Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by frederixx, May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrownofThornton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I’m ok with the dramatic language, because my team has suffered injuries to key players at the hands of Wilson. I legit hate playing the Caps, because it’s a roulette wheel spin of who between Hathaway or Wilson is gonna injure someone this time.

It’s pretty telling that for the past few seasons Bruin’s players are seen “having the talk” with Wilson during pregame warmups. It used to be Chara, and now it’s Miller having to dole out the warnings. Something that shouldn’t even have to happen.

Holocene, Biltmore, Dessloch and 3 others like this.
  2. bobc222 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    2 other posters and I have repeatedly attempted to explain the point of the bullet analogy to you. It has nothing to do with trying to say its the "same thing" as a hockey scrum, its about determining if we can hold people accountable for actions, even if they didn't have negative impacts in a particular instance.

Do you want me to try a more basic analogy to see if I can illustrate the point for the 5th time?

Don't worry, I know guns and bullets are your trigger words, so I won't use them.

Let's say your kid jumps off the counter a lot, but has never gotten injured. Do you still tell them they shouldn't jump off the counter even though they've been lucky enough to never get hurt? Why or why not?

Hi ImHFNYR likes this.
  3. Hi ImHFNYR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Normandy
    I know right! Imagine if Wilson had legit murdered a human being on the ice but then the team complains about it.

The league giving in at that point would be so bad for the NHL. Bc context no longer matters. To the point where people have to give extreme examples to try to get across what should be really obvious

Biltmore likes this.
  4. ItsFineImFine Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Colin Campbell is like the Emperor Palpatine of the NHL, the hate only makes him stronger. E-mail gate didn't take him down and neither will this lol.

MarkovsKnee and Biltmore like this.
  5. DuneGoon84 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I want the Biggest goon we have to annihilate your star player. Rag doll the hell out of him. That's truly what I want as a fan

6. Guttersniped The Quest for The 3rd Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    As Devils fans who wishes only harsh unending professional failure and misery for everyone associated with that dumb team, I have to say I fully support the Rangers with this too. (I’m not voluntarily typing out that second hashtag though.)

Drag Parros’ ass up and down 7th Ave. Take the fine, it’s only money, standing up for Panarin is worth it. Let NHL explain fining a team for speaking out about this and make them defend their player safety policies publicly.

7. Anglesmith Setting up the play?

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I've seen a lot of New York-based media making similar emotional statements, but that isn't worth much. Several neutral media members are analysing the play objectively and pointing out that not much separated these plays from other scrums which are a normal part of the game. One of the things that many media members are quick to point out is that it is highly difficult for anyone to opine on Tom Wilson incidents objectively, because basically everyone comes in with an opinion already formed. As a result, there are a ton of articles talking about the outrage of Rangers fans and the team, which then makes it seems like everyone is outraged. In reality, while there are certainly media members that agree with the Rangers, many are just reporting their response.

The league (and by extension the owners) get to decide on the rules, the structure of the DoPS and who heads it. They have plenty of power as it is. Like I said, if you want to force change in an immediate way, make a statement that shows people that Parros was wrong. Don't just make a statement that you are angry and think he is wrong.

8. RogerRoger Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm sure plenty of Rangers fans would like a goon to take a run and injure Backstrom (or Carlson), but I doubt it would be a popular take and would be rather silly in juxtaposition to the Rangers calling out the DOPES for being a bunch of impotent losers.

amjay13 and DuneGoon84 like this.
  9. SmoggyTwinkles Go Leafs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Drug dealer/undercover cop
    Home Page:
    I can't even believe anyone can defend what they see here. I have no love or hate for either team, Don't care about em.

But I have eyeballs and have been watching hockey a long time.

it's absolutely insane that that is not a suspension, and a very long one.

10. Cricket Green Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Gotcha. So let's update that to:

"No precedent will be set if the league steps up and corrects its mistake. This is a unique situation that is obvious to everyone but you, those who think like you and Caps fans."

Is that the world of change you sought?

Hi ImHFNYR likes this.
  11. amjay13 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What would you suspend him for? Throwing Panarin down after Panarin jumped on him? He could have just dropped his gloves and unloaded on him.

Smokin krak koken likes this.
  12. Davimir Tarablad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If the Rangers end up getting a fine for this statement, they should release another statement saying they got fined more for issuing a statement than Wilson did for injuring a player.

13. SomeDude Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    NHL: “You’re right, Rangers. Meet the new head of player safety.....Ulf Samuelsson.”

Summer Rose likes this.
  14. Penosity Back in Black, Red, and White

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I agree with the Rangers on this one.

SmoggyTwinkles and Dessloch like this.
  15. gtrower Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Regardless of how you feel about Wilson / the events last night, Rangers putting out a tweet like this is full cringe. Every team has calls / rulings they’re not happy with. You don’t go crying about it on social media.

Smokin krak koken and lottster14 like this.
  16. andora Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You have really put on a show here..

17. Crow Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They might be horrifying for you, but I don’t think that is the issue.

As you can see from a lot of responses in this thread, that phrase is heavily associated with, due to the media and political use, the very worst incidents like terrorist attacks, murders of women and children, serial killers, tortuous death, racist attacks and the like. It is out of place in a hockey fight between 3 millionaires that got a bit frightening for the players health. That’s being excessively dramatic.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  18. Herregud Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Retail Manager
    It's obvious to everyone agrees with you and anyone else is wrong. Look, I'm not going to say the situation isn't unique, it is. I still don't think it's a good idea for the NHL to cave to a single team's demands and replace a figurehead for one more likely to favor said team.

That said, I doubt that was the Rangers' intention. It's theater and it's a good play. I was just wondering about how steep the slope gets when the next guy doesn't punish a situation in a way that yet another team can agree with.

No vitriol here.

Smokin krak koken likes this.
  19. Treb Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I feel like this is appropriate if you change star to good player and Pronger for Wilson (and change the arrow for no suspension in this case):
    [​IMG]

20. Hi ImHFNYR Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Normandy
    DO you have any links? How many is "many media members"? Which media members?

Siddi and Guttersniped like this.
  21. SmoggyTwinkles Go Leafs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Drug dealer/undercover cop
    Home Page:
    After watching that sequence of events, I'm not 100% sure where I'd even begin to come up with a suspension, but it would be a big one. I see several suspendable things going down in the replay.

I don't want to argue about though, because I agree with the Rangers organization completely, and there is no fandom getting in the way of me feeling like that.

22. Kakko Schmakko Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    not at all, guy failed to do his job, like a dog owner that thinks it is fine to walk a dog with rabies.

Luc Labelle and GbgRanger like this.
  23. DonM Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Stop denying their lived experiences!

24. Chaels Arms Formerly Lias Andersson

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Rick Carpiniello is reporting Parros didn't even want to suspend Wilson for the Carlo hit but Bettman stepped in because he was afraid of "the optics" of no suspension. :shakehead

25. Rants Mulliniks Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'd go with the first one, intentionally driving someone's face into the ice then punching the back of their head. If head shots are suspend able offences, what more do you need?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.