Speculation: Rangers cap crunch

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
-Fox (925k), -1 of McKegg/Nieves(700k/750k) (or both, presuming Kravtsov wins a spot)

I agree the best way to make the cap work is trading Kreider or Namestnikov, but Gorton can navigate it with a buyout. I much prefer a Shattenkirk buyout to a Smith buyout, since smith can play the role of both 7th D and 13th F

Kravtsov over Nieves or McKegg is a cap increase. No way they stick with no extra forward and send both down.

Fox is a lock for the NHL. Mark my words on that.

Edit: We both clearly have assumptions here. Mine are 13 forwards, 8 D, Kravtsov, Kakko, and Fox in the NHL. You have slimmer roster expectations.

I think Kreider is moved now, Names at the deadline, Smith bought out.

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Kravtsov over Nieves or McKegg is a cap increase. No way they stick with no extra forward and send both down.

Fox is a lock for the NHL. Mark my words on that.

I miscounted the forwards on the roster (forgot Buch was assumed traded in this scenario). But anyways, like i said about Smith, he could be both extra forward or extra D if they decide to keep him and buy out Shattenkirk instead. Conveniently also gives us a lot of breathing room with the cap as well.

Fox won't get playing time unless a RD gets moved out. Trouba, Shattenkirk, ADA, and Smith all play RD (though smith plays F also). They're not gonna keep him with the big club to play 1 every 5 or 6 games. If they seriously want him on the roster to start the year they should buy out Shattenkirk.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I miscounted the forwards on the roster (forgot Buch was assumed traded in this scenario). But anyways, like i said about Smith, he could be both extra forward or extra D if they decide to keep him and buy out Shattenkirk instead. Conveniently also gives us a lot of breathing room with the cap as well.

Fox won't get playing time unless a RD gets moved out. Trouba, Shattenkirk, ADA, and Smith all play RD (though smith plays F also). They're not gonna keep him with the big club to play 1 every 5 or 6 games. If they seriously want him on the roster to start the year they should buy out Shattenkirk.

I don’t think you can sit a 22 year old surefire NHLer who needs to develop at the right level. I think Shattenkirk ends up as the 7 or one of the RHD splits time on the left with a kid like Hajek.

Shattenkirk buyout is an absolute no go for me. The long term impact is significant and hurts the prime of this team far more than a Smith buyout. All decisions should keep the 2021-2024 window in mind.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I don’t think you can sit a 22 year old surefire NHLer who needs to develop at the right level. I think Shattenkirk ends up as the 7 or one of the RHD splits time on the left with a kid like Hajek.

Shattenkirk buyout is an absolute no go for me. The long term impact is significant and hurts the prime of this team far more than a Smith buyout. All decisions should keep the 2021-2024 window in mind.

Fox isnt a "surefire NHLer" until he's played at this level and proved it. The only way he makes the team is if he comes into training camp and blows the doors off and forces himself onto the club. Which, of course, would be a great problem to have. I EXPECT he will need time in the AHL to adjust to the speed of the pro game, and because our roster is tight for RDs. No way are they going to pay Shattenkirk 6.6m to be in the press box for the majority of the year.

There is a 300k difference in years 3 and 4 between Smith and Shattenkirk, how does it hurt the long tearm "far more"? The dead cap space next year is meaningless as we have no players up for serious extensions and will have at least 15m coming off the books depending on the rest of the moves this summer. The following season we have the defensemen and hank coming off the books for $25m (~20 if one of the D get bought out). 1.1m cap hit vs 1.4m is a drop in the bucket, especially consideirng the new TV deal and the revenue from Seattle joining the league. For reference, Kakko and Kravtsov will not be due for a contract extension until year 4.

Edit: We both clearly have assumptions here. Mine are 13 forwards, 8 D, Kravtsov, Kakko, and Fox in the NHL. You have slimmer roster expectations.

I think Kreider is moved now, Names at the deadline, Smith bought out.

I know the coach likes having 8D and an extra forward, but if the team is backed into a corner they are going to have to skimp somewhere. Smith's versatility helps here, being a 13thF or 7/8th D depending on need will be helpful.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Fox isnt a "surefire NHLer" until he's played at this level and proved it. The only way he makes the team is if he comes into training camp and blows the doors off and forces himself onto the club. Which, of course, would be a great problem to have. I EXPECT he will need time in the AHL to adjust to the speed of the pro game, and because our roster is tight for RDs. No way are they going to pay Shattenkirk 6.6m to be in the press box for the majority of the year.

There is a 300k difference in years 3 and 4 between Smith and Shattenkirk, how does it hurt the long tearm "far more"? The dead cap space next year is meaningless as we have no players up for serious extensions and will have at least 15m coming off the books depending on the rest of the moves this summer. The following season we have the defensemen and hank coming off the books for $25m (~20 if one of the D get bought out). 1.1m cap hit vs 1.4m is a drop in the bucket, especially consideirng the new TV deal and the revenue from Seattle joining the league. For reference, Kakko and Kravtsov will not be due for a contract extension until year 4.

I know the coach likes having 8D and an extra forward, but if the team is backed into a corner they are going to have to skimp somewhere. Smith's versatility helps here, being a 13thF or 7/8th D depending on need will be helpful.

Good points. For some reason I thought Shattenkirk's hit in Year 3/4 was larger.

You're right, Fox has to earn it in camp, but I really don't see NCAA leading ppg scorer not making one of the weakest D-groups in the NHL. He's too dynamic, but I guess e will see.

I'm just hard to the paint in the camp that Buchnevich fits this team's timeline and Kreider & Namesntikov don't. Trading Buch is my last resort to solve for this problem and the other options don't force skimping of talent that should up at the NHL level.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Good points. For some reason I thought Shattenkirk's hit in Year 3/4 was larger.

You're right, Fox has to earn it in camp, but I really don't see NCAA leading ppg scorer not making one of the weakest D-groups in the NHL. He's too dynamic, but I guess e will see.

I'm just hard to the paint in the camp that Buchnevich fits this team's timeline and Kreider & Namesntikov don't. Trading Buch is my last resort to solve for this problem and the other options don't force skimping of talent that should up at the NHL level.

Agreed, I'd like Buch around for the long haul. I think 4x4 would get it done. I would love if they are able to move Kreider this summer, but if our cap situation is leveraged against his trade value too much I would not want to move him. Namestnikov shouldn't be hard to move, even if they need to retain a little bit on him. He is a useful and versatile player that plays up and down the lineup.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
How does trading Buch open up more cap space? He doesn’t have a number counting against the cap.

Where are you seeing 2m of cap space on the roster? There isn’t.

Current cap hit: 82.406m
Minus Smith: 79.027 (-3.379m)
Minus Beleskey: 78.152 (-0.875m)
Available Cap to Sign ADA and Lemieux: 3.348m

Even on a bridge, I don’t see DeAngelo coming in under $2.5m, and even that’s pushing it.

I like DeAngelo, but he still has a lot to prove. If he gets more than 2,5 mill - then Gorton must have gone mad. I cant see Rangers in this part of the build, giving out big contracts to players there is still questions about.

Reactions: Shootertooter

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
At this point Buch has proven himself to be a decent young NHL player. I don't think Pulju has. The Rangers will sign Buch for around 3M for a couple of years. He is not the player they are looking to move.

They signed him today 3.25x2........this is your bern's "remember that time I was correct" post of the day.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
-Fox (925k), -1 of McKegg/Nieves(700k/750k) (or both, presuming Kravtsov wins a spot)

Edit- Your math is wrong on Beleksey, we get ~1.1m in cap space from burying him League min salary + 300k i believe is the formula.

I agree the best way to make the cap work is trading Kreider or Namestnikov, but Gorton can navigate it with a buyout. I much prefer a Shattenkirk buyout to a Smith buyout, since smith can play the role of both 7th D and 13th F, and Shattenkirk gives us an extra $2m this season

buyouts are not candy
they have cap consequences

that said, if we can't hold out for compliance buyouts, I'd much prefer to buy out Staal.
it kills that damn NMC which I am preaching we need to try to avoid as much as possible, and
we have hope Shattenkirk rebounds from knee injury.

Staal is not an awful mess, just a bit older and banged up, but concussions aside, he'll never reverse his eye issues, one would expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad