Rangers calling out DOPS! (UPD: NYR fined $250,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Their intent is not for them to look good, or avoid looking bad. Their intent is to make the league look bad, which is what is happening. The more extreme the language, the more eyeballs that will see it. Sure, a lot of people will react negatively to the statement... but 100% of the people will see it as negative for the league.

The league looks bad on their own. Rangers didn't need to make a press release statement for that.

Media was all over this as soon as it was announced. The NHL isn't trending on Twitter too often, and this is one of the few times it was. The Rangers had nothing to do with the bad press.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I can imagine people seeing the Rangers statement of "horrifying act of violence" and searching up the Wilson clip for the first time expecting to see a Bertuzzi or Chris Simon like incident..only to see a bit of cheap roughing and a wrestling match.

That was me last night when I saw the twitter outrage..expecting to see some gruesome act done by Wilson. I thought I had watched the wrong clip and then wondered if there was more to it. Nope lol

DoPS could have suspended him but really I didn't see enough justification with the act itself (disregarding that it was Wilson).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is my thing with it. Strome and Panarin only did it to rightfully protect their teammate. You see this all the time. A normal reaction would have been for Wilson to turn around and take a single jab at Panarin, maybe a facewash. That's how a normal, level headed athlete would have responded. I would have been fine with that.

Wilson responded by rag-dolling Panarin and injuring him in a violent fashion. Then he went to the penalty box and acted like a gorilla. This isn't a level headed response from a pro athlete. This is someone who had an emotional tantrum on the ice that people are trying to defend.

He crossed a line, it was clear as day his reaction wasn't normal.

Maybe the weight difference made it look more jarring but I can't remember a single legit fight where a guy got body slammed like that and he did it TWICE clearly trying to slam his head on the ice both times. You often see fights that end up on the ground but probably in part because both guys weigh the same they're not WWE style body slams where the guy's bare head is exposed. f***ing twice.

And people think it's a joke, but in the penalty box after a normal person would have cooled off some he was flexing. He's a complete sociopath. I don't know how anyone can defend the Panarin actions even if apparently good guy Wilson was punching his shoulder pad like the good guy he is. I mean @Machinehead is right, usually these guys don't try to hurt each other in fights and try to prevent their opponent from having their head hit the ice. That's a "gentlemanly" fight, in fact one with decency. Wilson not only didn't brace his fall, it looked like he was purposely trying have his head hit the ice.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The league looks bad on their own. Rangers didn't need to make a press release statement for that.

Media was all over this as soon as it was announced. The NHL isn't trending on Twitter too often, and this is one of the few times it was. The Rangers had nothing to do with the bad press.

In the previous post, I mentioned that the intent was to perpetuate the bad press. I’ll also add the word amplify.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Let me guess, another Caps fan?
Other sports teams don't post things like this because 1) they're afraid of the consequences, and 2) their star player wasn't injured for the rest of the season. Wilson's actions are getting worse, the Rangers don't want it settled on the ice, and they don't want to lose any more talent. They want the NHL to act like adults and do the right thing. Caps fans, you're looking awful here. Stop criticizing the statement, and stop defending your piece of trash player.

Punch on the ground was cheap and he should have to answer for it. I’m not a fan of the sympathy for Panarin after he jumped on Wilson from behind (IMHO all bets are off at that point) but recognize I’m in the minority there so can appreciate that my judgement could be clouded by some bias there.

I think the only real issue I have here is “horrifying act of violence against a star player.” Panarin jumped on him and got taken down. Respect that he defended teammates and sucks that he got injured.

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Solve it on the ice. Get a guy who can answer the bell with Wilson, or force other Caps (not so good at fighting and top players) to go.
Make Oshie or Backstrom drop the mitts and bop.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
I can imagine people seeing the Rangers statement of "horrifying act of violence" and searching up the Wilson clip for the first time expecting to see a Bertuzzi or Chris Simon like incident..only to see a bit of cheap roughing and a wrestling match.

That was me last night when I saw the twitter outrage..expecting to see some gruesome act done by Wilson. I thought I had watched the wrong clip and then wondered if there was more to it. Nope lol

DoPS could have suspended him but really I didn't see enough justification with the act itself (disregarding that it was Wilson).
Ragdolling a player 60lbs less without a helmet head first to the ice TWICE. What part of that is not horrifying? Did you want his head to be split to justify that statement ?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe the weight difference made it look more jarring but I can't remember a single legit fight where a guy got body slammed like that and he did it TWICE clearly trying to slam his head on the ice both times. You often see fights that end up on the ground but probably in part because both guys weigh the same they're not WWE style body slams where the guy's bare head is exposed. f***ing twice.

And people think it's a joke, but in the penalty box after a normal person would have cooled off some he was flexing. He's a complete sociopath. I don't know how anyone can defend the Panarin actions even if apparently good guy Wilson was punching his shoulder pad like the good guy he is. I mean @Machinehead is right, usually these guys don't try to hurt each other in fights and try to prevent their opponent from having their head hit the ice. That's a "gentlemanly" fight, in fact one with decency. Wilson not only didn't brace his fall, it looked like he was purposely trying have his head hit the ice.
Of course he was. And purposely took his helmet off.

It's Tom Wilson.

And people say "oh if it was anybody else it's a non-issue."

Yes. Correct. You unintentionally ran head-fist into the correct answer.

Accidents happen. People lose their cool. This is not that. This guy is in hot water every three weeks.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
Avery sucker punched Ladislav Smid after declining to drop the gloves with him breaking his orbital bone. Put him out over a month. Complete scum and 50 times worse than what Wilson did last night.
I stand corrected. Thought it was just his other nonsense.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Solve it on the ice. Get a guy who can answer the bell with Wilson, or force other Caps (not so good at fighting and top players) to go.
Make Oshie or Backstrom drop the mitts and bop.

Are you serious?
Their star player is done for the year, and Buchnevich could have been seriously injured. What good does "dropping the gloves" do? It doesn't undo any damage, it doesn't send any message whatsoever, it doesn't prevent it from happening again. You've got to be out of your mind.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
Ragdolling a player 60lbs less without a helmet head first to the ice TWICE. What part of that is not horrifying? Did you want his head to be split to justify that statement ?
Dude was riding him like a wild animal..he's lucky Wilson didn't cave his face in. Those wrestling matches happen. Its unfortunately horrifying that Panarin is small and got manhandled. Did people just start watching hockey this year? Is it just cool to be outraged at things nowadays?

Reactions: Smokin krak koken

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If I am the owner of the Rangers and they try to fine me, I tell them to buzz off.

Rangers are one of the most important teams in the league and they can be bullies if they really want to.

I wish the Leafs and other teams took the same, strong stance. This has been going on for too long the last couple of years. You want to build a team based on skill, speed and creativity and then you allow a player to abuse others in ways that would have them sent to prison if out on the streets.

I watched Tchachuk knee on the back of the head of our goalie earlier this year and not even a penalty was called. I've seen can openers and elbows to the head. Since the aggressor was a star player, "no suspension needed".

It's one issue when players pay their dues and stand toe to toe in the heat of the moment, both willing combatants. Quite another when players sucker shot vulnerable players, head hunt or engage in dirty stick work while the refs pretend it's a WWE match.

I have no problem with hard hitting, physical hockey. Even the odd fight or two where warranted. This is different. If the NHL wants a return to the goon who can't play hockey but is only there to enforce street rules, so be it. Don't expect a big pot of corporate gold or further global reach. The only league that doesn't protect it's stars and who damage their own product.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Like they said on the NHL network today, yes, yes it will...............because Wilson didn't do it...........they don't suspend for what might have happened............get over it!!!
There's something seriously wrong with you as a human or anyone else who thinks what Wilson did was ok. MAYBE, MAYBE if it's the average player give them the benefit of the doubt a little bit. Wilson is a scumbag, a thug, and someone who is literally out there trying to hurt people and take away their ability to play hockey. There is no place in an evolved NHL game or society for a piece of garbage like him. I'm a Flyers fan for crying out loud and I feel bad for the Rangers and respect the hell out of them for sending out that tweet ripping this inconsistent, mickey mouse, joke of a league who doesn't give two shits about player safety.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean I am a fan of brutality, but Wilson is over the top and I kind of agree with the sentiment, as Parros is probably like "LOL, I got paid to hurt people and now they put me in charge of punishing players who hurt people what a bunch of dumb.."

But the time has come to mete out retribution on the ice. In whatever form that may take...

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Dude was riding him like a wild animal..he's lucky Wilson didn't cave his face in. Those wrestling matches happen. Its unfortunately horrifying that Panarin is small and got manhandled. Did people just start watching hockey this year? Is it just cool to be outraged at things nowadays?
Has it occurred to you that maybe Wilson is, indeed, a wild animal
?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Of course he was. And purposely took his helmet off.

It's Tom Wilson.

And people say "oh if it was anybody else it's a non-issue."

Yes. Correct. You unintentionally ran head-fist into the correct answer.

Accidents happen. People lose their cool. This is not that. This guy is in hot water every three weeks.

You know, I remember when Hagelin had a dirty elbow on Alfredsson (I think), Rangers fans weren't necessarily saying it wasn't dirty just that Hagelin wasn't a dirty player and it probably was a mistake. You can't say that with Wilson, he's completely indefensible yet apparently I've seen Caps fans try to defend him. The only way Wilson was hitting Buchnevich's shoulder is he has bad aim. And if he does what difference does it make? The intention was clearly his head. I mean clear as day. If I try to shoot you in the head and shoot you in the shoulder because I'm a bad shot, that's still f***ing attempted murder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce