Speculation: Rangers cap crunch

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Lundqvist carried the team on his back the first part of the year, which was unusual since he’s usually a slow starter. He’s was his old Vezina caliber self.

Quinn overplayed the **** out of him because he’s a rookie coach and he wanted to win.

By the midway point if the season the wheels had fallen off and so did Lundqvists play.

He’s not done as a hockey player. But the reality of him playing on a rebuilding team definitely impacted his play.
Thanks for the outline, much appreciated. :)

What, if anything, do you think Rangers would want in a trade, bearing in mind his $8.5m hit? Would they just be happy to get rid of his cap if they moved him? Something like this perhaps:

Lundqvist (12.5% retention @7.45m) for Mark Barberio ($1.45m).
Avs will have ~$6m capspace this season (after Rantanen and Kamenev get resigned), so retention and Barberio's contract going makes it possible. Colorado also currently have too many defensemen on the roster so trading him makes sense numbers-wise too.
This would obviously only happen if Lundqvist requests a trade to have a chance at the cup. Colorado would roll with a Lundqvist-Grubauer tandem to keep Lundqvist fresh. Francouz could go the opposite way to give NYR a goalie.

Lundqvist (@$8.5m) for Barberio ($1.45m) + Francouz ($950k).​

Not sure what sort of value would need to be added in terms of picks (on either side). Thoughts?

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
Namestnikov(1m retained) to Edmonton/Montreal for a 3rd.
Smith, 2nd to Ottawa for MacArthur(LTIR), 7th

Buchnevich 3.25m/2y
DeAngelo 2.75m/2y
Lemieux 1.25m/2y

$81,406,466

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Andersson-Strome-Kravtsov

Lemieux-Howden-Fast
Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Shattenkrik
Fox

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Nice top 9!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Its not a big issue. NYR have tons of contracts up after the 2020/2021 season. Next summer Rangers have very few players on their roster that need a new contract so just need to decide who they will go forward without this summer and then they are fine longterm.

To be clear, I’m not saying that they are in a terrible position or that their bind is long term. But right now they have to make a move just to get under the cap and they’ll need to make a few more in order to sign ADA and Buchnevich.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The most absolute certainty in the league is that Lundqvist will never choose to leave the Rangers. He would offer to pay them to stay on if that's what it takes.

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016
It seems like some of you guys are more concerned with the Rangers cap crunch than most of the fanbase.

Gorton is no dummy.
They want to try to act like this isn't the most insane rebuild ever. Problems are a lot smaller than people on this forum would like to imagine. Not a surprise when it comes to this site. Everyone on here can see the future and are the smartest person in the room at all times.

NateB19

Feb 25, 2016

What, if anything, do you think Rangers would want in a trade, bearing in mind his $8.5m hit? Would they just be happy to get rid of his cap if they moved him? Something like this perhaps:

Avs will have ~$6m capspace this season (after Rantanen and Kamenev get resigned), so retention and Barberio's contract going makes it possible. Colorado also currently have too many defensemen on the roster so trading him makes sense numbers-wise too.
This would obviously only happen if Lundqvist requests a trade to have a chance at the cup. Colorado would roll with a Lundqvist-Grubauer tandem to keep Lundqvist fresh. Francouz could go the opposite way to give NYR a goalie.

Not sure what sort of value would need to be added in terms of picks (on either side). Thoughts?
1) Lundqvist is never being traded.
2) A Hall of Famer isn't being traded for Mark Barberio
3) The Rangers have Shestyorkin and Georgiev and don't want or need an AHL goalie in return for a Hall of Famer either.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Goalies have **** value. Especially when they have a big cap hit, are over 35, and they’re coming off a crappy season statistically.

If HL did waive his NMC, we wouldnt be expecting high picks or exceptional prospects. So most cap clearing offers would be considered, imo.

Reactions: Richard88 and HBK27

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Damn. And they have a ton of young talent as well who will need deals in the next few years. Going to be interesting to see who they can keep. Assuming Kakko is as advertised he is likely looking at the Panarin deal.
Tons and tons of big contracts come off the cap before any of the rookies need big deals. This year is really the only problematic year on the horizon cap wise.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When I look at the Ducks lineup, I see a fit for Shattenkirk. If they could get him and a 2nd for essentially nothing, then they can add some extra picks to rebuild with. Only thing is the Rags 2nd is tied to Fox. Do they send him down for the year, and just try to jettison Brendan Smith for some cap space. For me it seems like Shattenkirk is the obstacle. Can't pay 6.5 million for a 3rd pairing defenseman, and be in contention. Especially with Smith on the books too. The defense is being rebuilt, and looks to have some promise now. Forward group is young. Maybe Kreider at least has some value.

Any projections on their forwards?

Panarin-Zibanajed-Kakko
Kreider-Chityl-Busnevich
Namestnikov-Howden-Andersson/Strome
Lemieux-Mc Kegg-Fast?

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
already offered in another thread, Avs 1st + one of Kamenev/Meloche/Greer (could be other prospect even, not named Byram, Kaut or Newhook. though those three are the more NHL ready) + conditional 2nd. if there's a bidding war, I'd be open to even add some bottom 6er to the deal, though I guess the Rangers wouldn't be interested in taking salary back.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Smith buyout saves $3.3 mil in '19-20, costs $3.1 mil in '20-21 and then $1.1 mil for the next 2 seasons.

Staal buyout saves $2.8 mil in '19-20, costs $3.7 mil in '20-21 and then $1.2 mil for the next 2 seasons.

Smith is easily the better buyout, if they go that route. Then Namestnikov gets traded for a 3rd (maybe a late 2nd), no retention. That's $7.3 mil saved. The last piece is one of Kreider/Buchnevich. My guess is the Rangers prefer to trade Kreider, given his UFA status, but will move whichever player returns closer to their asking price. That should be enough to get them under for this season.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Smith buyout saves $3.3 mil in '19-20, costs $3.1 mil in '20-21 and then $1.1 mil for the next 2 seasons.

Staal buyout saves $2.8 mil in '19-20, costs $3.7 mil in '20-21 and then $1.2 mil for the next 2 seasons.

Smith is easily the better buyout, if they go that route. Then Namestnikov gets traded for a 3rd (maybe a late 2nd), no retention. That's $7.3 mil saved. The last piece is one of Kreider/Buchnevich. My guess is the Rangers prefer to trade Kreider, given his UFA status, but will move whichever player returns closer to their asking price. That should be enough to get them under for this season.

I was discussing the Rangers situation with someone earlier, and he made me aware the "buyout window" before the season starts is done with.....so how are buyouts possible now for NY?
Seriously asking because I suggested a Marc Staal buyout, but was told buyouts are now not an option since some June 30th I believe.

If that is incorrect, then my apologies, then yea, Rangers can do a Marc Staal buyout or perhaps convince Lundqvist to go elsewhere to try and win as the Rangers' focus would be on a rebuild and likely won't be Stanley Cup ready in the next two years King Henrik has on his contract.

Also have heard Buch's and Namestnikov's names on various trade rumors.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I was discussing the Rangers situation with someone earlier, and he made me aware the "buyout window" before the season starts is done with.....so how are buyouts possible now for NY?
Seriously asking because I suggested a Marc Staal buyout, but was told buyouts are now not an option since some June 30th I believe.
Because a player filed for arbitration, the Rangers now get a 48-hour buyout window that starts three days after they resolve their final contract.

Im this case, whenever Buchnevich's contract gets resolved, even if it doesnt go to the actual arbitration judgement.

There are limits to this window though.

Here are the rules:
jyni9pg.png

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
What would the Rangers send to LA to take on Shattenkirk’s whole contract?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Nope.

They have well over 20 million coming off the books in 2 summers
they also had 20 million going into this off-season and those players, which come off the book, will have to be replaced. yes, they will gain flexibility again, but gorton needs to handing out the next contracts a little bit more carefully or it could backfire quickly.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What would the Rangers send to LA to take on Shattenkirk’s whole contract?

Not sure he’s the guy they move mainly because next year after his bonus is paid he only costs 2 million in actual dollars .... even before that it’s 4 million not the 6 plus cap hit

So it’s essier to move him then . Smith makes the most sense saving 3 million this year ... then next Girardi cap hit goes down and they offset each other next yr

You want Smith w a sweetener instead ? lol

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
they also had 20 million going into this off-season and those players, which come off the book, will have to be replaced. yes, they will gain flexibility again, but gorton needs to handing out the next contracts a little bit more carefully or it could backfire quickly.

Quite possible

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The worst part about the crunch is this team NEEDS leadership experience from veterans but the veterans seem to be the ones people are talking about unloading. You can't just rely on Lundqvist and Staal. You need to put a real solid vet into the mix to help teach these kids the right way to do it. If you don't you can run into a lot of issues. Especially in the best city in the world.

If I was the Rangers and I'm trading any vet, even Kreider who's got a little leadership in the tank himself, I'm hoping to get back a cheap 3rd-4th liner with exceptional leadership skills--or maybe even better. This team needs its Marleau or Williams to name a few key vets on recently young squads.

Reactions: JamesFord

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
People:
Kreider is NOT being moved NOW.
He is constantly in demand and can be moved at any time if nec.
IMO, their most profitable option is to extend him, whether they keep him entirely or trade him down the line.
IF he doesn't come down from a max deal, he may get moved due to cap.
But a # of 6, 6.25 or 6.2 are all doable IF the term is decent, and there is no NMC, only decent NTC.
My $ is on 6.2 x 5.

As to others and the cap
there are multiple scenarios

With Trouba officially signed and 1-2 good RD prospects a year-ish only away, we should sell high on Deangelo.
We should also deal Skjei, market price.

Strome, market price but competitive bid
Buch slightly above market due to competitive bid expected production on rfa contract.

Namest at half = doable
and Smith at half not so much, except he can then be flipped with one last set of retention, so he goes from 4.35 x2 -> 2.1725 to a miniscule 1.08+.

Outside shot Staal is moved to Ottawa
he sees writing on the LD wall, wants to return post career claiming he did us a favor, and Sens somewhat close to boyhood home.

Lettierri + rights to Nanne to Dallas/Minnesota for 7th. [legacy connection, they are related to all star Lou Nanne].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad