Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I cant imagine Wilson plays tonorrow, right? Itd be a pretty wise idea to at least control the potential s*** show while you can. No way Wilson gets much sleep tonight knowing hes in for a rough one tomorrow, especially if the Rangers call up Geersten

Honestly he has to. He needs to answer for the events and release the tension. And that’s before considering Ovi/Kuzentsov aren’t playing tomorrow so the Caps will already be short forwards.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
By Caps fans maybe.

But the Rangers aren't wrong. The DoPS has been a shitshow for a long time now.
See here's the thing. Caps fans know this. We have consistently had our star players taken out by dirty hits that got no or minimal penalty. And it goes back to '08 at the very least. Shit, Oshie alone has been injured at least once a season for the last 4 by incredibly dirty hits. Backstrom and Eller have had multiple concussions from hits that you'd be screeching for days about if Wilson had thrown it. You morons wave it off. So ya know what, when you care about that, we'll agree Wilson should be reigned in. Otherwise, I hope he doesn't change a lick.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know how pointing out that the DOPS has been doing a terrible job (for years) is a "Karen" post.

Wilson's antics belong in a 1920 NHL game, not the modern day NHL. Would probably be BFF with Sprague Cleghorn and Billy Coutu.

1920’s? Where were you between 75-2005?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
think what you want about the situation but making a "karen" post on twitter is not a good look for a pro hockey team.

Um, they're openly criticizing a person in position of power and standing up for their players. A karen would be someone ratting on a person who is powerless (e.g., "I'd like to speak to your manager").

Not even close, chief.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Either Wilson was drunk and couldn't tell Buchnevich's shoulder from his head, thought he was cuddling with his little brother, or he punched him in his head. I mean literally why would he punch Buchnevich's shoulder what is this grade school? Or did he miss? In that case the intention was still there, it doesn't matter the he apparently has bad aim. The Panarin "fight" he f***ing ragdolled him with no helmet on and tried hit his head on the ice TWICE. He's got like 60 pounds on Panarin. The only reason Panarin got involved is to pull him off Strome. The only reason Strome got involved was because Wilson attacked Buchnevich. Oh I forgot he hit his shoulder, because he's in grade school.

This is my thing with it. Strome and Panarin only did it to rightfully protect their teammate. You see this all the time. A normal reaction would have been for Wilson to turn around and take a single jab at Panarin, maybe a facewash. That's how a normal, level headed athlete would have responded. I would have been fine with that.

Wilson responded by rag-dolling Panarin and injuring him in a violent fashion. Then he went to the penalty box and acted like a gorilla. This isn't a level headed response from a pro athlete. This is someone who had an emotional tantrum on the ice that people are trying to defend.

He crossed a line, it was clear as day his reaction wasn't normal.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
It needs to be said that the NHL is reverting back to it's old ways in which refs put the whistle away and players get away with far too much.

Clean up the game or remain stuck in the Dark Ages and the butt end of jokes that reinforces the stereotype of the brainless, thug, meathead hockey player.
NHL stands for National hypocrite league. They want more skill in the game and less goonnery. Yet they allow shenanigans to continue.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
The HC voiced his displeasure last night and this afternoon. I’m sure he will tomorrow. Players on the team have done the same thing. This statement isn’t isolated.

The Rangers are perfectly aware of how it reads and they clearly understand media better than you, including social media. It doesn’t matter if they were right or wrong. The intent was to stoke and perpetuate a negative storm of press for the league, the DoPS, and Parros. No matter if you agree with them or not, all of the reactions across the spectrum do exactly that. This is PR, not a courtroom for truth and justice.

I mean that last comment is literally my point. Between the hyperbole and (for lack of a better term) whining they don’t come out of that tweet looking good. They could’ve watered it down and been okay. Basically just removed the “horrifying act of violence.”

It’s not a courtroom. So just say you were disappointed with the result and settle things on the ice. There’s a reason other professional sports teams don’t post things like this.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's not something the social media rep threw together; that reads like an official club press release. That came straight from the top at MSG.

Absolutely, it came from someone older and smarter than 99% of social media managers that no offense to anyone that does that work on HF usually is occupied by 22 year old basic chicks/bros.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
think what you want about the situation but making a "karen" post on twitter is not a good look for a pro hockey team.
You might be onto something if the post wasn't so vastly popular. At this point it's largely viewed as a legitimate complaint everywhere outside of the Caps fandom.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I am the owner of the Rangers and they try to fine me, I tell them to buzz off.

Rangers are one of the most important teams in the league and they can be bullies if they really want to.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Maybe they did it to also discourage any criminal / over the top revenge.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean that last comment is literally my point. Between the hyperbole and (for lack of a better term) whining they don’t come out of that tweet looking good. They could’ve watered it down and been okay. Basically just removed the “horrifying act of violence.”

It’s not a courtroom. So just say you were disappointed with the result and settle things on the ice. There’s a reason other professional sports teams don’t post things like this.

Their intent is not for them to look good, or avoid looking bad. Their intent is to make the league look bad, which is what is happening. The more extreme the language, the more eyeballs that will see it. Sure, a lot of people will react negatively to the statement... but 100% of the people will see it as negative for the league.

GbgRanger

Jul 11, 2009
Sweden / Philippines
Regardless of how you feel about Wilson / the events last night, Rangers putting out a tweet like this is full cringe. Every team has calls / rulings they’re not happy with. You don’t go crying about it on social media.

Complaining about rulings is commonplace. It happens on a game-by-game basis.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

Let me guess, another Caps fan?
Other sports teams don't post things like this because 1) they're afraid of the consequences, and 2) their star player wasn't injured for the rest of the season. Wilson's actions are getting worse, the Rangers don't want it settled on the ice, and they don't want to lose any more talent. They want the NHL to act like adults and do the right thing. Caps fans, you're looking awful here. Stop criticizing the statement, and stop defending your piece of trash player.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Good on the Rangers, now if its time for other teams to follow suit to force a change! It started with Ovechkin being fined 5000$ for blatant spearing, and then it has escalated with lots of infractions worthy of suspensions resulting in 5000$ fines only. For whatever reason the rulings have gone from bad to to terrible and its time for it to stop for the game and for the safety of the players!

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Let me guess, another Caps fan?
Other sports teams don't post things like this because 1) they're afraid of the consequences, and 2) their star player wasn't injured for the rest of the season. Wilson's actions are getting worse, the Rangers don't want it settled on the ice, and they don't want to lose any more talent. They want the NHL to act like adults and do the right thing. Caps fans, you're looking awful here. Stop criticizing the statement, and stop defending your piece of trash player.
Well said!

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
There needs be a suspension or some kind, or a penalty to the NYR staff. It is not allowed for the coaches to get involved with referee decisions; quite similarly, this sort of public challenge against the decrees of the league must be addressed. What Wilson did was not great, but that does not make a case for the NYR to challenge the due process in this way.

This is America.

We DGAF.

and, honestly, who doesn't like what the NYR did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad