Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Well considering the general lack of success of establishments at that location, it might just work.:laugh:

I still don't know how Hard Times went under. When I worked downtown, my coworkers and I would go there a minimum of once a month and it always seemed to have a respectable crowd. Not packed, but not bad either. I imagine, though, that rents went up. The other place I still don't get how it went out of business was Draft. That place was amazing. Always packed.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I still don't know how Hard Times went under. When I worked downtown, my coworkers and I would go there a minimum of once a month and it always seemed to have a respectable crowd. Not packed, but not bad either. I imagine, though, that rents went up. The other place I still don't get how it went out of business was Draft. That place was amazing. Always packed.

I didn't necessarily mean lack of success as in lack of support and customer base, but rather lack of ability to remain in that location.

Honestly though, I never eat/do anything in Raleigh proper aside from St. Baldrick's, so I don't really have any basis to be making comments.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Joel Lane's on Glenwood shutting down after tonight too. I've never been there, but I saw it was closing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Joel Lane's on Glenwood shutting down after tonight too. I've never been there, but I saw it was closing.

That's kind of a surprise to me - seems like they've been around for awhile so I always assumed they had staying power/loyal customer base. Fork and Barrel not so much - poor visibility from Falls, menu wasn't as good as its predecessor in that space, and they had weird hours.

BTW anybody going to Brewgaloo tomorrow?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm in the Raleigh area this weekend for some business golf and I love to try different food.

Any suggestions that a Canadian might enjoy?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm in the Raleigh area this weekend for some business golf and I love to try different food.

Any suggestions that a Canadian might enjoy?

Gotta try one of the BBQ places for sure at some point. My recommendation is The Pit in Raleigh. Go at lunch as it's pricier at dinner and there's not much of a difference in portion size, certainly not enough to justify the price difference.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Also, if you think your system can handle the sugar shock, try some Bonjangles for breakfast with a Cajun Filet biscuit, and get their iced tea. Don't say I didn't warn you about the sugar shock though.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Gotta try one of the BBQ places for sure at some point. My recommendation is The Pit in Raleigh. Go at lunch as it's pricier at dinner and there's not much of a difference in portion size, certainly not enough to justify the price difference.

We are staying in Cary, playing Crooked Creek Sunday and Devils Ridge Monday in a tournament so I don't know that we will be in Raleigh, I'm guessing Cary is a suburb.

I do like BBQ though, what should I try?
Lunches will be at the golf courses, so looking for dinner. Maybe somewhere we can catch a playoff game Sunday night.

Also, if you think your system can handle the sugar shock, try some Bonjangles for breakfast with a Cajun Filet biscuit, and get their iced tea. Don't say I didn't warn you about the sugar shock though.

Not a sweet guy, looking forward to a southern breakfast though.

Thanks for the tips.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Chick Fil A. This Canadian is addicted.

Word of warning though - if you're social justice/equality minded, Chick-fil-A may be a place to avoid. Not sure if it was in the news much, if it all, in Canada, but the owners of the chain are evangelical Christians who donate to anti-marriage equality and anti-gay gruops pretty regularly.

Bojangles, that DaveG mentioned, is another fast food chain. Not exactly a place to get a "real" Southern breakfast, but not bad. For the "real Southern breakfast experience" I'd recommend going to the State Farmers Market Restaurant or Big Ed's City Market in Raleigh or Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill. Cary is technically a separate town from Raleigh but for all intents and purposes, it's a suburb - the line as to where Cary begins and Raleigh ends can be fairly murky at times.

As for what to try at a barbeque place, if you go to The Pit as has been recommended I usually go for their Carolina Classic Combo (chopped pork and a piece of fried chicken. I usually eat my pork and take my chicken to go to serve as a meal later) which comes with your choice of two sides. All of their sides are great - the baked beans are made with a little moonshine and I'm also a fan of their mac-n-cheese. At the table are two bottles of sauce - the darker, redder sauce is Western North Carolina style sauce which is tomato based. The lighter, more liquid sauce is Eastern North Carolina style sauce which is vinegar based. That's the most authentic to this region, but I encourage you to try both so that you can pick a side in the great barbeque debate. If you get dessert, there's only one truly authentic choice - banana pudding.

Lastly, if you're a beer fan at all, visit one of our fine local breweries.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Word of warning though - if you're social justice/equality minded, Chick-fil-A may be a place to avoid. Not sure if it was in the news much, if it all, in Canada, but the owners of the chain are evangelical Christians who donate to anti-marriage equality and anti-gay gruops pretty regularly.

Bojangles, that DaveG mentioned, is another fast food chain. Not exactly a place to get a "real" Southern breakfast, but not bad. For the "real Southern breakfast experience" I'd recommend going to the State Farmers Market Restaurant or Big Ed's City Market in Raleigh or Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill. Cary is technically a separate town from Raleigh but for all intents and purposes, it's a suburb - the line as to where Cary begins and Raleigh ends can be fairly murky at times.

As for what to try at a barbeque place, if you go to The Pit as has been recommended I usually go for their Carolina Classic Combo (chopped pork and a piece of fried chicken. I usually eat my pork and take my chicken to go to serve as a meal later) which comes with your choice of two sides. All of their sides are great - the baked beans are made with a little moonshine and I'm also a fan of their mac-n-cheese. At the table are two bottles of sauce - the darker, redder sauce is Western North Carolina style sauce which is tomato based. The lighter, more liquid sauce is Eastern North Carolina style sauce which is vinegar based. That's the most authentic to this region, but I encourage you to try both so that you can pick a side in the great barbeque debate. If you get dessert, there's only one truly authentic choice - banana pudding.

Lastly, if you're a beer fan at all, visit one of our fine local breweries.

Thanks, some good info there and correct, not looking for fast food/chain restaurants.

Is there anything in Cary? Like to get out Sunday night and watch some playoffs.

We are only there for two days with Monday being completely booked with our Client so I we won't have time to do any touring around. I can assume all the Bars/Restaurants will serve local brews?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Thanks, some good info there and correct, not looking for fast food/chain restaurants.

Is there anything in Cary? Like to get out Sunday night and watch some playoffs.

We are only there for two days with Monday being completely booked with our Client so I we won't have time to do any touring around. I can assume all the Bars/Restaurants will serve local brews?

Some of them will, but there are actually a lot of places out there that serve mostly macrobrews still. Typically, at least in a lot of places that aren't dedicated beer bars, they'll have about 2-3 NC beers on tap but they'll be mostly the typical fare instead of the rare very high quality stuff like Foothills Jade, or something along those lines. Best you'll probably find at those places is Lonerider's Shotgun Betty (Hefe), which actually is a pretty damn good beer.

Cary has the Carolina Ale House, which has a decent but not exceptional beer selection, but the food there has gone way downhill over the last 10 years as the franchise has expanded and is rather mediocre anymore. But if you're just going for a couple beers and maybe some nachos to much on during the game it's not a bad place to hit. They do a good job of keeping locals on tap there too, though you won't find any of the rare truly exceptional local beers like Foothills Jade or Foothills Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout on tap. They mostly have standard locals on tap but a few of those are high quality in their own right.

If you go with the Ale House skip the Red Oak and go with Foothills Torch Pils if you really want a lager. Stuff like the Lonerider Shotgun Betty, Lonerider Sweet Josie, and the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout (phenomenal beer) are more my speed that they offer but that all comes down to personal preference.

If you want to find more rarities like the Jade and Bourbon Barrel Stout I mentioned you'll probably have to either make your way to Apex Tyler's Taproom or Buck's Billiard just down from the Ale House that has them. Only a few taps there (8 IIRC) but Bucky does a great job of keeping some exceptional micros on tap. The Apex Tyler's is probably the best beer bar in Wake County outside of Raleigh itself.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
We are staying in Cary, playing Crooked Creek Sunday and Devils Ridge Monday in a tournament so I don't know that we will be in Raleigh, I'm guessing Cary is a suburb.
Given all that, I'd suggest Tyler's Taproom in Apex. It's near Cary and on your way back from both those courses. Lots of beer choices - local and otherwise - with about 75 on tap. Decent pub food too and sports-oriented place.

Edit: Dave, Bottle Mixx in N. Raleigh has a beer tasting event tonight, hosted by Foothills.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Some of them will, but there are actually a lot of places out there that serve mostly macrobrews still. Typically, at least in a lot of places that aren't dedicated beer bars, they'll have about 2-3 NC beers on tap but they'll be mostly the typical fare instead of the rare very high quality stuff like Foothills Jade, or something along those lines. Best you'll probably find at those places is Lonerider's Shotgun Betty (Hefe), which actually is a pretty damn good beer.

Cary has the Carolina Ale House, which has a decent but not exceptional beer selection, but the food there has gone way downhill over the last 10 years as the franchise has expanded and is rather mediocre anymore. But if you're just going for a couple beers and maybe some nachos to much on during the game it's not a bad place to hit. They do a good job of keeping locals on tap there too, though you won't find any of the rare truly exceptional local beers like Foothills Jade or Foothills Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout on tap. They mostly have standard locals on tap but a few of those are high quality in their own right.

If you go with the Ale House skip the Red Oak and go with Foothills Torch Pils if you really want a lager. Stuff like the Lonerider Shotgun Betty, Lonerider Sweet Josie, and the Duck Rabbit Milk Stout (phenomenal beer) are more my speed that they offer but that all comes down to personal preference.

If you want to find more rarities like the Jade and Bourbon Barrel Stout I mentioned you'll probably have to either make your way to Apex Tyler's Taproom or Buck's Billiard just down from the Ale House that has them. Only a few taps there (8 IIRC) but Bucky does a great job of keeping some exceptional micros on tap. The Apex Tyler's is probably the best beer bar in Wake County outside of Raleigh itself.

Again, great info....thanks.

Last question, make that three.

1) Is there a good BBQ place in Cary where we can also watch a game?

2) Any reviews on Crooked Creek?

3) Buck's Billiards can we watch a game there while shooting pool?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
playing Crooked Creek

Hole #3: Don't test the water. It's not warm.
Hole #4: There's a lot more room near the hole for your second shot than it will appear.
Hole #9: Don't try to fade around the dogleg on your tee shot. Hit it straight out there.
Hole #12: Good luck.
Hole #15: Better to err right than left.
Hole #18: If you have a long hook, great, but there's more room to hit straight than it may appear.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hole #3: Don't test the water. It's not warm.
Hole #4: There's a lot more room near the hole for your second shot than it will appear.
Hole #9: Don't try to fade around the dogleg on your tee shot. Hit it straight out there.
Hole #12: Good luck.
Hole #15: Better to err right than left.
Hole #18: If you have a long hook, great, but there's more room to hit straight than it may appear.

Thanks, decent course then or should I try and book something else?
Keep in mind I'm the only one who can play, other 3 are all high handicappers.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Given all that, I'd suggest Tyler's Taproom in Apex. It's near Cary and on your way back from both those courses. Lots of beer choices - local and otherwise - with about 75 on tap. Decent pub food too and sports-oriented place.

Edit: Dave, Bottle Mixx in N. Raleigh has a beer tasting event tonight, hosted by Foothills.

****, what time? If it's an 8PM start I might be able to make it.

Again, great info....thanks.

Last question, make that three.

1) Is there a good BBQ place in Cary where we can also watch a game?

2) Any reviews on Crooked Creek?

3) Buck's Billiards can we watch a game there while shooting pool?

not sure on BBQ in Cary, or at least not Carolina style BBQ. There's Danny's over by Waverly Place that (at least IMO) is extremely underrated. There's also Dickey's and Remmington Grill not far from the Ale House or Buck's Billiards at Crossroads... at least I'm fairly sure both are at Crossroads, I know Remmington Grill is for sure. All 3 are more generic BBQ though, with Remmington and Dickey's both being chains either nationally or regionally. Don't think any of the 3 have TVs though.

And yeah, as long as there's an open table at Buck's they're cool with people shooting and watching a game, there's something like 10 TVs in the place between the front and back part of the hall so that might be the place to go if that's what you have in mind for that night.

Haven't played Crooked Creek yet, unfortunately so I can't help you on that one. Usually I play Hillandale, The Crossings, or The Preserve. From the sounds of your group I'd write off The Preserve, you have to think about EVERY shot you hit there, it can be a beast though it's one I've cracked the 80 mark at before. Hillandale's not too bad and it's a Donald Ross design, though that means it can be frustrating for a player without much of a short game. I'd try Crooked Creek though, I've heard nothing but good things about the course.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
It runs from 5-8 pm and features Total Eclipse, Jade and their Maibock. Depending on the crowd, I wouldn't be shocked to see them hang around past 8:00 but just a guess.

I also noticed some Fullsteam growlers in the cooler last time I was there.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks, decent course then or should I try and book something else?
Keep in mind I'm the only one who can play, other 3 are all high handicappers.

It's a good course, not great, but good. My prediction is that all 4 of you will enjoy it.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I guess these food truck gatherings in the area are getting pretty popular, because I'm almost certain I've been asked if I wanted to go to one every single weekend for the past 4 or 5 straight.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I guess these food truck gatherings in the area are getting pretty popular, because I'm almost certain I've been asked if I wanted to go to one every single weekend for the past 4 or 5 straight.
The one last weekend was fun but could stand some improvement.

Get some music, more beer stands/tents from more brewers and outlaw those damn strollers and kiddie wagons. ;)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The one last weekend was fun but could stand some improvement.

Get some music, more beer stands/tents from more brewers and outlaw those damn strollers and kiddie wagons. ;)

Would be absolutely badass if they let homebrewers set up shop to do samples... just sayin. ;)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

not sure on BBQ in Cary, or at least not Carolina style BBQ. There's Danny's over by Waverly Place that (at least IMO) is extremely underrated. There's also Dickey's and Remmington Grill not far from the Ale House or Buck's Billiards at Crossroads... at least I'm fairly sure both are at Crossroads, I know Remmington Grill is for sure. All 3 are more generic BBQ though, with Remmington and Dickey's both being chains either nationally or regionally. Don't think any of the 3 have TVs though.

And yeah, as long as there's an open table at Buck's they're cool with people shooting and watching a game, there's something like 10 TVs in the place between the front and back part of the hall so that might be the place to go if that's what you have in mind for that night.

Haven't played Crooked Creek yet, unfortunately so I can't help you on that one. Usually I play Hillandale, The Crossings, or The Preserve. From the sounds of your group I'd write off The Preserve, you have to think about EVERY shot you hit there, it can be a beast though it's one I've cracked the 80 mark at before. Hillandale's not too bad and it's a Donald Ross design, though that means it can be frustrating for a player without much of a short game. I'd try Crooked Creek though, I've heard nothing but good things about the course.

Remington Grille is in Cary but it's awful. Also it's more burgers than barbeque. I've gone once, didn't finish my burger and declared never again. Honestly I can't think of any good barbeque places in Cary - I'll continue to rack my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad