Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I'm a fan of the Raleigh Brewing taproom as well, it's pretty massive once you get in there, plenty of room. They have a porter (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31134/92355) that I really enjoy.

I like Lonerider's beer as well, but I have no interest in driving out to Brier Creek to visit their new taproom.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Make some suggestions for the lad!

I always liked Big Boss when I lived in Raleigh; it might have been my favorite. Their tap room is great but in the weirdest location.

Raleigh Brewing is probably my favorite from a quality/convenience standpoint. Fullsteam up in Durham is a bit weird in what they do but they really have their stuff down now after they've struggled to find their identity. Lonerider is solid. I have yet to check out Trophy or White Street, but I've heard good things.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Someone should compile a list of all the area breweries and add it to the OP here. They are sort of interspersed throughout the current lists, and NC has become one of the brewery leaders in the past decade or so.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/

It says it was last updated last year, but it has breweries on the map that weren't open last year so somebody must be keeping it updated.

Edit: Raleigh Brewing is definitely the closest brewery to the arena, if that matters for visitors to the area.

Last edited:

newarkcbj

Aug 10, 2008
Newark/C-bus
Thanks definitely for all the suggestions. About a week ago or so I just google'd breweries in the area and Big Boss was the only 1 I remembered but certainly I will look into everything else. The fun part will be trying to get some of my buds to come with. Last year a bunch of them went out to Nashville, meanwhile I am yet to hit up my first game away from C-bus.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You got the State Fair going on the 17-27 which is a lot of fun. Not sure what else is going on in Raleigh during that time, but Asheville is beautiful that time of year, and Biltmore worth the drive if you've never been before.

Good to know. Not a big fair guy, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

JustHereForTheFights

Apr 16, 2013
Any opinions on Big Boss Brewing?

I'm there pretty often and they are solid. I'd say my favorites out of their regular lineup are Blanco Diablo (Belgian wit), Angry Angel (kolsch) and Bad Penny (dark brown ale). Several of their seasonals are awesome too--Harvest Time (pumpkin beer available in the fall) and Aces and Ates (coffee stout available in winter) are favorites of mine.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So that link I posted yesterday (http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/) now says it was updated as of today, and they definitely added at least 15 more statewide breweries to it. Crank Arm Brewing, a new brewery downtown, just mentioned (https://twitter.com/CrankArmBrew/status/359647274126684162) they'll be opening next week and will be NC brewery #80.

I passed by Crank Arm this past weekend - they're going in on W. Davie St. just up from The Pit and The Depot (where Videri, Tasty Beverage, and Jibarra are). Tasty Bev already has stickers for them. We were also at the NC Peach Festival this past weekend - Four Saints Brewing from Asheboro was there. Pretty cool to see a brewery in Asheboro considering just how recently it was dry up there.

So for those who are more text driven than map driven here's the brewery breakdown including the "coming soon" breweries (note this is limited to the Triangle and immediate environs - hence nothing in Eastern NC like DuckRabbit or in the Triad, like Foothills). If anyone has any more to add, let me know:

Raleigh (10 breweries)
Big Boss Brewing
Boylan Bridge Brewpub
Crank Arm Brewing
Gizmo Brew Works
Lonerider Beer
The Lynnwood Grill
Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing
Raleigh Brewing Company
Sub Noir Brewing
Trophy Brewing

Durham (3 breweries)
Bull City Burger and Brewery
Fullsteam Brewery
Triangle Brewing Company

Holly Springs (3 breweries)
Bombshell Beer Company
Carolina Brewing Company
Holly Springs Nano Brewing

Carrboro (2 breweries)
Starpoint Brewing
Steel String Brewing

Chapel Hill (2 breweries)
Carolina Brewery
Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery

Fuquay-Varina (2 breweries)
Aviator Brewing Company
Hosanna Brewing

Angier (1 brewery)
White Rabbit Brewing Company

Cary (1 brewery)
Fortnight Brewing Company

Clayton (1 brewery)
Deep River Brewing Company

Hillsborough (1 brewery)
Mystery Brewing Company

Saxapahaw (1 brewery)
Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Wake Forest (1 brewery)
White Street Brewing Company

And of course let's not forget our beloved bottle shops and higher end beer purveyors:

BottleMixx
Bottle Revolution
Sam's Quik Shop
Southern Season
Tasty Beverage Company
Total Wine & More

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Fantastic.

I'm really excited about checking out Crank Arm next time I visit Raleigh. I contributed to their Kickstarter so I guess I'll be getting a bunch of stuff in the mail from them soon. Beer and bikes is right up my alley.

By the way, if anyone ever wants to take a stab at creating a replacement for the guide on the first post of this thread, go for it. I'll sticky your thread and you can be the gatekeeper going forward. It's not really looking like I'll be returning to the area anytime soon if ever, so it probably doesn't make a ton of sense for me to continue maintaining it.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Pretty nice work there on that list, I honestly had no clue Lynnwood Grill brewed their own beer and I've been there within the last year.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm there pretty often and they are solid. I'd say my favorites out of their regular lineup are Blanco Diablo (Belgian wit), Angry Angel (kolsch) and Bad Penny (dark brown ale). Several of their seasonals are awesome too--Harvest Time (pumpkin beer available in the fall) and Aces and Ates (coffee stout available in winter) are favorites of mine.

Aces and Ates is absolutely phenomenal.

Aces and Ates is good but Natty Greene's coffee stout is phenomenal - just one of the best I think I've had and I love coffee stouts. If you swing by Bottle Revolution, as well, they're doing a Dragon's Latte - New Holland Dragon's Milk + Slingshot Cold Brewed Coffee. That was an instant "5 caps" for me on Untappd. Speaking of, anybody else here on Untappd? If so shoot me a PM and I'll drop you a friend request :)

Fantastic.

I'm really excited about checking out Crank Arm next time I visit Raleigh. I contributed to their Kickstarter so I guess I'll be getting a bunch of stuff in the mail from them soon. Beer and bikes is right up my alley.

By the way, if anyone ever wants to take a stab at creating a replacement for the guide on the first post of this thread, go for it. I'll sticky your thread and you can be the gatekeeper going forward. It's not really looking like I'll be returning to the area anytime soon if ever, so it probably doesn't make a ton of sense for me to continue maintaining it.

I'm excited about how much that part of downtown has developed - I still need to get out to Trophy and Raleigh Brewing (and the new Gizmo to support one of our own HFer's new business venture!) but I'm really looking forward to trying out Crank Arm. As for being the gatekeeper for the Guide, I'd be glad to take it on with the slight caveat that I may be relocating from Raleigh to Durham soon(ish) so the Durham content may start getting filled out a little more! Although if you do want a whole Triangle view, what better than somebody who's lived in Raleigh for 8 years, is probably moving to Durham, and who works in Chapel Hill?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Pretty nice work there on that list, I honestly had no clue Lynnwood Grill brewed their own beer and I've been there within the last year.

The brewery aspect seems to be pretty new - read something a few months ago that they were ordering/installing brewing equipment and their website seems to indicate that the beers are coming soon - maybe within the next week since there's mention of some of the beers launching (or maybe those beers will only be available on those days, but that seems like an awful lot of work to me...)

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
As for being the gatekeeper for the Guide, I'd be glad to take it on with the slight caveat that I may be relocating from Raleigh to Durham soon(ish) so the Durham content may start getting filled out a little more! Although if you do want a whole Triangle view, what better than somebody who's lived in Raleigh for 8 years, is probably moving to Durham, and who works in Chapel Hill?

Sounds great to me!

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Awesome list you have there. Bottle Revolution is one of my favorite places to go, especially with Guasaca and Which-wich being right next door. Both of those restaurants are great, Guasaca being one of the best southwestern style places I have ever been.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Awesome list you have there. Bottle Revolution is one of my favorite places to go, especially with Guasaca and Which-wich being right next door. Both of those restaurants are great, Guasaca being one of the best southwestern style places I have ever been.

We've got a Groupon to Guasaca that we keep forgetting to use. Might have to do an afternoon out at Bottle Rev and Guasaca before that thing expires. You are right though, it's in a great location and Chubby's Tacos isn't too far away either (in that shopping center with the Food Lion closer to 440). It doesn't hurt that Ted is just a ridiculously nice guy (and a Pens fan to boot!)

newarkcbj

Aug 10, 2008
Newark/C-bus
Man, all this talk of the local places is intriguing! Like a couple mentioned I also enjoy the coffee flavored brews perhaps some might be familiar with Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter. As for in NC I've had Highlands Black Mocha Stout, Asheville Brewings Ninja Porter and Carolina Blonde Cream Ale which I mainly got for the awesome Cape Hatteras package it came in. Trying to expand my palette foodwise, being spoiled by the chili in Cincinnati that Carolina BBQ sounds tasty.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Man, all this talk of the local places is intriguing! Like a couple mentioned I also enjoy the coffee flavored brews perhaps some might be familiar with Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter. As for in NC I've had Highlands Black Mocha Stout, Asheville Brewings Ninja Porter and Carolina Blonde Cream Ale which I mainly got for the awesome Cape Hatteras package it came in. Trying to expand my palette foodwise, being spoiled by the chili in Cincinnati that Carolina BBQ sounds tasty.

One of my absolute favorites. Though the Deschutes Abyss is my favorite of the style. One I had last night at Raleigh Brewing Company, their Hidden Pipe with coffee, is up there as well.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Beer + Cincinnati chili = my new favorite thread. Seriously, I make 8 servings of that stuff at a time and I can make it disappear in a week all by myself.

Nice work on that list, GP. I'll definitely be coming back to it, because I'm probably moving back to Raleigh at some point. And FWIW, I'm a fan of Big Boss too. Also highly recommend Sweet Josie by Lonerider.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Beer + Cincinnati chili = my new favorite thread. Seriously, I make 8 servings of that stuff at a time and I can make it disappear in a week all by myself.

Nice work on that list, GP. I'll definitely be coming back to it, because I'm probably moving back to Raleigh at some point. And FWIW, I'm a fan of Big Boss too. Also highly recommend Sweet Josie by Lonerider.

I'm more of a fan of Shotgun Betty. They do have some truly awesome experimental beers at their pub (The Hideout). Had a great coffee stout there this past winter. It's a shame they don't more widely advertise or distribute their one-offs and limited editions. I have noticed that True Britt, their ESB, is now in stores though.

I'm no fan of Cincinnati-style chili. I do, however, miss Hard Times for a decent bowl of red. FWIW, the family recipe chili that Roast Grill tops their hot dogs with is basically a Cincinnati style chili.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
What to do in Raleigh

I will be attending the game on Nov 7th against the Islanders.

I was just wondering what is there to do in Raleigh during the week day? Any restaurants to check out before the game. Any outlet malls in the area.

Thanks

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If you want to try out good Carolina BBQ check out The Pit for lunch in Raleigh. I say do lunch because, unless things have changed, the portions are about the same as you'd get at dinner but the prices are cheaper.

If you're a craft beer guy at all that scene is absolutely exploding in Raleigh, with Raleigh Brewing Co being my one of choice at the moment, though I need to head down 98 and check out White Street since Ian's relocated from Lonerider to them. Lonerider's solid too but they're more production oriented.

As for outlet malls, I know there's some stuff out west towards Greensboro but that's damn near an hour out of the way each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad