Speculation: Rangers cap crunch

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
After the Trouba signing, the Rangers have 906k to sign Lemeiux, DeAngelo and Buchnevich.

Is one of Strome/Shattenkirk/Kreider/Namestnikov on the block?

Shattenkirk and Names have negative value, Kreider tho, MTL would be interested!

Reactions: themelkman

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
After the Trouba signing, the Rangers have 906k to sign Lemeiux, DeAngelo and Buchnevich.

If I'm reading CapFriendly correctly they're $906k over the cap, not under it. As far as I can tell they don't have any LTIR relief either. Not sure what the next move is.

Edit: I suppose that's with a pretty big roster (15F, 8D when all their RFAs are signed). So realistically they have ~$1m with two contracts sent down.

Last edited:

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Yes all of them are on the block. We would be looking for picks and prospects for any of them. Unless it's a mega deal of buch krieder and something for a top 6 center that doesnt make a ton of money.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
If I'm reading CapFriendly correctly they're $906k over the cap, not under it. As far as I can tell they don't have any LTIR relief either. Not sure what the next move is.

They would be sending Beleskey down that would free up around 1m.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yeah, this is what CapFriendly says. And it also says that they have $906K in projected LTIR to be used, but I'm not seeing anybody on their roster who will actually be on LTIR to start the season.

They're in a rougher cap bind than I realized.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Yeah, this is what CapFriendly says. And it also says that they have $906K in projected LTIR to be used, but I'm not seeing anybody on their roster who will actually be on LTIR to start the season.

I think they might just automatically flag any cap hits over the upper limit as "LTIR relief" whether the team has the relief or not.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

CapFriendly has too many forwards slotted into the roster (Beleskey, McKegg,Nieves). Rangers have about 1.75m in cap space when roster is adjusted for making space for the RFAs that get signed.

It is anticipated that Lemieux & DeAngelo will sign a 1 year deal for their QO or close to. Which means in order to sign Buchnevich to a reasonable length deal (3-4) they just need to move out one of Namestnikov/Strome/Kreider, or just buy out Smith or Shattenkirk if they cant fin'd any takers of the forwards.

Reactions: pld459666

Kaapo Takko

Oct 13, 2015
Finland
Namestnikov(1m retained) to Edmonton/Montreal for a 3rd.
Smith, 2nd to Ottawa for MacArthur(LTIR), 7th

Buchnevich 3.25m/2y
DeAngelo 2.75m/2y
Lemieux 1.25m/2y

$81,406,466

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Andersson-Strome-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden-Fast
Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-DeAngelo
Hajek-Shattenkrik
Fox

Lundqvist
Georgiev

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Worst case, they just dump Buchnevich for a pick/prospect.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Montreal will take Lemieux off NYR hands for a 3rd. One less problem for them

Hmm tough decision. No thanks. Lemieux has been exactly what we have been looking for, for a long time on this team.

Krieder, strome, names, and possibly buch are on the block. Lemieux and DeAngelo will most likely sign their qualifying offer each at slightly under 1m.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
how is a lottery team over the cap.

Bc of stupid signings like shatty and Smith. 1 year deals of names and strome left. But in 2 years we have a ton of cap coming off. So in reality when we are going to be competing for a cup we will have plenty of cap space to go after who we want, sign our own players, and get another trade like the deal we just did for trouba.

Reactions: pld459666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad