Speculation: Rangers cap crunch

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This looks like the likely thing to happen, except trading Namestnikov or Strome wouldn't be pretty.

Namestnikov isn't a sweetener, it costs to move him. People don't seem to realize how few teams out there are in a position to take on cap, and some of them might not even want to. Melnyk doesn't want to spend money now that he's hit the cap floor, Shero doesn't seem to want to do these deals and loves his cap space more than anything. Arizona's days of being the savior are long gone. 80% of the league have their own cap to think about and think they can be competitive next year. It only leaves us with a couple realistic options which means they hold all the cards.

If it costs a 1st to move Marleau, asking for a 2nd to take on Namestnikov, considering the market, is completely justified.

Marleau was literally $6.25M in dead cap for a player that needed to be bought out. Namestnikov is $4M for a decent tweener. They could probably retain $1M and get a 7th round pick in exchange for him.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
If Lundqvist changes his mind and wants one last chance at a cup, does he have negative value at this point?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It cost a 1st to move Marleau, yet the Lightning somehow got paid a 1st to move Miller who had triple the amount of term.

Miller is a 2nd liner.. how is that comparable

Marleau was literally $6.25M in dead cap for a player that needed to be bought out. Namestnikov is $4M for a decent tweener. They could probably retain $1M and get a 7th round pick in exchange for him.

And the actual dollars with Marleau was a little over 3M. For the Canes the cap hit makes little difference, they have a full roster and over 4M in space.

Namestnikov had 35 pts in 97 games with the Rangers, team that would've given him every chance to play a lot if he earned it. He's useless in a defensive role, and doesn't produce enough on his own. Nobody wants to spend 4M on that, look where Ryan Spooner is now, another former tweener.

His value is negative at this point. If he was a FA he'd have tough time finding anything else than short-term low cost prove me deals.

And it's not even all about him. The value of cap space as of right now is very high. If you have Vegas calling you about taking on Ryan Reaves or Nick Holden or both and the Rangers calling you about taking Namestnikov, you're not going to just pick one to take for free and choose to help one team out. That's not how business works.

Things might change later on, but right now it would be stupid not to play hardball.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If Lundqvist changes his mind and wants one last chance at a cup, does he have negative value at this point?

If we retained on him up to 50%, definitely not. Problem is there are barely any teams who need a goalie. Most teams have a bonafide #1 starter they're committed to.

Sabres, Flames, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Oilers, Devils, Senators and the Canucks are the only ones with question marks in net.

Would never be traded to NJ (and they have BW), Oilers cant afford him, Wings and Senators are rebuilding, Canucks have Demko, and he would never waive to go to Buffalo or Calgary. No idea what's going with CBJ.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
They signed Trouba and Panarin, and they have Staal and Shattenkirk on bad deals.
All our bad contracts expire in 2 years (Smith, Staal, Shatty, Hank) That’s roughly 25 mil right there. And Namestnikov/Kreider are getting dealt which opens up another 8 mil. We’ll be fine

Reactions: Kupo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah, that would account for a lot of it. That's really crazy though, that's gonna haunt them.

No it is not. We just need to get through these next two years, where only Kreider is the only cap casualty.

Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith, Namestnikov, Strome and Girardi's buyout are off the books. Is that not like $35 million in freed up cap space?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All our bad contracts expire in 2 years (Smith, Staal, Shatty, Hank) That’s roughly 25 mil right there. And Namestnikov/Kreider are getting dealt which opens up another 8 mil. We’ll be fine
I mean, yeah, it clears up. But, the issue is figuring out how to pay your RFA's right now. It is not unsolvable, but it's absolutely a cap crunch in the moment.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How sharp has Lundqvist's decline been, and how much value does he have in a trade currently (bearing in mind that he is 37 and has an $8.5m cap hit for 2 more seasons)?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No it is not. We just need to get through these next two years, where only Kreider is the only cap casualty.

Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith, Namestnikov, Strome and Girardi's buyout are off the books. Is that not like $35 million in freed up cap space?

And all the young talent to pay, the Rangers seem to be perpetually in cap trouble. I just found it astounding that that roster is even close to the cap.

But then again, after my initial shock, I don't really care.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
How sharp has Lundqvist's decline been, and how much value does he have in a trade currently (bearing in mind that he is 37 and has an $8.5m cap hit for 2 more seasons)?
Lundqvist carried the team on his back the first part of the year, which was unusual since he’s usually a slow starter. He’s was his old Vezina caliber self.

Quinn overplayed the **** out of him because he’s a rookie coach and he wanted to win.

By the midway point if the season the wheels had fallen off and so did Lundqvists play.

He’s not done as a hockey player. But the reality of him playing on a rebuilding team definitely impacted his play.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Bonus first get billed to the 7.5% of the cap for bonus snd ltir ...any left over after that roles over to next season.
:skeptic:

Any bonuses expenditures over the cap are pushed to the next season.

That 7.5% is the cushion allowed for the bonuses earned during a season.

Any part of that cushion used is deferred to the next season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And all the young talent to pay, the Rangers seem to be perpetually in cap trouble. I just found it astounding that that roster is even close to the cap.

But then again, after my initial shock, I don't really care.

I sure as shit hope that our young talent commands huge contracts. That means we finally have the high end talent we've been lacking for over 20 years and cost us a Cup in 2012-15

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, this is what CapFriendly says. And it also says that they have $906K in projected LTIR to be used, but I'm not seeing anybody on their roster who will actually be on LTIR to start the season.

They're in a rougher cap bind than I realized.
Its not a big issue. NYR have tons of contracts up after the 2020/2021 season. Next summer Rangers have very few players on their roster that need a new contract so just need to decide who they will go forward without this summer and then they are fine longterm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad