scored?
Why was the play blown dead when the Jets had the puck and Parise laying on the ice?
Clean hit on Makar lets delay the game and review the hit so Makar can catch his breathe.
How many penalties were missed on the Jets?
The Jets should have had three 5 on 3 PPs in the last 2 games and its weird why the highsticking to the face non-calls on the Jets were missed 2 games in arow.
The interference the Avs were getting away was BS too. See picture below Samberg never even touch the puck on the second goal he was knocked into the boards and the puck ended in the back of the net after that and the ref is there watching so he didn't miss the play.
I did a quick search I could be one off but of all the teams in the playoffs Jets got the least amount of PPs.
No question the Avs are the better team but in order for the Jets to become a true SC contender they need to revamp that defense. Demelo and Pionk would be bottom six or PB on most SC contenders.
Seriously this was a great season considering most thought the Jets were in a rebuilding or retooling mode ... the future does look bright. GJG
IMG_4140.jpeg

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some Odds and Sods

Jets played hard.....but no trophies for that.
Their stars vs ours..........no contest.
Helly was victimized...but not enough stops.
D needs a overhauling/retooling/re-alignment.
Avs got people to the net....whenever they pleased.
Got killed on their screen shots and tip in's.
You can't have Pionk in your D top 4. Ever.
JM needs help.....another puck mover/PP guy would be nice.
We have 3-4 keepers on D.....indifferent to the rest
Not enough shots, and guys crashing their net.
Either find a proper fit for Nik.....or move him.
Overall, more speed, please......roster too slow.
Instead, of a young guy up, next year.....2 or 3.
Special teams, still a key weakness.
Coaching decisions became a weakness.
Ran out of gin, final weakness.

But the fine people on this board are a real strength, for this team. In fair weather or foul

ummmm .... pick one. :laugh:
Nik is one of the fastest players in the league. He is also our most talented F, if not our best.

That said, I actually agree with both of those contradictory statements. Yes, we need more speed. But if they can't utilize Nik properly, it is time to move on. He will be in his pending UFA season. Will they even be able to extend him? I know I wouldn't extend here if I was him. No idea how he feels about it.

Coaching decisions became the biggest, or at least most obvious weakness.

Reactions: Team Bring It

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

The magic of Paul Maurice was always his ability into spin every colossal mistake as a 3D chess victory. He also has a special talent for coaching all-star teams to mid results.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The magic of Paul Maurice was always his ability into spin every colossal mistake as a 3D chess victory. He also has a special talent for coaching all-star teams to mid results.

Nevertheless, those 2 moves were the correct ones. Possibly the 2 best moves of his entire career. Certainly the 2 best of his time in Wpg. Too bad he did not treat a few other players with the same firmness.

Yeah, Maurice was very good for us for 5 years. He just got stale and stuck around a couple years too long.

Not sure of how many years belong on each side of the ledger. I still suspect he lost the plot in the 19 season somewhere and never got it back.

Reactions: surixon

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

A Stanley Cup final then a top 5 finish in the league is hardly "mid"

He also took Carolina to the Eastern Conference finals and a Stanley Cup final on separate occasions. And a certain team to the Western Conference finals. He's knocked on the door a few times, could very well step through it this year.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
A Stanley Cup final then a top 5 finish in the league is hardly "mid"
The Panthers team that won the Presidents Trophy the year before Maurice got there needed Buddy Robinson from the Chicago Blackhawks to fluke out a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 82 to even make the playoffs.

Maurice was 1000% getting fired if not for Buddy Robinson.

But thats not the only example. See 2018 and 2019 Jets. 2023 Panthers got blown out in the Finals Losingest coach in history. I could go on.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
ummmm .... pick one. :laugh:
Nik is one of the fastest players in the league. He is also our most talented F, if not our best.

That said, I actually agree with both of those contradictory statements. Yes, we need more speed. But if they can't utilize Nik properly, it is time to move on. He will be in his pending UFA season. Will they even be able to extend him? I know I wouldn't extend here if I was him. No idea how he feels about it.

Coaching decisions became the biggest, or at least most obvious weakness.
It is mind-boggling Ehlers has the tools to be great but some how it does not come through in the playoffs. Based off playoff performance I think they need to move him to get a top RHD if they can't use Connor for to get RHD. This team would get a lot further in the playoffs with a top RHD than a top winger.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We re sign 55 and 37 and that's what they do in the playoffs?

They can both f*** right off afaic

We absolutely know that it won't happen, but I would have both on the trade block before those new contracts even kick in. I hate saying that, especially regarding Helle. But it doesn't look like either is a PO performer after this.

Reactions: Jet

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Panthers team that won the Presidents Trophy the year before Maurice got there needed Buddy Robinson from the Chicago Blackhawks to fluke out a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 82 to even make the playoffs.

Maurice was 1000% getting fired if not for Buddy Robinson.

But thats not the only example. See 2018 and 2019 Jets. 2023 Panthers got blown out in the Finals Losingest coach in history. I could go on.

Pointing out teams that didn't win doesn't make them "mid". By your definition, all the years the Blackhawks and Penguins didn't win, they were "mid". Losing in the Stanley Cup finals isn't "mid"

He also took Carolina to the Eastern Conference finals and a Stanley Cup final on separate occasions. And a certain team to the Western Conference finals. He's knocked on the door a few times, could very well step through it this year.
That's all "mid" lol

Reactions: Ponds

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dont even know what to say about this team. You go from a legendary 3 goals or less allowed streak to a record setting first team to allow 5 goals or more against in the first 5 games of a playoff series. Its absolutely dumbfounding. I have no idea where you go from here with this core. They are beyond frustrating. I dont think ive ever seen another playoff series where a team was so completely and relentlessly caved in and dominated night after night. It was truly embarrassing. Im speechless.

The contrasts are hard to absorb. No, they are way beyond hard. Unfathomable, dumbfounding, inexplicable.

I have nothing to offer in the way of explanation, nor really any kind of plan to go forward from here beyond the usual 'fire everybody, trade everybody'.

The one thing I am certain of is that Bones needs to go. That's it. That's my plan.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To be fair, Cole looked pretty good there last night until Bowness pulled a Bowness and shuffled things again.
perhaps.
that was not really the context of the post. Tofolli scored last night and didn't get buried on the chance-share or analytics, unlike Perfetti.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Pointing out teams that didn't win doesn't make them "mid". By your definition, all the years the Blackhawks and Penguins didn't win, they were "mid". Losing in the Stanley Cup finals isn't "mid"

That's all "mid" lol

You didn't watch the video or read my post. The teams weren't mid. They were all star rosters. It was Paul Maurice that made them "mid" and he was one Buddy Robinson goal in a game his team wasn't invovled in from getting fired and his only coaching offers ever coming in from Siberia.

:shakehead

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad